Features Worth Highlighting?

obtain_delay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 17:53    Post subject: Features Worth Highlighting? Reply with quote
So as y'all know, DD-WRT is crazy powerful. Thank you to all the hard work the developers and contributors put into this amazing software.

Recently I found a compatible router at my local thrift store for literally $5. Being a content creator, I was like "this is too good to pass up." I'm planning to make a tutorial video about how to flash DD-WRT and some of the features that are particularly noteworthy - specifically VLANs, guest networks, DNS, and loading a VPN come to mind. What are some other features that this community feels I should make sure to highlight in said video? Please keep in mind that my target audience is "normie" users, so this video is already going to be WAY more advanced than my normal content. I know that DD-WRT is already insanely powerful, so I want to find that balance between overwhelming people with extremely advanced and niche stuff and giving them a good overview of some of the things they can do that they might find useful or good to know. I'm open to suggestions and thanks in advance.

(Apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum to ask.)
Sponsor
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well depending on the router you found for $5, there is no guarantee the aforementioned features you want to blog about will work with particular router. Many of the advanced features are usually reserved for higher end routers with multi-core CPUs. ie, OpenVPN (very CPU intensive), Wireguard, VLANs, etc.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you post videos based on the works of many voluntary developers behind DD-WRT with a view to making money from YouTube watchers, you would be, at least, morally obliged to discuss that fact first with them.

I am not sure about the legal aspects of it.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bear in mind not only the profit side shines above...you need to keep those so called "free Guides of how to do this and that in DDWRT..." up to date.. as whatever you did it back there it may not apply..today...as DDWRT is in constant beta stage...so everything may change...tomorrow... Laughing
And there are tons of youtube videos that ive seen, anyway... Laughing lot of crap ones too... Laughing

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: