Speed tests (WRT54G v3.1 and WRT54GL)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 22:23    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54G/GL Reply with quote
hrts1 wrote:
Hi. I own a WRT54GL with dd-wrt v23 sp2 that is connected directly to the FO of the provider through a media converter. Provider uses PPOE. The speed in the contract is 40 Mbps to metropolitan area and 2 Mbps to Internet. I get 24-26 Mbps using cable to the router and only 16 Mbps using WIFI with WPA2. Is any chance to get more with WPA 2 with any new RCs?

Thank you.

PS: the speeds mentioned above are measured with Netlimiter on my PC and SNMP Traffic Grapher on the router and both shows the same speed. With PC connected directly to the provider I get 34 Mbps (FTP transfer from provider's FTP server - 4,5 GB file - Knoppix in ISO format)

New topic would be appropriate... My first answer is not constructive...you might want to try tomato... Just to try the performance...

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
Sponsor
hrts1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you!
Initially I wrote that I will give a try.
But after checking Tomato website for OpenVPN capabilities I did not found any resource for this subject.
I will try Tomato when they will provide OpenVPN support - at least as easy as it is in DD-WRT (I am a dummy user).

Thank you for your help.
I think that I must stay on the current limitation... or buy another router.
boran_blok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
A question,

what does this speed test measure ? is it WAN speed ?
or is it LAN speed ?

In other words, if I use PPOE and WPA will I get a LAN speed of 4 MBPS between 2 computers on my network ?
hrts1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.
I am using 2 measurements:

1. Netlimiter (running on local PC) that measures the overall speed of my PC network card.
2. SNMP Traffic gauge that measures the traffic of the WAN interface of the router. It uses the SNMP service from the router to get the WAN interface counters.
For this graphic I used this post: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2563

In my particular case, where my PC is the only client of the Router, these speeds are the same.
Nefaste
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
hrts1 wrote:
Thank you!
Initially I wrote that I will give a try.
But after checking Tomato website for OpenVPN capabilities I did not found any resource for this subject.
I will try Tomato when they will provide OpenVPN support - at least as easy as it is in DD-WRT (I am a dummy user).

Thank you for your help.
I think that I must stay on the current limitation... or buy another router.

Tomato with OpenVPN

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53233
Pierewiet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!

I was trying to optimize my wireless throughput when I noticed this throughput is heavily influenced by other activity on the LAN.

Here is my setup:

WRT54G v3.1 using DD-WRT v23 SP2.
A wireless client WPA AES (client A)
A wired client 100Mbps (client B)
Another wired client 100Mbps (client C)
A cable modem.

1. Client A copies a large file from client B.
- Wireless throughput > 19Mbps.
2. Client C starts downloading a couple of large files from internet.
- Download speed about 10Mbps.
- Wireless throughput drops to about 10Mbps.
- Router status shows a load average of 100%.

Has anybody else seen this behaviour? Is there something I can do to optimize this situation or is this by design?
radkol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 15:02    Post subject: Linksys wrt54gl v1.1 with dd-wrt sp2 speed problem Reply with quote
Hi,

After so many posts I'm confused, totally confused what is wrt54gl/sp2 capable to do as traffic speed. Could someone help?

I did very simple tests. I have LAN internet at home /40Mb/s - country peering and 4Mb/s International/.
When I connect my laptop directly to internet cable I use wget to download one big file and got 2.6MB/s, I did it few times to collect average speed, so in worst case it was 1.6MB/s - 2.6MB/s.
Then I connect internet cable to the router WAN interface and connect my laptop to the router LAN port. Downloading of the same file almost at the same time was up to 1.6MB/s.
And finally I disconnect the laptop from LAN and use wireless /WPA2+AES/ downloading the same file was up to 1.3MB/s.

What I'm really not glad to is the performance degradation of that router, I cannot understand why I lost around 500KB/s from direct internet connection and connection through LAN port on the router. The only think router does is NAT. I cannot believe that the router is so poor and simple NAT is causing such a degradation on LAN level.

I asked colleague of mine to do the same test and he prove it, he found ~500kB/s slower download though router LAN compared to direct internet.

Could someone help with this., is there any setting we can do and fix this stuff, I mean to reach almost the same speed on the LAN port as it it directly connected to the internet, especially when there is only one client and router does nothing else?

Is that the router problem or it's combination with dd-wrt? Anyone tested any of other firmwares - openwrt, tomato ...

Thank you in advance.
Pierewiet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pierewiet wrote:
Hi!

I was trying to optimize my wireless throughput when I noticed this throughput is heavily influenced by other activity on the LAN.

Here is my setup:

I always like to talk to myself. Smile

For anybody who cares: I did the same test using Tomato 1.13. The wireles performance now only dropped about 5 percent.
gunnar-linksys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about the original Linksys FW ?
How does it compare performancewise ?
lfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT54G v3.1 Wink
hrts1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Top speed of WRT54GL v1.1 over WiFi (WAP Personal with TKIP), PPOE connection to Internet provider is 2,7 MB/s. Test done by downloading 4,5 GB iso image from my provider FTP site.

see
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31376

for details.
dadoors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:52    Post subject: Dual Wan WRT54GL v1.1 + v23 sp2 firmware = 30mbs+ download! Reply with quote
my dual wan setup using a WRT54GL v1.1 pulling from 2 cable modems each capable of 15megs down / 2megs up for a grand total of 30megs down/4megs up [did not test wireless abilities] but the router itself is more than capable [if overclocked to 250mhz].

downloadspeed.JPG
 Description:
my curent download speed
 Filesize:  26.18 KB
 Viewed:  28182 Time(s)

downloadspeed.JPG

alcalina
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try use some radius server to see if you have some improvement in the speed?

Now I see I need to do my pppoe modem to do the authentication and use the wrt54g-tm as a router only ( if you do this, How do you do the modem do the authentication but let the dd-wrt do the dhcp?)

thanks
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
hrts1 wrote:
Top speed of WRT54GL v1.1 over WiFi (WAP Personal with TKIP), PPOE connection to Internet provider is 2,7 MB/s. Test done by downloading 4,5 GB iso image from my provider FTP site.

see
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31376

for details.

That's the max you're going to get on a 801.11g 54mbps connection.
Jon Pritchard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
So is this thread suggesting that LAN to LAN transfer for this router (WRT54GL) is capped?

Also, is it the suggestion that users who say synchronise with the exchange at high speeds (8Mbit+) will not get the full download or upload speed due to it being bottlenecked as it is passed through to the router?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: