POLL: Interface changes to support bridging,VAPs,VLANs ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware

Do you support the suggested modifications to the web interface?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

JeremyZJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 0:10    Post subject: POLL: Interface changes to support bridging,VAPs,VLANs ... Reply with quote
The purpose of this poll is to gather support for the suggested web interface changes described in this linked thread, which will:

1) Make it easier to work with bridging with VLANs and VAPs from within the web interface.

2) Eliminate the nas bridge bug.

JeremyZJ wrote:
Some suggestion(s) to the DD-WRT developers regarding this scenario and the related "nas bridge bug":

1) Include the ability to add VAPs to bridges in the main-line firmware.

2) Modify the built-in nas (re-)launcher to pass the -l bridge parameter, where specified in the web interface.

3) Modify the Wireless | Basic Settings page as follows:

a. Remove the Network Configuration: Unbridged / Bridged radio button option from the AP and each VAP.

b. Add an Assigned to Bridge: Dropdown, modeled on the one from Setup | VLANs, to the AP and each VAP. Set the AP default to LAN (br0) and the VAP default to None, and include all the bridges defined in Setup | Networking. These dropdowns should feed the -l bridge option of the AP's or corresponding VAP's nas instance.

4) Modify the Setup | VLANs page as follows:

a. Add all the bridges defined in Setup | Networking to the Assigned to Bridges dropdown, which currently only includes None and LAN.

b. Remove the Wireless: Dropdown, since "3b" (above) obviates it.

These few changes will make it possible to implement a project, such as the scenario of this thread, completely from within the web interface -- and will eliminate the "nas bridge bug".
Sponsor
roadrun777
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I think this would be a great addition!
Mr. Green
msing
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Affirmative. I came across your original thread when searching for a way to add vaps to a bridge. I didn't exactly follow all of your troubleshooting, as my own problem is far less complex, but your suggestions definitely sound needed, and would help not only people in your, shall I say, rather rare situation, but others with more generic configuration quandaries.
JeremyZJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an FYI to all that Eko sent me a PM saying that he would add these suggestions to his list of future work.

Perhaps a moderator could make this poll thread sticky, so that others can be aware of this and share their interest.

Also, please be sure to thank Eko for his consideration of these suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: