D-Link DIR-615

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
rudeguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok I'm stuck

I've been trying to flash on my DIR 615 c1 all night. I even gave up and ran to the store to clear my head. Managed to get a ticket...sigh.....

I've downloaded the edited firmware, did the reset and got into the emergency page with no luck. I changed my default IP and gateway with no luck.

IE and Firerox both time out while uploading the firmware. The odd part is when I tried flashing the stock firmware (just for giggles) that failed too.

So what am I missing?
Sponsor
TobyDanger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just able to successfully flash my dir-615 c1 from the latest d-link firmware to dd-wrt using the following method (as described in the alternate method section here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_C):

From the router database download version
dir-615c1 v24-preSP2 BETA 14896

Download this file:
dir615c1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

Do 30/30/30 reset and upload the firmware bin above.

Had to set a static IP on my laptop at some point, I think it was to get to the dlink firmware update page after the 30/30/30. Don't forget to change it back to DHCP.

Also remember to reset the router one more time after installing dd-wrt. I think the first time, wireless didn't work, until I reset it.
achoi12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 14:23    Post subject: Extremely beginner questions Reply with quote
I am VERY computer-illiterate but want to upgrade my old router with dd-wrt. I have a D-link DIR-615 v. C, and I should have followed the web GUI instructions, but found myself on the forum and tried to follow these instructions below instead. I got to the "emergency page" and uploaded the file dir615c1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin for my particular router (but it wasn't the edited file attached to the forum post, it was the regular file from the main dd-wrt download page). It said 100% but now I'm stuck (and slightly confused) - did I upgrade my router or do I still need to upload the 2nd file? Is that called "flashing my router"?
I cannot log onto the web interface (where I type in the admin/password stuff) - have I bricked my router? I'm not sure what I've done wrong, and would be extremely grateful for any advice! Please help!
Thanks in advance Smile

Detailed instruction for for DIR-615 Rev: C1 v3.11
Following nilbus's post
hookup your PC's ethernet cable to the router port 1-4.
configure your PC's ethernet TCPIP to "use the following ip"
ip address: 192.168.0.2
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1
goto Emergency Mode (while holding reset, unplug and replug power, keep holding reset for roughly 15 seconds)
using firefox (chrome may not work properly)
logon to router with ip 192.168.0.1
takes you to emergency mode page
upload attached file (i already HEX edited according to nilbus's post)
dir615c1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin
(DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std, ver 14311)
wait until router reboots (about 3 mins)
from there you can update to latest version of
dir615c1-firmware.bin
remember to change back your PC's ethernet tcpip settings back to "obtain automatically"
NLitell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone here been able to setup a DIR-615 E3 as a Client Bridge.??

I have another post here asking the same question, as well as a diagram of exactly what I am trying to do...
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
E3 is the same as E4 for bridging. Check my post above couple pages.

NLitell wrote:
Has anyone here been able to setup a DIR-615 E3 as a Client Bridge.??

I have another post here asking the same question, as well as a diagram of exactly what I am trying to do...
NLitell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
In theory the E3 and E4 work the same way and use the same DD-WRT firmware, but I have never gotten it to work in Client Bridge mode. See my other post with the details of what I am trying to do and have tried so far.
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this.
Download 18007 revision. Setup "Basic Setup" as you want and click "save". DO NOT click 'Apply Settings" yet.
1.Set main router to WDS AP in wirelesss tab "basic settings
2.Pick a channel (6 for example). Click "Apply Settings" at the bottom.
3.On bridging router, go to "Setup"-> "Basic setup" tab
4.Change "Connection type" to "Disabled"
5.Change "Local IP" to ip in the same subnet(for example if your main router is 192.168.0.2 then your bridging local IP could be 192.168.0.50). Make sure it's out of range of dhcp range of the main router.
6.Set "Gateway" IP to the "Local IP" of your main router.
7.Under "Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)" change "DHCP server" to disable. Click "Save". DO NOT click 'Apply Settings" yet
8.Go to "Wireless" tab and set "WDS Station" for "Wireless Mode" in "Basic settings".
9.Set "SSID" to your main router
10.Set "Wireless network mode" to "N-only "
11.Make sure that "Channel Width" is the same as you picked in the main router.
12.Click "Apply setting".

Now next steps are optional
disconnect both routers and turn them off.
wait couple minutes.
turn on main router and wait for it to settle(5 minutes)
turn on bridging router and wait for it to settle.
connect to bridging router by cable and see if it will get IP from main router.

Hope this helps.

NLitell wrote:
In theory the E3 and E4 work the same way and use the same DD-WRT firmware, but I have never gotten it to work in Client Bridge mode. See my other post with the details of what I am trying to do and have tried so far.
NLitell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Except that my router does not have a WDS AP mode...
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought you have 2 routers running dd-wrt.
NLitell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Referring to my previous post... see the diagram attached to that post, which explains it all...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=160522&highlight=dir615+client+bridge
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try WDS Station on bridging router with N-only. In wireless security set wpa2 with AES. See if it works.

Just trying to help anyway I can.
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked at you diagram and because I saw 655 as main router so assumed both routers running dd-wrt. Is the 655 has Atheros ship in them? If they are different, you may not be able to bridge them.

My setup is this way. I have 2 615E3 routers and both of them are running dd-wrt revision 18007. I have WHS server connected to my main router upstairs. Downstairs I have HTPC connected to bridge router by wire and I have hopper(dishnetwork) connected to it the same way.
Main router is currently set to AP(switched from WDS AP) on channel 6 with NG mixed, "Turbo 40Mhz" as "Channel width" and security WPA2 AES. I get better throughput with AP vs WDS AP.
The bridge router(let's just call it this way) is set to WDS station in "Wireless Mode" with "n-only 2.4" same "channel width" as main router. In "Wireless Security", pick "WPA2 Personal" and AES as "WPA Algorithms". Enter Shared Key you set up on main router.

This from wiki for WDS. I kind followed it
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS#Atheros

Gotchas:
1.When I tried it first time I purposely avoided wireless security to rule it out.
2.dd-wrt works best with WPA2 AES. This is what I have learned.
3.There is no Wifi on bridge router.
4.local IP has to be outside of dhcp range of the main router, but on the same subnet.
5. dhcp on bridge router has to be disabled as well as "Connection Type"

you also might have to add the following in the "Administration" tab under "Commands" for firewall:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE
LAN=`nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask`
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -s $LAN -d $LAN -j MASQUERADE

Hope this helps.

NLitell wrote:
Referring to my previous post... see the diagram attached to that post, which explains it all...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=160522&highlight=dir615+client+bridge
NLitell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
IF you look in the DD-WRT list of supported boxes, you will see that the DIR-655 is not supported by DD-WRT due to some inherent hardware issues.
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. Well. You can still try WDS station on bridge router.

You can also try gargoyle on 615. It does have repeater bridge. It's not as informative as dd-wrt, but it could do the trick.
Or you could go and buy another router that does repeating.

I'm done.
NLitell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
From everything I have read, there is NO REASON to get involved with WDS to support what I want to do.

From the DW-WRT documentation, I have followed this path:

1. Description of WDS Linked Router Network
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS#Atheros

In that document, Section 1.1 talks about problems of incompatibility between various vendors' implementation of WDS. Then, Section 1.2 talks about alternatives: Cleint Mode and Client Bridge.

2. Description of Client Mode
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

In this description, it talks about the fact that the two boxes -- main router and bridge -- have to be on separate subnets and the bridge hands out IP addresses through its own active DHCP to the boxes linked via Ethernet connection on the LAN ports.

But if you look again at my diagram and previous notes, this is not what I want. In my current configuration with the D-Link Wireless Adapter(810+), everything is on the same subnet and any time I want to connect another computer to the printer, I already know the IP address of the printer and Windows Printer Setup can easily find the printer through its IP address since everything is on the same subnet.

So...., this brings me to the second alternative...

3. Description of Client Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridge

Here everything is on the same subnet and I can assign IP addresses as I choose... exactly the same configuration that I now have. I assign the IP address of the printer, and it is transparently passed through the Wireless Adapter (or Client Bridge) for the various computers on the network to access. The setup description here is what I have been using for my Client Bridged DIR-615 E3.

Because I am still operating a mixed b/g network, I use WEP. And this is how I have been setting up and testing the Client Bridge. Point 7 in the setup description of Client Bridge says that WEP works reliably for the encryption -- as well as WPA2-AES. My thought was that I would first setup and operate the Bridge using my current WEP setup, and be able to do a straight plugin replacement of my current D-Link Wireless Adapter with the new Client Bridge. There is no logical reason I can see why this should not work. THEN... if it all worked, I could simply change my router and Client Bridge to N-only, setup the new WPA2 encryption on the two boxes and the laptops, and achieve my basic result.

So.... in infinite detail...that is where I am coming from. And the problem / symptom I see is that the Bridge does indeed connect to the network... I can see that by looking at the router as I turn on the power to the bridge and follow the router's logs and status pages, but I get no response when I try to ping the bridge and I cannot open the bridge over the wireless network (i.e., connect to its assingned IP address), whereas I can always do that with the D-Link Wireless Adapter I am trying to replace.

There seems to be no problem with the setup process when I use the 17201 build, which some people have said is the last stable build for the 615E3. And at least the basic handshakes -- IP address assignemt, recognition of bridge MAC ID, encryption -- between the router and the bridge work, otherwise the router would not recognize the bridge.

So that is where I am stuck.... it all looks fine, but just doesn't seem to want to talk to me...

Last edited by NLitell on Thu Aug 23, 2012 18:40; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 24 of 31
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: