re: insecure ssh login - works with any passwd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
arnie_ahu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:22    Post subject: re: insecure ssh login - works with any passwd Reply with quote
Hi sorry if this is the wrong section, i wasn't sure if this right place to put this in. I just found something which kinda worried me a bit.

I tried logging into my router via ssh, and typed the password wrong, (missed the last digit) I expected an error but was shocked when it let me in.... I tried again thinking it might have been a type by be n i did put it in.. n it worked again.. so i tried another 5 numbers after the password and it still worked :S... Evil or Very Mad ..

so for example.. if my password was:
passwd123

I logged in with "passwd67" twice

and then was able to also log in with passwd6754567

???

I'm sure that shouldn't work should it?? bug?? or am i being a bit umm paranoid lol..anyone else found this??

Regards
Arnie

(could this be because it only recognises the first 8 characters??)
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:42    Post subject: Re: re: insecure ssh login - works with any passwd Reply with quote
arnie_ahu wrote:

(could this be because it only recognises the first 8 characters??)

Yes, see http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl3_crypt.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: