Asus RT-N15 support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
jmandawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46    Post subject: N not running at full speed Reply with quote
So i flashed back to the stock Asus firmware (had to use Asus Firmware restore utility), and i can connect MIMO (2 channels) at 270-300Mbps.

But when i use DD-WRT it only connects through 1 channel at around ~144Mbps.

Everything else is working great.
Sponsor
jmandawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
There also seems to be a problem with WEP on a virtual interface. i get the "Mismatch key" error.

I'm suprised there aren't more replies in this thread, this is probably the cheapest Gigabit N router available (~$35-40) with DD-WRT support.
cln
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
i uploaded the custom firmware by accessing the router through firefox, it uploaded fine but then i couldnt pick it up. Is there a specific way to upgrade it? had to go back to the asus firmware. couldnt access the router after uploading the firmware
logan_fre
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
cln wrote:
i uploaded the custom firmware by accessing the router through firefox, it uploaded fine but then i couldnt pick it up. Is there a specific way to upgrade it? had to go back to the asus firmware. couldnt access the router after uploading the firmware

Was your router set to a different address than stock(192.168.1.1)? Did you try resetting the router after you flashed it? You can also try clearing your firefox cookies. I had a problem at first where two routers on my network were trying to use the same address. I had to unplug one until I setup the other.
cln
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ill try that tonight thanks, how do you reset the n15 manually? there doesnt seem to be a reset button
logan_fre
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reset button is labeled "Restore". I just tested it out and it cleared all my settings. I also verified that the Backup and Restore functions work in DD-WRT.
romandesign
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I've reset my modem to login and RT-N15 now works in DHCP mode. Thanks for the advice. What is the optimal setting for antenna power? I have many networks on all channels around my house and boosting power is a big issue. Did somebody do any tinkering/testing with power settings in this router? What other settings can help with stable wi-fi connection (I have up to three devices connected, G and N).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be honest, all these questions (except the reset button) are general DD-WRT questions and not specific to this router. If you use google and search "DD-WRT transmit power" you can sift through some semi-useful information.

The problem is that your situation is not going to be the same as anybody elses. Do some experiments with the transmit power and see what happens. I know have found that N clients will connect faster when it is set to N-only, but that has nothing to do with stability. In theory you should be able to have multiple routers transmitting on the same channel and everything work fine.

I personally have about a dozen APs in my area, but most are on the same channel. I use a different channel, but since there are more than 6 APs on channel 6 (which is the default for most routers) they must all be coexisting.
zuber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems like RT-N15 is added to the supported devices list:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus

Thanks for the great work BrainSlayer!

It would be nice to also add a hardware specific installation or wiki page. I have this router at hand currently and would like to help with that if I can...
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
zuber wrote:
It seems like RT-N15 is added to the supported devices list:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus

Thanks for the great work BrainSlayer!

It would be nice to also add a hardware specific installation or wiki page. I have this router at hand currently and would like to help with that if I can...

Well, then do it! Very Happy
Everyone can create or edit the wiki pages, someone has to do it..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone else here connect to the router at > 150Mbps over N?
Or run WEP on a virtual interface?

I'm wondering if i have something configured wrong.
logan_fre
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmandawg wrote:
Can anyone else here connect to the router at > 150Mbps over N?

I'm wondering if i have something configured wrong.

I tried all the combinations of settings I could under Basic and Advanced wireless and windows always reports the connections speed at 144.5 mbps. Under the DD-WRT Gui it reports the transmit speed at 270 mbps, and the receive speed varies as you watch but stays below 100.

I used a USB adapter that is rated as 2T2R and supposedly will do 300 mbps upload and download. I honestly don't use the wireless to much so I am not sure if it connected at full speed with stock or not.
logan_fre
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmandawg wrote:

802.11n doesn't support WEP or WPA-AES or WPA-TPIK only WPA2-AES. I don't know why the settings in DD-WRT don't point this out to you when you try to set it up, but I believe the driver won't let you break standards. This may also be the issue with the speed.

Based on the wikipedia article on 802.11n it would seem that 2.4GHz with a 20MHz wide channel is limited to 144.4 mbps. So it would seem that 2 channels are being used, but only at 20MHz not 40MHz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009
jmandawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Logan_fre. I'm NOT running in exclusive N mode so i think WEP should work on the virtual interface. Also it works fine on the physical interface.

These are probably just small bugs considering this is the first release. Hopefully they will be fixed.
aen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
successfully flashed it...isnt there an option static ip for l2tp connection type? its kinda hard to type from htc... someone please advice me how to deal with my little issue...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: