Built in speedtest is worthless?

UnicornStallion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:07    Post subject: Built in speedtest is worthless? Reply with quote
I can run it once and get 10 Mbps, I can run it again and get 30 Mbps. I can run it on my wifi connected computer and get 80 Mbps on average.

The data provided by the built in speed test is so worthless that the feature might as well not even exist in my opinion. It always reports speeds FAR slower than what my clients actually get.

- USB hard disk plugged into router as NAS drive.
Sponsor
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:46    Post subject: Re: Built in speedtest is worthless? Reply with quote
UnicornStallion wrote:
I can run it once and get 10 Mbps, I can run it again and get 30 Mbps. I can run it on my wifi connected computer and get 80 Mbps on average.

The data provided by the built in speed test is so worthless that the feature might as well not even exist in my opinion. It always reports speeds FAR slower than what my clients actually get.

I can say that Ookla's speed test always report better throughput than DD-WRT's built-in speedtest_cli! Smile

Is speedtest_cli useless? Um... depending on usage? Good enough for LAN and WLAN? WAN test requires a good outsider server?

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
UnicornStallion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 18:59    Post subject: Re: Built in speedtest is worthless? Reply with quote
mwchang wrote:
I can say that Ookla's speed test always report better throughput than DD-WRT's built-in speedtest_cli! Smile

Basically all speed tests I've tried always report better results. And I'm talking 6 to 8 times faster. For example, dd-wrt's speed test the other day told me 10.8 Mbps. speedof.me and Ookla both gave me 80 Mbps. If the dd-wrt one were off by a few Mbits, that would be one thing. But when it's off by a factor of 6 to 8? I don't see how it is useful for anything other than misleading people into thinking dd-wrt is performing much worse than it actually is.

UnicornStallion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw, just to make sure the test was completely fair, I ran another test today and ensured that dd-wrt's built in test and the Ookla test were using the exact same server. The PC I ran the Ookla test from is connected to the same dd-wrt router via a 5 Ghz wifi connection.

Here are the results.

speedtest.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.36 KB
 Viewed:  566 Time(s)

speedtest.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: