Speed tests (WRT54G v3.1 and WRT54GL)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
fish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I am positive that everything is OK, becouse I was using switch before and everything worked just fine. I will try connecting switch to router and use router only for wlan.
Sponsor
wiz561
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting topic... I've been having issues with speed and my cable modem. I pay for 6meg down / 1meg up. It really varies, but I'd say it's rare that I get the full 6 meg down. Usually, it's about 1 meg down 1 meg up.

So today, I started to try to figure this thing out. It turns out that my wrt54g box cuts about half of the bandwidth. So, for example, on the cable modem side, using speedtests, it says I am getting 6 meg down / 1 meg up. Now if I go through wrt54g (using the wired ports), I get about 3 meg down / 1 meg up. Going through the wireless is really embarassing. It's about 500k down / 600k up.

So, I think I finally found my bottleneck. I find it somewhat comforting to know that others share the same problems. I think for now, I'm going to try to look into implementing something on a x86 box.
Mastec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are my recent speed tests...

My PC wired to my WRT54GLv1.1 w/DD-WRT v23 SP2 std

My wifes laptop wirelessly connected to the GL

My kids desktop wired to the WRT54Gv3 Client Bridge upstairs
Jonathan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I think the Broadband Reports test may underestimate your maximum connection bandwidth.

This afternoon, after finding SNMP Traffic Grapher, I decided to put it to the test. My home network is a brand-new (5 days old) Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with dd-wrt v23 sp2, running WPA-PSK TKIP encryption to a new Dell XPS m1210 laptop with a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo. The Buffalo is set to 40 mW output, and is about 20 feet away as the crow flies through a wall, a floor and a wooden door.

I have an account with Giganews, so I ran Usenet Explorer, and downloaded a binary ISO of Slackware Linux 11. Mind you, this connection itself is encrypted using STunnel.

I posted download speeds of more than 16 Mbps. My ISP is Comcast, in the Maryland, USA area.

Needless to say, I was surprised. On my older d-Link router using WPA-PSK and a PIII 1 GHz, I wouldn't get over 7 Mbps on a good day.

By contrast, the Broadband Reports test maxed out just now at about 4.5 Mbps.

Something to think about when speed testing -- I don't think some of those tests really show what your broadband connection, router and computer hardware can do.

DD-WRT on the Buffalo has been fantastic, by the way. Rock solid and no dropped connections (unless I did something stupid that necessitated a reboot or reset to defaults). I'm still figuring out all of what I can do with it.
SebasMiles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a new WRT54GL 1.1 router. I have the sp2 firmware installed.
I am on an edu connection. I connect to the lan which dhcp's me the static ip. Now before using the router, my friend was able to download off my ftp at regular lan speed (atleast 6MB/s). However once I set up the router, even with a disabled firewall and disabling the VPN stuff(dunno if it would help) I still just get 2100KB/s sending to him. I am connected to the wired port and have the proper port forwarding including the PASV ports for the FTP.

Most ppl dont experience these problems cuz theyre connected to the internet which often has very slow upload and most dont run elaborate networks. So what would cause a throttling on the upload of a LAN -> WAN connection through the router ?
I did a speedtest on the website and my download seems just fine with it reporting over 30mbit (I actually have 100mbit but there is a limit per thread due to distance).

Anything I should disable to increase my upload? the load on the router didnt even come close to getting dented at all.
fgimenez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
dudes, I'm a proud owner of a WRT54GL. I was using rp-pppoe coz I like free software.
It was eating about 80% CPU with my 5mbit adsl maxed out.

After reading this thread I switched to the other pppoe daemon (pppoecd) and it uses almost no CPU (top reported 0% for pppoecd).
Either "top" was kidding me or this pppoecd binary has some serious optimizations for this platform (or maybe there is some hardware feature rp-pppoe doesn't know about).

Too bad that ksoftirqd_CPU0 eats the CPU when using wireless but I only use wireless to work from home and I don't really need too much bandwith for that.

Cheers
Scrufdog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
dunno if this info would help at all.....

On my WRT54G 3.1 I had the latest v23 SP2 on it and on my 4Mps comcast connection, the best I could get downoading was 538Kbs download speed, on a single download. With multiple downloads at once I would bog down to about 200Kbs.

After a week of tweaking, messing around, trying different network cards, I decided to flash back to factory firmware. Immediately after flashing I was getting speeds up to 1.5Mps. That lasted a day, so I thought I'd reflash with DD-WRT. Speeds dropped once again to 538/200.

Dunno what was going on, no extras were enabled, nothing special going on.
ss284
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive also had similar "problems" with my belkin router. While ok for home use, it seems the router tops out at around 15-20Mbps, while I can easily hit 40Mbps when directly connected into the lan socket. Are there any consumer routers that can handle this amount of data?
jimcovert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I have a wrt54GL that was also acting like a bottleneck to my WAN link. Speed tests without the router showed ~1.3 Mpbs, with the router i never got above ~450 Kbps.

Then I remembered I'd enabled QoS. Duh.

Even worse? I'd set the uplink speed on QoS to ~450 Kbps, which was what I was getting before I called my phone company and complained that my connection was 1/8 the speed they advertise.

As soon as i disabled QoS it jumped back to ~1.3 Mbps.

I then tried to enable QoS again, but with the faster bandwidth. I followed the instructions and set the uplink to 1000 Kbps, which is about 80% of 1.3 Mbps. As I expected, the speed test came back at what I'd set the max download to. When I put the uplink speed up to 1500 kbps I started getting the full 1.3 Mbps again.

Lesson: Check all your settings before you blame the router. My problem wasn't the router, but the settings I'd assigned to it.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to leave QoS on or not- Right now I'm thinking that I'll disable it, but re-enable it if bittorrent starts hogging all the bandwidth again.
Ankh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a WRT54GL v1.1
I've got 22Mbit internet in the netherlands.
So my setup is:
Cable modem -> linksys -> switch > pc
There is an switch after my router because i got an server with gigabit.

When i download through firefox i get 900KB/s
When downloading usenet 1,5MB/s using 4 connections, if using 8 connections my internet will go hogging :/ So if my router has something strange or my cable modem..?

I can't find anything about this in my router functions...
staripper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgrade to RC3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a 26 Megabit WAN Access. Does the WRT54GL v.1.1 do this or should i buy a new router?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
It depends on whether you need to use PPPoE. Didn't you read the
first posting in this thread?

Since you are from Würzburg, Germany, and you have mentioned
"26 Mbit/sec", I suppose you are talking about internet via TV cable.
In this case you are not going to use PPPoE, so the WRT54GL will
be able to handle 26 Mbit/s.
AzuraelX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel sorry for those poor folks who have to use PPPoE/PPPoA. It seems to be a cause of problems for 90% of connections that depend upon it! Makes me think it would probably be worth building up a low-power x86 box for some people, like maybe an old Via C3-based Mini-ITX board.

I'm glad I'm on Virgin Media cable and don't need it, because I don't think the 125MHz CPU in my F5D7230-4 v1222uk would cope very well...
hrts1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 22:13    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G/GL Reply with quote
Hi. I own a WRT54GL with dd-wrt v23 sp2 that is connected directly to the FO of the provider through a media converter. Provider uses PPOE. The speed in the contract is 40 Mbps to metropolitan area and 2 Mbps to Internet. I get 24-26 Mbps using cable to the router and only 16 Mbps using WIFI with WPA2. Is any chance to get more with WPA 2 with any new RCs?

Thank you.

PS: the speeds mentioned above are measured with Netlimiter on my PC and SNMP Traffic Grapher on the router and both shows the same speed. With PC connected directly to the provider I get 34 Mbps (FTP transfer from provider's FTP server - 4,5 GB file - Knoppix in ISO format)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: