DNS Leak - (1) Path Network the rest are Cloudfare??

sunrise495
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 18:33    Post subject: DNS Leak - (1) Path Network the rest are Cloudfare?? Reply with quote
Linksys 3200ACM
Build = r53633 (10/14/23)

When running a dns leak test Path Network is always showing up 1st, then it trickles over to Cloudfare. I have:

ignore WAN dns selected
Use dnsmasq for DNS selected
DHCP-Authoritative selected
Force DNS Redirection Selected

The order of my static dns are:

Why does Path Network show as 1st hit? I under stand they are a big park of the internet in the North East.... but shouldn't I go straight to Cloudfare.

I still have my training wheels on when it comes to "all of this networking stuff". Any insight is appreciated. Thank Tim
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are your configurations on the "Services -> Services" tab, especially in "Additional Options" under Dnsmasq Infrastructure? Quad9 may be getting polled first, depending on your configuration, and you may also want to check "Forced redirection DoT".
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
sunrise495
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 21:23    Post subject: You The Man! Forced DNS Redirection DoT - Fix it! Reply with quote
By selecting "Forced DNS Redirection DoT" I only get Cloudfare hits on the dns leak test... no more "Path Network". You fixed it!

Out of the "5" options in the dns section, basic setup, the only one I do not have checked is "Recursive DNS Resolving (Unbound)" at this time. Not sure what this one does.... so is it ok to have the other 4 selected (see image).

Last question... As far as my build, r53633 - 10/14/23. From what I read, this is the last stable version using the "old kernel". I am hosting a Wireguard vpn tunnel, and from what I read, the new version are slower on the Wireguard side of the house?

Once again.... Thanks for the help!! Happy Holidays!!!
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unbound is another available DNS resolver in the firmware. Not absolutely necessary to enable it unless you want to learn how to set it up. There should also be SmartDNS on the "Services -> Services" tab, but again, not necessary unless you want to learn how to set it up.

In regards to your query regarding Wireguard and kernel, the only way you are going to have the latest fixes for WG is to be on the current release, and there have been developments since the build you are on. Entirely your own call on that.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
sunrise495
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 22:26    Post subject: Smart DNS Reply with quote
Smart DNS looks interesting.... this option translates into faster web surfing?? Many of the YouTube folks are talking mostly about Geo location blocking??? I have no need for this. Speed yes, unblocking no.

Is the setup just turning it on in the Services area? Is it free, or am I pointing to a paid server? YouTube guys are confusing me on this point...

How do you prove the "faster speed" aspect, and am I still using dns server that "aren't logging" my request?

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks agin.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:18    Post subject: Re: You The Man! Forced DNS Redirection DoT - Fix it! Reply with quote
sunrise495 wrote:
By selecting "Forced DNS Redirection DoT" I only get Cloudfare hits on the dns leak test... no more "Path Network". You fixed it!

Out of the "5" options in the dns section, basic setup, the only one I do not have checked is "Recursive DNS Resolving (Unbound)" at this time. Not sure what this one does.... so is it ok to have the other 4 selected (see image).

Last question... As far as my build, r53633 - 10/14/23. From what I read, this is the last stable version using the "old kernel". I am hosting a Wireguard vpn tunnel, and from what I read, the new version are slower on the Wireguard side of the house?

Once again.... Thanks for the help!! Happy Holidays!!!

WireGuard documentation is a sticky in this forum
The VPN and DNS guide would have told you how to deal with this

The new kernel 6.1 is at this moment considerably slower both in using WireGuard as in normal LAN<>WAN throughput.
But optimizations are being researched to mitigate this.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: