Add Device Support: WHR-G300N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Cyfun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far it's been working great. I run it as a startup script, and set an auto-reboot to once a week. Be careful, though, cause if your ISP doesn't allow you to have very many IPs leased at the same time, and you reboot your router too much within the lease period, you could get yourself stuck. Luckily, mine allows 11 IPs at once, but I still hit the limit sometimes if I'm in dicking around with settings too much.

Quote:
#!/bin/ash
MAC=`(date; cat /proc/interrupts) | md5sum | sed -r 's/^(.{10}).*$/\1/; s/([0-9a-f]{2})/\1:/g; s/:$//;'`
echo "00:${MAC}"
ifconfig eth1 hw ether 00:${MAC}
nvram set def_hwaddr="00:${MAC}"
nvram set wan_hwaddr="00:${MAC}"
stopservice wan
startservice wan
Sponsor
scarpeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot, Cyfun Very Happy
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone mentioned that these are on sale for $36.99 each at NewEgg.Com with free shipping!

I just bought 2 more for spares - cheap price and they're working great for me.

Now I have some backups and can drive the 2 modded ones hard!

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Cyfun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter wrote:
Someone mentioned that these are on sale for $36.99 each at NewEgg.Com with free shipping!

Yep! That's where I scored mine last week, as my old WRT54G v2 was on its last legs. I'm very happy with my new G300N. I don't know why, but there's a huge difference in speed, both in its web interface and when I'm just surfing the web. I suspect my old one had some problem with the internal DNS server.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the RaLink chipset is more snappier

Plus remember, you got 32MB of ram instead of 16MB like most routers

And most importantly, you have a 384 mhz processor!

Very important for a lot of connections and if you have the router doing extra stuff.

Torrents and their inbound/outbound connections can cause a lot of drag on the router.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter wrote:
I think the RaLink chipset is more snappier

Plus remember, you got 32MB of ram instead of 16MB like most routers

And most importantly, you have a 384 mhz processor!

Very important for a lot of connections and if you have the router doing extra stuff.

Torrents and their inbound/outbound connections can cause a lot of drag on the router.

Also to help, if you use torrents, set your TCP timeouts to just a few mins. Then the connections wont hang around if they are inactive.
chewy2314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter wrote:

I mentioned it in the thread about best router for dd-wrt in the broadcom forum. I sold it to my coworker since CB is not available yet. RB works, but I didn't need my signal to go further than it already does.
typoknig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I am having some issues with my WHR-G300N. I just purchased this router to replace a WRT54G I had, and I was thinking of converting all of my WRT54G's into WHR-G300N's. My setup was working fine with the WRT54G and the in the WHR-G300N are identical. This router is plugged into another router so I am not using the WLAN port. What is happening is that the WHR-G300N looses its connection with the WRT54G router it is hardwired to about once a day. I can still access the WebGUI of the WHR-G300N, but nothing else. Only unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed the problem. I am using build 12874 right now. I am not sure what the purpose of the switch on the back of the router is for, but I have tried it in every position. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks in advance!
typoknig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I found the answer myself, and it is very interesting. I am only using 10/100 LAN for the majority of my network, including the ethernet line from the client router of my client bridge to my wireless router inside. Because 10/100 only uses 4 of the 8 wires in an ethernet cable, to save money when I set it all up, I used 4 wire telephone cord I had laying around instead of purchasing new 8 wire ethernet cable. When I was using all WRT54G's I had no problem using 4 wire ethernet cables, but I guess the current versions of DD-WRT are either not as forgiving, or else the WHR-G300N's is not as smart as the WRT54G's When I put a Linksys switch in between my client bridge client router (WRT54G) and my new WHR-G300N and connected the switch and the WHR-G300N with a regular 8 wire ethernet cable everything works fine. Hopefully this will get fixed in the future though, I don't want to have to run an extra switch just because of this :)

What do you guys think, is this a problem with DD-WRT or the WHR-G300N?
4512jth
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
So does anyone know if this unit supports Client Bridge mode? Would like to use this in a setup of DD-WRT routers.
typoknig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the WHR-G300H will work as a client bridge.
Mekanik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad he asked. I was wondering the same thing today. Client Bridge mode isn't there in the 12966 firmware.
typoknig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can create a client bridge by selecting:

WIRELESS > BASIC SETTINGS > WIRELESS MODE > CLIENT

Then simply go to:

STATUS > WIRELESS > SITE SURVEY

... and join the host network. I have only used DD-WRT version 23 sp2 and 24 sp2 with WRT54G's and WHR-G300N's and this is the only type of "client bridge" connection I have ever seen. There are other ways to connect two routers wirelessly (like WDS) but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

Is there some other type of client bridge that I am unaware of?
Mekanik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The link below is what I was referring to. Versions of DD-WRT for the WRT54G/GS/GL actually have a Client Bridge mode. This is the first non-WRT54G router I've played with. I'm assuming that you have your AP and CB on the same channel with the same SSID and the same security settings and key?

There is lots of bridge info in the wiki...the ones I've done require the same security setting and encryption key for both the bridge itself and for clients accessing the remote router....or none at all.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

You may also be interested in these:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bridging

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv4
WRT54G2v1
WHR-G300N
DIR-615 E3
WNDR3800
WRT300N
WRT54G-TM
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
typoknig wrote:
You can create a client bridge by selecting:

WIRELESS > BASIC SETTINGS > WIRELESS MODE > CLIENT

Then simply go to:

STATUS > WIRELESS > SITE SURVEY

... and join the host network. I have only used DD-WRT version 23 sp2 and 24 sp2 with WRT54G's and WHR-G300N's and this is the only type of "client bridge" connection I have ever seen. There are other ways to connect two routers wirelessly (like WDS) but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

Is there some other type of client bridge that I am unaware of?

This is great but getting site survey to actually work is another story.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 18
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: