Add Device Support: WHR-G300N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
xDexter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
12427 works flawlessly, running it right now
Sponsor
Rudi1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Version 12427 works fine for me too Laughing
pimpoman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I just got a G300N after i found it to be one of the cheapest ones with draft-N to be supported by dd-wrt. However after trying to flash it for some hours, I finally give up and ask what I'm doing wrong... I managed to flash it via tftp and even got it to sent

Quote:
tftp> put firmware.tftp
Sent 3704948 bytes in 7.3 seconds

But afterwards I still get to the webinterface of the original firmware. I don't really get what's meant by "1st three seconds of booting when the router is in recovery mode.". What do you mean by recovery mode? the 30/30/30 reset? If so, I also tried that, successfully tftp'd the firmware but still get back to the buffalo webif... any hints?
jubei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,
I'm running build 12427 and I still cannot forward ports. I am able to forward them just fine on my WHR-G54 running Tomato 1.25 so I know it's def something with this. Can *anyone* forward ports? This is really the only thing keeping me from using this router full time since everything else seems to be fixed. Thanks!
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
pimpoman wrote:
Hey guys,

I just got a G300N after i found it to be one of the cheapest ones with draft-N to be supported by dd-wrt. However after trying to flash it for some hours, I finally give up and ask what I'm doing wrong... I managed to flash it via tftp and even got it to sent

Quote:
tftp> put firmware.tftp
Sent 3704948 bytes in 7.3 seconds

But afterwards I still get to the webinterface of the original firmware. I don't really get what's meant by "1st three seconds of booting when the router is in recovery mode.". What do you mean by recovery mode? the 30/30/30 reset? If so, I also tried that, successfully tftp'd the firmware but still get back to the buffalo webif... any hints?

search for tftpw.exe - use google

Manually set your IP of your NIC to 192.168.1.250

Hookup the NIC directly to one of the LAN ports on the router.

Unplug the power from the router.

Next you start tftpw.exe in windows (assuming you're using windows) and choose the tftp firmware to flash. Then start the transfer.

Plug in the power to the router.

the TFTPW.EXE should show 'Success' and then you leave the WHR-G300N sitting for about 5-10 minutes.

IF this works successfully, you're left with 2 LED's that are green colored, no RED diagnostic light lit.

Goto 192.168.1.1 via internet browser, and you should see the GUI asking to set a password.

IF this is NOT working, your router may be damaged.
I've not seen this fail, this almost always works.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
iVitor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
jubei wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm running build 12427 and I still cannot forward ports. I am able to forward them just fine on my WHR-G54 running Tomato 1.25 so I know it's def something with this. Can *anyone* forward ports? This is really the only thing keeping me from using this router full time since everything else seems to be fixed. Thanks!
I have "Port Forwarding" working just fine, with one manually configured UDP port.
iVitor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just recently acquired this inexpensive wireless router. Flashing it to the latest build (12427) was a painless procedure, the unit seams to be stable and working just fine (despite the support for the Ralink SoC being new and experimental).

So far the only glitch which I am currently "googling" is to why when using channel bonding, having configured the wide-channel on the lower frequencies and a base channel above 11, the adapter reverts to channel 1 (or at least reports as such).
jubei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
iVitor wrote:
jubei wrote:
Hi guys,
I have "Port Forwarding" working just fine, with one manually configured UDP port.

I'm trying to forward a port to a pc inside my network. I have a WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato v1.25. Port forwarding works flawlessly on that. I'm stumped. I'm doing to exact same port, exact same protocol, etc...
iVitor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
jubei wrote:
I'm trying to forward a port to a pc inside my network. I have a WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato v1.25. Port forwarding works flawlessly on that. I'm stumped. I'm doing to exact same port, exact same protocol, etc...
Oh, because I haven't tested any other way, it may be worth mentioning that I have disabled the router firewall.
(My ADSL Modem has a competent firewall that can handle all the outside threats that DD-WRT would and, since this router only operates a "private" home network, just the NAT by itself provides all the security I require)

I remember there was also a slight interface "nag" that required you to enter the forwarding rule, select the enable an then hit the "Apply Settings" before trying to add another rule. But, if I recall this correctly, in this case the whole rule should get every field "blank" when clicking the "Add" button. -- It should be something easy to spot on the moment if it was the case.
jubei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I've chalked it off to being double nat'd. I have the router behind a FiOS router and have unsuccessfully tried switching the FiOS router into Bridge Mode. I've gone back to my WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato for now. I was getting some terrible throughput over wireless G on my WHR-HP-G54 but I enabled the Afterburner and Frame Burst and things seem like they're running at the full speed the WHR-300GN was running at (speedtest.net).

There's a new Asus router coming out, think that would run tomato or just DD-WRT?

As a side note, in all of my resets and configs, I seem to have bricked my WHR300GN. If I plug it in now, I only get a diag light staying on. Anyone know if I can unbrick and how? Thank you.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to TFTP the WHR-G300N firmware during the first 3 seconds of power on.

Buffalo routers have a recovery mode built in.

You set your NIC to ip 192.168.1.250

startup tftpw.exe

grab one of the firmware.tftpw versions for the WHR-G300N

Choose the firmware.tftp file from the tftpw.exe prompt and hit start

power on the whr-g300n and it should load it and say success

then leave the whr-g300n for about 5-10 minutes

It should load DD-WRT back to all default settings

iVitor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
jubei wrote:
As a side note, in all of my resets and configs, I seem to have bricked my WHR300GN. If I plug it in now, I only get a diag light staying on. Anyone know if I can unbrick and how?
In what comes to recovering your WHR-G300N DoesItMatter really put nicely the best recovery mode if your router isn't a full brick (which shouldn't be, since the Diag light does stay up). Sometimes you can have success by just insisting on the "Reset" button until it eventually does clear up the corrupt data and loads the defaults, but tftp'ing back the firmware should be faster and has better guarantees of actually working.

jubei wrote:
There's a new Asus router coming out, think that would run tomato or just DD-WRT?
Without "threadjacking" this fine Buffalo WHR-G300N thread, I suppose you are talking about RT-N16, which does indeed look pretty good specs wise (and has a Broadcom SoC). I would risk saying DD-WRT should support it in a fairly soon time frame, but I am not so sure about Tomato.
Don't want to make false statements, so if I am wrong don't hesitate in correcting me, but I believe Tomato is just for routers based (or with compatible design) to the Broadcom platform that featured in the Linksys WRT54G.

jubei wrote:
I was getting some terrible throughput over wireless G on my WHR-HP-G54 but I enabled the Afterburner and Frame Burst and things seem like they're running at the full speed the WHR-300GN was running at (speedtest.net).
This isn't actually a reply to the fact you got better performance with those settings, but I would like to take the chance and report that in my case (with this WHR-G300N and a Ralink RT61 based PCMCIA card I use for testing) "Frame Burst" did actually decrease my 11g throughput by about 5Mbits/s. (From 27.xMbps to 22.xMbps)

I am still tweaking the wireless in this router (will start testing 11n), but given that this router doesn't have more than 2 wireless clients at any time, I found the "Frame Burst" results for 11g somewhat surprising. Definitely something to watch in each wireless environment.
jubei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help DoesItMatter & iVitor! I was about to follow your advice of the TFTP (which I thought might work anyway) and I guess leaving the device unplugged the past couple nights must have cleared the nvram bc I turned it on and it's working.

I've been playing around with my FiOS router -> the Buffalo WHR-G300N and I can forward SSH again to it. Still can't forward port 2020 to it which is what I run a small web server on. Does DD-WRT handle double nat'ing different than Tomato?
michaelso
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:10    Post subject: L2TP VPN with shared key support for WHR G300N Reply with quote
i would like to ask is it possible to have shared key(or called shared secret) support in the L2TP VPN dial up?
I know there is L2TP support, but i dont know where to set the shared key...
i only allow me to key in the user name and pwd...
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have just laoded up build 12505 from Brainslayer.

Build works great so far, looks like no issues as far as my testing has been.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 18
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: