How can I make video games run worse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tabicat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 0:54    Post subject: How can I make video games run worse? Reply with quote
Is there any kind of setting I can use, or script I can run, that would make video games on a particular Ethernet port, run worse, without affecting normal web browsing? For example, slightly increasing lag/ping times?

I'm on a Netgear R7500v2 running DD-WRT v3.0-r44719.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
first update your old build...44719 is very old and full of security holes..
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/10-11-2022-r50474/netgear-r7500v2/

Than i guess you'd need to set up a vlan based scenario, on the switch port(make vlan on a isolated bridge, with different IP and subnet) and than use QoS to set port/subnet up/down speeds to funny values...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:15    Post subject: Re: How can I make video games run worse? Reply with quote
tabicat wrote:
Is there any kind of setting I can use, or script I can run, that would make video games on a particular Ethernet port, run worse, without affecting normal web browsing? For example, slightly increasing lag/ping times?

I'm on a Netgear R7500v2 running DD-WRT v3.0-r44719.
What exactly is your intended purpose or goal by selectively increasing latency? New Build - 10/12/2022 - r50485

Last edited by blkt on Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:11; edited 1 time in total
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
QoS YMMV, it will apply to all traffic from that machine, say if MAC priority were to be used. Wink You could see if the Services Priority has one filter or create your own using the Add/Edit Service button), but if you use the same elsewhere on another machine it will be equally affected.

With a managed switch, you have near infinite control to manage specific ports/MACs and services, so regular stuff would be fast, and specific stuff would be whatever you set, this assuming it's a target wired machine.

If you know the ports the specific application uses along with the target machine MAC you can create ACLs (access control lists) but this is something I never tried DD-WRT side only on high end managed switches and routers non DD-WRT. It maybe possible but not with unmanaged switches for wired and for Wireless, you will soon realize low end household routers will have a limitation even with DD-WRT.

And to reinforce what was already obviously stated your build is insanely risky filled with security holes many currently exploited in the wild.

UPGRADE / RESET / RECONFIGURE or dont in such case enjoy the endless possibilities like being part of a botnet.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
tyronjean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I totally get the curiosity, but it's generally not cool to intentionally make games worse for others. We all want to have a good time playing, right? If you're facing issues with a particular game or server, it's better to discuss it with the game's support or server administrators. Speaking of gaming, I've been pretty hooked on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive lately. The gameplay is intense, and I recently came across some CS2 skins on a marketplace that has added a whole new level of excitement to it.

Last edited by tyronjean on Mon Nov 27, 2023 14:14; edited 1 time in total
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
An educated guess would be to intentionally slow down the games being played on a PC, attached to a particular port, as per original poster.

For example, a dad might want to 'quietly' discourage his kid from playing too much on a computer which is placed in an open place, rather than banning it outright.

And Sherlock Holmes would say that it's likely you don't have any teenage kid. Smile
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am assuming OP is talking about multiplayer games.

For single player games, no. unless they require "always on" drm then you can PROBABLY prevent them from running?

Anyway for multiplayer, you would want to get the mac address of the computer the game is being played on and try using QOS on the specific computer. You want to slow down UDP traffic since video games use UDP.

you could also try blocking some TCP ports the video games use to connect to their servers. each video game / service uses a different port so you will need to figure that out for each game that is being played.

But thats just my somewhat educated opinion.

Anyway, what record are you going for exactly? quickest way to make your kid hate you enough to get you into a retirement home ASAP when hes older?

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
I am assuming OP is talking about multiplayer games.

For single player games, no. unless they require "always on" drm then you can PROBABLY prevent them from running?

Anyway for multiplayer, you would want to get the mac address of the computer the game is being played on and try using QOS on the specific computer. You want to slow down UDP traffic since video games use UDP.

you could also try blocking some TCP ports the video games use to connect to their servers. each video game / service uses a different port so you will need to figure that out for each game that is being played.

You certainly know about computer games. After all, it's part of your name' Smile

Quote:
Anyway, what record are you going for exactly? quickest way to make your kid hate you enough to get you into a retirement home ASAP when hes older?

I assume you're kidding. Otherwise, we are not that concerned since you ask.

You see, our children are now over 30s. They turned out to be well-balanced adults. One happens to be a member of a group that received an International Emmy Award in New York a couple of days ago. The other is currently doing a post-grad course. Both of them played games (very basic ones then, truth be told) on my work/home computer (running Intel 486 Dx4-100 Processor) back in late 90s.

There is certainly more to life than playing computer games. Such as Scouting, Taekwondo, Creative Dancing, Learning Piano and so on... for kids. Seriously.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I said "OP". I was trying to respond to the original poster of this thread. I was not responding to you at all.

Good to know your kids are all grown up and all though.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know. Thanks.

Somehow, I had the impression that it was me Embarassed you were asking since the OP wrote it more than three years ago.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your falling short, D.F. Cruizer.

Original poster made this thread on "Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:54 pm". I copied and pasted it from the first post.

This thread is about a year old.

for your own sake, Do better.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
What a necros...'digin in' an old thread, sharing details about kids at their 30's those sounds like grown adults to me... kid's Laughing Laughing

off the topic, messing with games and kids...QoS, with very low priority and low bandwith or iptables rules with rate limit on port and local IP and ect...

iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -m limit --limit 2/minute --limit-burst 10 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --sport 11211 -m limit --limit 1/s -j ACCEPT

something like, but choose a port and add local IP (destination IP must be their PC or phone and ect.) or source IP the game IP

and quickly will hate this game after a while, well you have to fiddle with the rate limits...and not all router will have full IP tables with m limit i guess

but ..if they know how to use VPN and, its a decent VPN that they can play their game or can force another IP address, all effort goes down the toilet Cool Cool Razz Laughing

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: