RSSI values of all WiFi devices in range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ivoroes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:39    Post subject: RSSI values of all WiFi devices in range Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a Linksys WRT54G2 router running the 2.4 DD WRT firmware. Using wl rssi [MAC] I can check the RSSI to a client connected to the router. Is it also possible to check the RSSI for clients that are not connected yet. Kind of like a site survey but then with client devices (PDA's, laptops, etc)

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
ivoroes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
does anyone know if this is possible?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiviz displays client devices including their signal strength but it's not included in the mini firmware.
ivoroes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
But by client devices do you mean the ones that are connected to the router? Because this is not really what i mean. I want to get the RSSI to a device that is in the neighboorhood of the router but is not connected to it (so it does not have an IP address)
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I mean any device that is not an AP. They don't have to be connected to anything but if they're connected to any AP then they'll be transmitting more and easier to find.
ivoroes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great thanks phuzi0n for the tip of Wiviz. I was running the micro version on my WRT54G2 (only version possible for this router). I have now got an WRT54GL with the standard version running and this is exactly what i needed.

One final thing, is it easy to save the data generated by wiviz into a database ? For example with RFlow?
johnny_s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi...
i am trying to do the same as you (ivoroes) but my idea was running tcpdump with the router in monitor mode... I will try Wiviz too, i am starting to develop some kind of location system and i need the RSSI of every device to locate them.
if you or someone got some ideas to help me please say something...
thank you
usmanca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 20:26    Post subject: How to modify delay between RSSI samples Reply with quote
Hi,
I am trying to use wl aciargs to modify the delay between different rssi samples. But i am unable to do so.
Errors i am having are :

root@WRT54GL:/jffs/usr/sbin# ./wl aciargs spin 1
eth1: Operation not supported
Cannot get ACI args for setting
aciargs Get/Set various aci tuning parameters. Choices are:
enter: CRS glitch trigger level to start detecting ACI
exit: CRS glitch trigger level to exit ACI mode
glitch Seconds interval between ACI scans when glitchcount is continuously high
spin: Num microsecs to delay between rssi samples
Usage: wl aciargs [enter x][exit x][spin x][glitch x]

Can anyone please highlight the problem ?
gainer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39    Post subject: WiFi Localization Reply with quote
Hi. I am trying to make a wifi localization system within my house. I have my devices connected to a known access point (default router) and am trying to monitor these devices RSSI values from 1 or more additional routers through wiviz. This seems to be working okay. I just need to figure out how to grab the data off of the wiviz enabled DD-WRT router. Any thoughts?

I feel like this is a fairly hot topic on the internet and it would be awesome to find some really useful information on how to do this. If anyone comes across a really awesome website that clearly explain how to do this PLEASE let me (and the rest of the interested parties) know.

Any advice would help. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: