VPN/Remote Web Access Lockup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 19:27    Post subject: VPN/Remote Web Access Lockup Reply with quote
To start, I have two Linksys routers, one WRT54GS 1.0 in NY and another WRT54GS 2.1 in NJ. Both are running dd-wrt v24 mega. Both are connected to the internet via broadband. Using VPN with DynDNS, I connect from the 2.1 in NJ to the 1.0 in NY. I also log into the router using remote web access with DynDNS (without VPN obviously). These connections work fine (sometimes, read on).

About every 24 hours, the 1.0 router locks up to all VPN and remote web access. The local user at the 1.0 can still access the interface of the router just fine. The wireless and internet also work fine for the user. Having the user perform a soft reboot does not help, nor setting up watchdog for an auto reboot of every 24 hours at 0001 local time. The only way to get the 1.0 reachable again is to have a user on the 1.0 side pull the power and plug back it in, then all is reachable just fine, for about another day.

I don't keep my VPN connected 24/7, just when I need it. Obviously, contacting the user this often to unplug the router's power is not convenient.

I use DynDNS for both the VPN and remote web access. I am almost positive that this is not a DynDNS issue, the IP always reports current to DynDNS and all my other DynDNS addresses work just fine. Just to make sure, I have tried just using the IP address to connect, same results.

The ram usage on the 1.0 is 50% max and the CPU usage is always low.

Also, I have disconnected from the VPN and reconnected a few hours later without having to do a hard reset, so I know that the connection is releasing when I disconnect.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
No ideas?
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
No ideas?

I have an update to the situation, as I have stated before, I access another router using either VPN using DynDNS or direct remote access with IE using DynDNS. For the past couple of days, I have been able to get to the VPN using DynDNS and then from there I can access the GUI using a local IP. I still CAN NOT get to the GUI remotely using the public IP address or DynDNS without the VPN.

Whats going on? Let me know if you need more details.
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing?
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still having the issue.
StevenJJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just set up a client in NJ who uses Verizon FIOS. Each day since Monday the WRT54GL with V24 needs to be power cycled to maintain DHCP with Fios box and Internet access. The PPTP tunnel 'shuts down' about 10 minutes into a session.

I've heard that some ISPs are doing man-in-the-middle attacks to drop VPN connections for some reason.

I don't know if Verizon is doing something to the router or VPN, but I've put dozens of these routers at client locations on DSL or Cable without this problem. This is my first and only FiOS system, and while the speed is great, the service and service department really blows.

Just commiserating and asking if you are using Verizon.

Steve
MacGyver0013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting.

Actually, when I wrote this post, I was on Verizon DSL 3Mbit package. The original problem I posted about I believe that the router in NY is the issue, something with the OS itself. However, SP1 is out so I will try loading it and see if the problem remains.

As far as FiOS, I have recently got it installed (the 20/20 package) and have been able to connect to the VPN in NY for at least 2 days straight now. I have had no DHCP issues and have always gotten an IP address within 10-15 seconds form the ONT box (or from Verizon actually). The VPN problem you are mentioning seems to be after the VPN is established, my issue is getting to the device from the start.

I will have SP1 installed on the router in NY soon and will report back with my results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: