[GUIDE-UPDATED] AdGuard Home on DD-WRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
no

so i can explain it again but i doubt that you understand it

the default setting is "Use dnsmasq for DNS".
This setting does 3 things.

1. in the resolv.conf the ip-address of the router is written (for local DNS)
2. dnsmasq is started as a dns forwarder at 127.0.0.1:53
3. all clients receive the address of the router as DNS server via DHCP.

However, this is not desirable for this setup, so "Use dnsmasq for DNS" is deactivated.

This has the following effect.

1. the ip address of the DNS server configured in "basic Setup" is written to resolv.conf (for local dns)
2. dnsmasq is not started as a forwarder on 127.0.0.1:53
3. all clients receive the addresses of the DNS servers entered as "local dns" or "static dns" via DHCP.

Once again, the setting (dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.1) in "Additional Options" is redundant and superfluous.

Do not remove the entry under "local DNS" as this will result in no DNS server being configured in "resolv.conf" and the router having no local DNS.

But what am I talking about anyway, nobody understands anyway.

i understood this night I try your information, you must excuse me but I don't speak English very well...
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
And he's German. Thanks for the further explanation, @ho1Aetoo. So, the CORRECT settings are to set router IP in local / static DNS entry(ies), and un-tick "use dnsmasq for DNS" for this to be implemented correctly. Any other additional thoughts specific to AGH configs both in the DD-WRT UI and AGH UI?

We're at 13 pages, let's wrap it up, folks.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just removed the additional DNSMasq options (dhcp-option=6,192.168.X.1) and everything is fine now, no warning message for my extender in syslog
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am very happy that the professionals are giving me a helping hand in making AGH work on DD-WRT, and upon my return from a business trip, I will be happy to cooperate as much as I can to reach the optimal configuration that works for everyone.

Thank you, egc, for your truly understanding words. The topic is being raised for the first time and is not completely tested. There are different setups used by different users that need to be tested so that a final conclusion can be reached.

I never meant to insult my colleague, and perhaps he misunderstood my words when I said that I do not worship dnsmasq. Perhaps because we are from different cultures, this expression in my country means that I am bored of something or i am forced to adopt a certain opinion.

Finally, I apologize for my outburst and apologize to ho1Aetoo. I very much appreciate his posts, especially those related to pi-hole

TP-Link WR740n v5
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

2- dnsmasq still there working as a DHCP server. we will configure dnsmasq to advertise AGH as your only DNS server for your entire network. This can be done by adding these options to dnsmasq:
Go to "Service page > Dnsmasq Infrastructure > Additional Options" and add the following inside the box
Code:
no-resolv
dhcp-option=6,Router-IP #(ex. dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.1)

I changed your value to:

no-resolv
dhcp-option=br0,6,192.168.1.1

and now I have no warning in the syslog. I found this value from the configuration of Pi-Hole (look the screenshot)
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
DNSMasq already advertises the router as default DNS server, so superfluous if this is the routers IP address.
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
DNSMasq already advertises the router as default DNS server, so superfluous if this is the routers IP address.

but I have DNSMasq disabled, as written in the guide
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't do that if I were you!

And I have already told you many times that the option in the additional dnsmaq settings is superfluous

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
I wouldn't do that if I were you!

And I have already told you many times that the option in the additional dnsmaq settings is superfluous

I don't know who to listen to anymore 🤯
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
marcus83 wrote:
egc wrote:

but I have DNSMasq disabled, as written in the guide

But you are altering DNSMasq settings, what is the use of altering settings for a package you have disabled?

You can disable DNS then DNSMasq will handout the address as set in Local DNS, and the router itself will also use that address, so if you disable DNS the proper DNS servers address should be set as Local DNS.

But I would not disable DNSmasq or disable DNS at all, the smartest approach is to set the DNS server of choice as upstream resolver (which can be AGH, SmartDNS, Unbound or your private DNS server from AGH or NextDNS etc).

I have added NextDNS (comparable to AGH) to the router in the past but just as AGH it is rather bulky and memory hungry, lots of fancy things but nothing which convinced me.

SmartDNS with some standard Adblock gets the job done for me, but of course that is just my personal preference and it is very good that we have lots of choices with entware.

So keep up the good work but be more careful in the intructions and comments

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

But you are altering DNSMasq settings, what is the use of altering settings for a package you have disabled?

but the creator of the thread says that even if it is disabled it is always running:

Quote:

2- dnsmasq still there working as a DHCP server. we will configure dnsmasq to advertise AGH as your only DNS server for your entire network. This can be done by adding these options to dnsmasq:

Go to "Service page > Dnsmasq Infrastructure > Additional Options" and add the following inside the box

Code:
no-resolv
dhcp-option=6,Router-IP #(ex. dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.1)
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The creator of the thread is not very likely acquainted to the DNSmasq integration as well operation in DDWRT...so sad to say but you are the Ginny pig and you help with testing fiddling with it...well its very noble that you are doing it... Cool
As far as who to listen i rather stick to the egc and ho1Aetoo guidance/advise Cool Laughing
Once again SmartDNS has it all apart of Quic..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
The creator of the thread is not very likely acquainted to the DNSmasq integration as well operation in DDWRT...so sad to say but you are the Ginny pig and you help with testing fiddling with it...well its very noble that you are doing it... Cool
As far as who to listen i rather stick to the egc and ho1Aetoo guidance/advise Cool Laughing
Once again SmartDNS has it all apart of Quic..

sorry, but if you have your own correct guide, why don't you create a thread like this?? 🤔
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have our own threads, but they are not about AGH - because none of us seem to use it.
we might as well leave you alone with your problems since you won't accept proposed solutions anyway
then you just have to wait until the thread creator comes back from traveling

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
marcus83
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
We have our own threads, but they are not about AGH - because none of us seem to use it.
we might as well leave you alone with your problems since you won't accept proposed solutions anyway
then you just have to wait until the thread creator comes back from traveling

ok I understand, tonight I'll reprogram AGH again with DNSmasq and see if everything works without any problems, I'll keep you updated.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: