ASUS WL-330gE Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
yagyu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Groentjuh wrote:
What made it work in the end? And was I right about the WAN ports? Razz

Yes Smile I've disabled port..made a simple configuration :)let the ASUS sleep over night Smile then power on Smile and it works...
I had problem with long WAP2 key..but now, it seems it OK.

Thanks for your help Smile
Sponsor
robbyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 15:11    Post subject: Asus WL-330gE - progress Reply with quote
I've read posts of progress on support of the WL-330gE. I know that the gpio codes for reset/LED were being sought - I also saw reports of problems in AP mode. Does anyone have those fully resolved?

I really like this little router but am getting tired of the usability of its interface.

What's usually required to be done to get a device at this stage onto the supported device list? What can I do to help?

Robbyg
Groentjuh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Re: Asus WL-330gE - progress Reply with quote
gpio codes for reset/LED seems to work now. The only thing you might notice on the outside is that the wireless status led remains on when no clients are connected to it. In the default firmware it'll turn off.

However dd-wrt has some slight issues with the asus WL-330gE's 1 ethernet port. dd-wrt's default settings will cause the wireless interface to be the router's WAN-port. This will cause problems.

As pointed out in one of my previous posts, you'll have to set the Wan port: 'disabled' and then continue to configure your wireless network. As final step you can then set the Wan port on: 'eth0'. Unplug the cable to your pc and plug in the cable you want in the wan port and do any futher configuration using your wireless network.

Let's sum what is needed to get an asus wl-330gE going using dd-wrt.
Flashing a WL330gE using the recovery tool
You can get the utilities here, or you can browse the Asus site to download the latest version. Asus only seem to provide these for Windows.

In case you have multiple network interfaces and are unable to find you router, disable all but the one that is connected to your router.

1. Remove the power connector of the WL330gE.
2. While holding the reset button, plug the power connector back in. (WL330gE - button next to the power connector)
3. When the power LED flashes, release the reset button. The router now is in recovery mode.
4. Wait for your PC to get an IP address (if dhcp is configured)
5. Use the Asus recovery utility to upload the DD-WRT trx file.
6. After the upgrade the router reboots and you should be able to access the web interface

Fixing some broken stuff
Once the WL330gE is running dd-wrt, you might notice that you are unable to find the wireless network 'dd-wrt'. dd-wrt has some slight issues with the asus WL-330gE's 1 ethernet port. dd-wrt's default settings will cause the wireless interface to be the router's WAN-port. This will cause problems.

1. Go to Setup > Networking > Port Setup and set WAN Port Assignment to 'Disabled'. Once these settings are applied you will find the wireless network 'dd-wrt'.
2. Setup your wireless netwerk. Set a ssid, and protect your network.

If you wish to use the ethernet port as a WAN-port:
3. Connect to this wireless netwerk and go to Setup > Networking > Port Setup and set WAN Port Assignment to 'eth0'. Once these settings are applied you may continue to configure your router using the wireless netwerk. The ethernet port was become the router's WAN-port.
pete_c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14    Post subject: Any updates to firmware on the ASUS WL-330gE Reply with quote
Just purchased one of these and wondering if the firmware has been updated?
Groentjuh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stock ASUS firmware is at: V2.0.1.9

My WL330ge does fine with most DD-WRT NEWD mini or std builds.
blast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where do I find the trx file? All I can find is the .bin files. Are they the same thing?

Rather check than brick it. Smile
zer0one
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i have installed this firmware to my wl-330ge and everything works fine. Since i want the port for WAN i have set it to eth0. The only problem is, that when i set PPPoE it does not get IP. for now i have it with auto dhcp.
Could anyone inform me if there is something i can do?
ps. I have done various hard resets ecc.. no solution. For the rest it works fine.
Thank you
zer0one
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
zer0one wrote:
Hi, i have installed this firmware to my wl-330ge and everything works fine. Since i want the port for WAN i have set it to eth0. The only problem is, that when i set PPPoE it does not get IP. for now i have it with auto dhcp.
ps. I have done various hard resets ecc.. no solution. For the rest it works fine.
Thank you

Hi guys, so till now no one could verify if it's able to use the wl-330ge with pppoE as wan option? i have tried many times but nothing.

Thank you for any replies.
maureens
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
zer0one wrote:
zer0one wrote:
Thank you

Hi guys, so till now no one could verify if it's able to use the wl-330ge with pppoE as wan option? i have tried many times but nothing.

Thank you for any replies.

Same issue, please someone help.
ooglek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a note of success -- I followed the Asus TFTP Flash directions, which were very well written and easy to understand, and flashed my WL-330ge just fine, using the VPN_generic firmware v24 preSP2 Beta Build 14896.

Will be playing with it over the next few days. There are lots of docs on how to do a wireless bridge, to use an existing Wifi network as your WAN Gateway, then share that connection via Wifi with the same SSID and WPA PSK. At least I assume one of the modes in the new v24 preSP2 support that!
ooglek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow! Never has setting up a Wireless Bridge been so painfully complicated. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I want to change the functionality of my travel router there are 13 steps to remember, and even then it didn't work?!? Granted, I didn't go through all the troubleshooting suggestions yet like using just Repeater rather than Repeater Bridge, or using WPA2 Personal Mixed.

Using the matching WPA Personal TKIP key I was able to access the DD-WRT install via bridged wifi while connected to the virtual interface OR the primary wifi I wanted to repeat, but according to KisMac no matching SSID on the matching Channel (yes, I set it to 11) with a matching MAC (there was only one router with the SSID I was hoping to see two of) was shared from the device.

I'll beat my head against it some more and look over the suggestions, but HOLY CRAP to make this work seems WAY overly complex -- I'm hoping a GUI tweak is in the works for quick setup of common uses, something where I don't have to 30/30/30 the router to change from AP to Client to Gateway to Repeater.

Also a rewrite/update of all the edits on that page would probably help too. Then again, this seems like a new feature and may just not yet be ready for production.

And this is a travel router where constant reconfiguration will be likely, and most dd-wrt routers are likely static and don't change configurations often. But a more simple solution would be greatly appreciated. It's not that I can't do the 13 steps, it's just that I'm lazy and would like to be able to script it (or have it scripted for me). I wonder if there are plans for a wizard system of sorts, allowing sort of a hand-held multi-step interface to set up the dd-wrt router in common configurations for those of us travel router users who will be constantly rejiggering configs.
Tatt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just purchased this device and is works great except for the fact that the DD-WRT firmware has eth2 set as the default WAN port, and eth0/eth1 as default LAN ports. Is there any way to change this? I've tried shelling into it and setting the proper nvram variables but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tatt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tired a startup script that would correctly assign the WAN port to eth0. I'm close but still having issues. So far I've got:

Code:
brctl delif br0 eth0
nvram set wan_ifname2=eth0
nvram set wan_ifnames=eth0
nvram set wan_ifname=eth0
nvram set wan_iface=eth0

It seems to set most things, but in the end, still doesn't work properly. Any help would be appreciated.
DuaneWayne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 17:53    Post subject: WL-330ge flashing Reply with quote
The flashing information seems a little outdated on the forum. Do I still need to start the upgrade with an older trx, or can I use recovery mode to flash directly to a supported .bin file?

Thanks!

--Duane
shokker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatt wrote:
I tired a startup script that would correctly assign the WAN port to eth0. I'm close but still having issues. So far I've got:

Code:
brctl delif br0 eth0
nvram set wan_ifname2=eth0
nvram set wan_ifnames=eth0
nvram set wan_iface=eth0

It seems to set most things, but in the end, still doesn't work properly. Any help would be appreciated.

I found that if I use the following as my startup script, everything runs fine:
Code:
brctl delif br0 eth0
startservice wan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: