DD-WRT on Netgear WGT624 V2 (and V1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
brainbone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
searched the forum?

Yes. I see information on the WGT624 v4, but not much, sans this original thread started by me, on the v2.

The v4 appears to have a different switch (ADM6996FC) compared to the V2 (M 88E6060), so I'm not sure if the v4 information would apply the v2.

While I don't think the bootloader is redboot, it apparently can load and execute elf binaries via tftp.
Sponsor
brainbone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I seem to be stuck trying to get a good backup of the firmware with tjtag 3.0.1. If anyone has any pointers on what could be causing the issues I'm having, I'm all ears.
brainbone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok,

So it looks like I've been able to read/backup my flash with the windows version of urjtag 0.10 using the following:

cable WIGGLER parallel 0x378
include atheros/ar2312/ar2312
poke 0x58400000 0x000e3ce1
detectflash 0x1fc00000
readmem 0x1fc00000 0x400000 backup.bin

I'm not sure if I'll be able to write with urJtag, but when I give it a shot, I'm not sure what redboot to try.

From here, it looks like the "redboot_ap51_16M_4M_marvell.rom" may be the best fit, but I'm not sure if the WGT624v2 is AP51.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by brainbone on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25; edited 1 time in total
brainbone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, redboot_ap51_16M_4M_marvell.rom didn't work (router is frozen with all 5 (WAN + 4 port switch) network status lights solid. Forced to use JTAG to recover.)

This redboot rom built for the Dlink DWL-2100AP works somewhat, though I can't seem to get the switch working. I can load and flash in redboot via xmodem on the serial console however.

So, at this point I have the WGT624v2 running a redboot for the DWL-2100AP.

Any pointers on where to go from here would be appreciated.
gypsy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what I've read, the 2100AP doesn't have a switch at all, just one direct port.

I've tried the ap51 and ap61 redboots with Marvell support, both crash with "Invalid CPU access" (can provide further detail if needed) but reboot the router instead of locking it up. Just as useless though =P

Unfortunately, I don't quite know where to go from here either. I can throw vxWorks firmwares at it and they'll mostly work, but they're basically useless. I wonder if it would be possible to boot DD-WRT from the vxWorks bootloader or the 2100AP redboot, without writing it to flash. Just to see how it behaves until someone comes up with a solution.

EDIT: From more stuff I've read, and after analyzing the entire "Supported Devices" list on the DD-WRT wiki, I only found *one* other Atheros device with 2MB flash, the WRT54G2 v1.5. In this post, BrainSlayer says 2MB Atheros is possible as long as there is 16MB RAM, which the WGT624 v2 has. As it's been years, I'm sure we'd all appreciate some support (and buy licenses for DD-WRT).

Having 16MB RAM, it *should* be possible to compress a micro Atheros DD-WRT image (if it were to be built), decompress it into RAM with a redboot with compression support, and run it from there. We'd just really appreciate something a bit more stable and functional than the garbage stock firmware these things come with.
brainbone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems that there is some difference between individual WGT624v2. Mine has 4MB flash, where I see some reported with only 2MB.

I believe the DWL 2100AP has a IC+ IP101, single port Ethernet transceiver -- so not compatible with the WGT624v2.

Since the DWL 2100AP redboot bootloader does allow loading and flashing using x-modem, it should be possible to load a DDWRT firmware from the serial console -- I just can't find one that seems a good enough fit to try (ar2313 / marvel / 4MB / 16MB).
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
there wont be any 2mb atheros flash support, never!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any recommendation on a DDWRT firmware I could try for WGT624v2 with 4MB?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
use ap48 marvel microredboot from svn
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/browser/ar5315_microredboot/microredboot/images_default?rev=13090

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
are there any news about this project?!
AmEv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought this router used for $5, and it seemed like a good candidate for upgrading to DD-WRT for a wireless bridge (for our home theater system).

I've been trying to use it as a bridge using the stock firmware and telnetting into it, but I couldn't even bring up Google that way.

Any updates/suggestions on this router?

Found this: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/browser#ar5315_microredboot/microredboot/images_default
I have the 4MB flash and 16MB RAM.
AmEv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I've got an Arduino at my disposal. It has an onboard USB-serial adapter. Any way to connect my router up that way?
bengt_a
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 19:26    Post subject: WGT624 v2 - some years later... Reply with quote
Hi,
I have a rather old WGT624 which is not working well at all. I would like to put DD-WRT on it, but this thread doesn't really give any clues to if it would work, nor how.

Did anyone ever succeed? If so, how?

Cheers,
Bengt in Sweden
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: