Best router for 50/5 mbit internet

X1pheR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 21:25    Post subject: Best router for 50/5 mbit internet Reply with quote
Within 1 or 2 weeks I'll have 50 Mbit download and 5 Mbit upload. So I'm looking to replace my WRT54Gv2. Does anybody have any idea which is best to get? I can't really find anything useful about routers that support this speed AND be compatible with DD-WRT.

As a sidenote, I would also like to run the mega builds and have wireless n. Need to of course be able to use that 50 Mbit wireless Razz
Sponsor
Dmitry
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Re: Best router for 50/5 mbit internet Reply with quote
synergyx wrote:
Within 1 or 2 weeks I'll have 50 Mbit download and 5 Mbit upload. So I'm looking to replace my WRT54Gv2. Does anybody have any idea which is best to get? I can't really find anything useful about routers that support this speed AND be compatible with DD-WRT.

As a sidenote, I would also like to run the mega builds and have wireless n. Need to of course be able to use that 50 Mbit wireless Razz

Look here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

And you can test WRT54Gv2 by plugging one pc directly to wan port with static ip and dhcp server. Install apache, put some huge file and use some download manager to test the download speed. Just make sure you put file to ramdisk and download it to ramdisk on the client pc. So,harddrive write/read speed is not going to limit the speed of transfer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already checked the supported devices. But some of the more recent routers don't seem to be on there like the latest D-Link N routers which are supported.

I didn't think of testing that. I'll do that. Because I think I'm already suffering since the 20 mbit connection I currently have is instable but not at the provider. I'm also generating heavy P2P traffic which I read the WRT54G just can't handle that well.

At times I'll get 2.3 Mbytes/s which is the max of the 20mbit of course. But now and then it'll drop to 1.1 to 1.5 and even 600 Kbyte/s. There are no caps or problems at the provider.
Dmitry
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
synergyx wrote:
I already checked the supported devices. But some of the more recent routers don't seem to be on there like the latest D-Link N routers which are supported.

You can buy some old pc(pentium 3 or even 4) and us it as router. You'll need 2x lan cards (in case motherboard doesn't have 1 100 mbit lan port) and wifi n card. You will also need a switch to connect all of the pcs on your lan and a copy of professional version of DD-WRT. Free version doesn't have wifi support. If you don't want to pay for DD-WRT then you can use Openwrt or any linux/*nix distro.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you mean DD-WRT can be installed on a normal old pc like the mentioned P3 or P4? Because I don't see anything like that mentioned in the shop.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
avila/cambria/alix will do the job...no consumer router
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 14:43    Post subject: Asus RT-N16 vs Netgear WNDR3700 Reply with quote
Hi, Unfortunately the prices of those routers are far from being in my budget. My wife would kill me if I would buy one of those :)

Since I will do quite a lot of P2P I did some checking on routers with high specs. I came across the Asus RT-N16 and the Netgear WNDR3700 which both yield good results.

With my new internet line, could I go with one of these than to get good results? main difference looks like;
- asus 533 mhz cpu. netgear 680 mhz cpu
- asus 32 mb flash with 128 mb ram. netgear 8 mb flash and 64 mb memory
- asus only 2.4 Ghz and netgear also does (not all to good performance) 5 Ghz.

I don't know if I'll be using the 5 Ghz or not. But what is better for handling heavy P2P traffic? More cpu power or more RAM? As to price there isn't nearly any difference here in the netherlands. both around 100 euros.

Thanks in advance...
chan005
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't speak for 50/5 but I have a 30/10 internet and I have no problem with a Linksys 310N running DD-WRT. I constantly saturate the downlink at full speed doing usenet downloads.

It will run like that for even 20 or 30G size files with only a few glitchs to lower speed for a second or 2. That can be anything in the chain. In fact, I am downloading at 29M now and the processor load is only 22%.

I also have a Zyxel 460N which can support it just fine as well. Too bad, it is not supported by DD-WRT. I am not a heavy BT user but both seem to work well. I had a few hangs on the 310N but none on the 460N. It claims 16,000 session cap for BT.

As a comparison, I had a WRT54 with DD-WRT before and it will run at 30/10 but at 80-90% processor load. The real problem is when you add more traffic to it like a web page browse. Everything slow to a crawl but will eventually come back.

Interesting enough, I also tried an old Netgear router from 10 years ago and it still can run at full speed. Of course, with native software, not DD-WRT.

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: