Do Not Send Default Gateway from DHCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dennyfmn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 20:45    Post subject: Do Not Send Default Gateway from DHCP Reply with quote
I am using dd-wrt ver 2.4 on a Linksys wrt54gl ver 1.1 to implement a remote printing solution.

The WAN port of the wrt54gl is disabled and not connected. The dd-drt lan interface is set to 192.168.45.1.

There is a notebook running XP and an Ethernet print server plugged into LAN ports on the wrt54gl. I have assigned the print server a fixed IP address with the dd-wrt dhcp setup. I want the notebook to get an IP address on the LAN network via dhcp so it can see the print server, but I do not want the notebook's ethernet port to get a default gateway from dd-wrt. I could give the notebook a fixed address through the XP TCP/IP properties and leave the Default Gateway setting empty, but I would like to leave it set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" since this notebook is also connected to other networks at times. I would prefer that the user not have to keep changing the IP settings manually.

The notebook also has an Air Card to establish an Internet connection. The Air Card interface provides a default gateway address to the notebook when the Air Card connects to the Internet. Everything is fine until dd-wrt's dhcp gives the notebook's ethernet port an IP address and a default gateway of 192.168.45.1. This causes the notebook to loose Internet connectivity, since 192.168.45.1 can't get to the Internet. I want the notebook to get it's IP address and netmask from dd-wrt, but no default gateway.

I can't just plug in the IP address of the Air Card, to dhcp-options=3,xx,yy,zz,ww since the Air Card gets a different IP address every time it connects to the Internet. The best solution would be to get dd-wrt to not send a default gateway to the client at all.

I have researched the forum, tutorials, man dhcp-options, and the rfc's, but I can't find a way to stop it from sending a default gateway. man dhcp-options on a Linux system shows "option dhcp-parameter-request-list uint16;" which states "... it can also be used to tailor the response of the DHCP server for clients that may need a more limited set of options than those the server would normally return.", but I don't see that option in dd-wrt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you try adding the option "dhcp-option=3" without the ip address, and also try it with an ip of 0.0.0.0 and see what happens. You could also try adding an your internet routers ip if you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: