Add Device Support: WHR-G300N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
homtherobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm having a hell of a time getting it set up as a client bridge too. i had a netgear before that (for some reason or another) totally bit the dust a week ago, so i just bought this unit as a replacement.

the flash went fine, but no combinations of settings i'm choosing will work. i tried pretty much everything on http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge .

i had a lot of problems last time with the netgear as well, then i realized you can't have apostrophes in the SSID and it worked right away... wish it was that simple again this time.

i suppose i do have a question if anyone can help me out. how important are the DHCP settings for client bridge? i thought i saw someone here say it shouldn't matter for a bridge, but i can't find it again. i guess i'm just trying to narrow down the number of options to fiddle with.
Sponsor
homtherobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
gave up on client bridge after reading this thread, got repeater bridge to work fairly easily with the latest build.

signal strength isn't great since the second router is on the top floor and the source is in the basement, would i see significant boosts with external antennas? i'd definitely like them if i can find them.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=359977#359977

Antenna Mods for the WHR-G300N

And YES, they do help a LOT

Look at bottom of thread, last post, I have a link in there
that shows the pics inside of the original internal antennas.

You do need to be logged in to see some of the pics.

Repeater Bridge has been working fine for me for a while now.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
homtherobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
excellent, those are some beefy antennas. looking forward to dressing mine up with two new radio towers of its own.

thanks for the info and for being so helpful in this thread in general. your posts were the one thing giving me hope when none of my setups seemed to be working for this unit :D

i'm glad i kept at it, because although the internal antenna is nothing too impressive i really like the unit for some reason.
homtherobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
it just hit me that i have some busted routers laying around (always ask people throwing away their old ones to give them to me).

i wonder if i could salvage the antennas and save some cash. would there be any negative implications to using mismatched antennas (other than maybe bottlenecking the signal on one)?
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It really shouldn't matter about mis-matched antennas.
I mean, compared to the internal ones, any external would be better.

If you can, try and at least get the pigtails from online/e-bay

If only to save a bunch of soldering.

TheBo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
okai this is nice...
I'm sitting on te sofa in my dining room. Having my laptop on my legs and the Zune near to it.

Look at the picture ...look at the Zune's SNR.. the highest one... Shocked the other one is my laptop's BCM 4306

homtherobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ordered the pigtails from ebay and grabbed the antennas from the linksys before chucking it... i'll update with any findings.

right now the signal varies wildly depending on even slight movement of the router, so i still don't know exactly where i'd like to put the unit itself. if nothing else, i'm hoping external antennas will stabilize the signal a bit.
homtherobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
interestingly, my maximum speeds have improved significantly with the new antennas, but the signal is still extremely inconsistent.

speed tests on my desktop will sometimes show close to 10,000kbps with the second router (repeater bridge), and without moving the router, i will later get ~50kbps. moving the router around the room will sometimes fix the problem temporarily, but every time i get my hopes up later tests will show the signal has turned to crap again.

i have always been able to get an extremely consistent connection with decent speeds (~8mbps) using my laptop's wireless in this room. any devices connected to the whr-g300n are not having the same luck, though the brief moments of a solid connection do achieve better speeds. i should note that there are no wireless devices connected to the repeater bridge. as of now, i am only using a wired connection with my desktop.

i'm running out of ideas now that i have the antennas in place. have any of you run into this problem with this unit? while i never had great speeds with my previous netgear bridge, it never had this consistency issue.

edit: would there be a more appropriate forum/thread to request help with this?
Makaveli6103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
So does anyone know when Client Bridge mdoe will be updated? Until them I am trying to set up Repeater Bridge. Currently I have a D-Link DIR-655 as AP with stock firmware with N Mode Only and WPA/WPA2 AES security. Is this compatible?
Makaveli6103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Makaveli6103 wrote:
So does anyone know when Client Bridge mdoe will be updated? Until them I am trying to set up Repeater Bridge. Currently I have a D-Link DIR-655 as AP with stock firmware with N Mode Only and WPA/WPA2 AES security. Is this compatible?

So I got G-mode working on dd wrt but cannot get N-Mode working in repeater bridge? Has anyone got N-mode to work yet?
ampedandwired
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone can help me with a connectivity problem, or at least give some hints on how I can debug it.

I have a Zyxel p600 DSL modem/router and a Buffalo WHR-G300N. I want to use my Zyxel as a transparent bridge connected to the Buffalo which would provide wireless, routing, DNS, DHCP etc using dd-wrt.

I've put the Zyxel into bridge mode no problem, and when I connect my computer to it directly connectivity is very reliable.

I've installed dd-wrt 13064 on my WHR-G300N and I'm connected to it via a wired connection. When I connect it up to the Zyxel everything works fine for about an hour, after which I lose all WAN connectivity. Problem is resolved by rebooting the Buffalo router.

After things crap out, everything *looks* OK. There are no obvious problems in the dd-wrt status pages, the router still has an ISP assigned IP and correct DNS servers, I can connect a client and get a DHCP IP address etc. There is nothing in the syslog to indicate a problem.

Anybody have any ideas?
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never used DSL, so can't confirm this, but I belive you're
supposed to have the Buffalo as Bridged, and leave your DSL modem as default.

Are you running anything special that you need certain ports?

Reason I ask is, I do a lot of testing on routers.

I have the following config:

Cable Modem -> Buffalo WHR-G300N -> Buffalo WHR-G125

I have wireless N connected to the WHR-G300N

I have wireless G connected to the WHR-G125

I have wired connected to both the WHR-G300N and WHR-G125

I have no internet connectivity issues with any clients.

petercook
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cant seem to find a thread for recomended settings for this router. Can anyone recomend some settings to get the best range/speed out of this router most my settings are auto with the wireless itself set to mixed with a 20 Mhz width
junpit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 13:04    Post subject: Cannot access router web page Reply with quote
Hi

I have 2 WHR-G300N's connected together. The AP is downstairs and I have a repeater bridge upstairs. Its good. I get approx 10mb/s on a file transfer. These are n-only using 40mz. The performance is amazing!

My AP has address 10.20.72.2 and my repeater bridge has 10.20.72.5. For some reason I can't do a http://10.20.72.2 from behind 10.20.72.5. I can access the web site for 10.20.72.2 from the any wired or wireless clients that connect directly to it.

Any ideas? I have 2 more of these coming soon as I am replacing my g client bridge dd-wrt devices, which currently directly connect to a non dd-wrt ap.

Once I get these I probably won't have a way of configuring 10.20.72.2, other than over the internet from elsewhere

Thanks in Advance

-Junpit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 18
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: