Is it worth uploading new firmware to 4MB devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Golpesar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 18:36    Post subject: Is it worth uploading new firmware to 4MB devices? Reply with quote
Hi,

4MB devices have insufficient room to host latest features included in new updating firmware.

I have a TPLink-MR3020 V1. Fortunately, DD-WRT supports it. However, It is a 4MB device. It cannot run the latest Linux core. Firmware is announced very fast. But, all firmware tell me the same old version of Linux is running (because there is no room for new Linux core).

It seems that the only thing which happens for 4MB devices is re-compiling the same old features.

The main questions:

Is there anything or any feature which is updated in new announcing firmware for 4MB devices? Is it worth uploading each (or some) new announced firmware to 4MB devices? IMHO, there is nothing new in firmware for 4MB devices, except some menu changes, and time date services for Summer Time. Am I right?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Old firmware's may contain security flaws and lack of updated binaries that are important for normal routers functioning...sadly 4MB devices are also very low on specs and do not deliver performance..
You can update and keep your settings...and than reset only if router behaves odd..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for Alozaros' comment. Without following the Trac SVN for each router, it's hard to say to be honest. For sure the core functions are getting updated (or the filesize and checksum would not change).

But....can a new version of OpenVPN for example, be made to compile and work under a v2.x or v3.x kernel? That would be challenging, to say the least. I guess the only way to find out would be to check the versions of the underlying apps installed and what bug/security fixes have been merged into old code. ie WireGuard and OpenVPN (where supported), among others. I may try to update some very old WRT54GLs to the latest version after the holidays. Just to do a check on this. Not much really to check on a 4MB router. I mean, "who would ever need more than 640KB RAM" Bill Gates Rolling Eyes

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
Golpesar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
Old firmware's may contain security flaws and lack of updated binaries that are important for normal routers functioning...sadly 4MB devices are also very low on specs and do not deliver performance..
You can update and keep your settings...and than reset only if router behaves odd..

Thank you Alozaros for your clear and technical explanation.

lexridge wrote:
+1 for Alozaros' comment. Without following the Trac SVN for each router, it's hard to say to be honest. For sure the core functions are getting updated (or the filesize and checksum would not change).

But....can a new version of OpenVPN for example, be made to compile and work under a v2.x or v3.x kernel? That would be challenging, to say the least. I guess the only way to find out would be to check the versions of the underlying apps installed and what bug/security fixes have been merged into old code. ie WireGuard and OpenVPN (where supported), among others. I may try to update some very old WRT54GLs to the latest version after the holidays. Just to do a check on this. Not much really to check on a 4MB router. I mean, "who would ever need more than 640KB RAM" Bill Gates Rolling Eyes

and you lexridge, for your detailed and accurate help.
It's your kindness that let me know the conclusion.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: