CFE compressors available for some neutered Linksys units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
@redhawk0

We are talking about a CFE_Updater for a Gv8 ?, and using it on a GSv7.2 correct... the Gv8 CFE_Updater does NOT have sdram set to 16mb in the CFE, the updater copies the original sdram setting from the unit it is running on, and incerts that value into the new cfe its writing to the board, just like it does for th IP address, so thats why its working.

We are not talking about a CFE128 that you jtag to the router, and what unit are you talking about ?

Understood....however, it is my understanding that we do NOT do this same routine for the Gv5 compressor...so it won't work on a GSv5/6 unit....is this correct?

I'd hate to see someone "pioneer" on the GSv5/6 model and expect the same results.

redhawk

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Tornado wrote:
@redhawk0

We are talking about a CFE_Updater for a Gv8 ?, and using it on a GSv7.2 correct... the Gv8 CFE_Updater does NOT have sdram set to 16mb in the CFE, the updater copies the original sdram setting from the unit it is running on, and incerts that value into the new cfe its writing to the board, just like it does for th IP address, so thats why its working.

We are not talking about a CFE128 that you jtag to the router, and what unit are you talking about ?

Understood....however, it is my understanding that we do NOT do this same routine for the Gv5 compressor...so it won't work on a GSv5/6 unit....is this correct?

I'd hate to see someone "pioneer" on the GSv5/6 model and expect the same results.

redhawk

I am not sure myself as I do not have the GSv5/6 to test. Anybody can be a pioneer, just make sure you have a working JTAG setup, and Know how to use it.
If I am able to get the said hardware, before anyone reports back i will research the possibilities.

DS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
I am not sure myself as I do not have the GSv5/6 to test. Anybody can be a pioneer, just make sure you have a working JTAG setup, and Know how to use it.
If I am able to get the said hardware, before anyone reports back i will research the possibilities.

DS

Yeah...me either...of all the bazillions of donated units that I have...not one is a GSv5 or GSV6.

unlike the GSv7.2 working from the Gv8 compressor.....I highly doubt that the GSv5/6 would be successful. It doesn't have the same conversion routines for the new compressed CFE generator. I suspected the GSv7.2 would work even before you tried it....but that is the only one I had a good feeling about....of course up to that point, I couldn't officially recommend that anyone try it.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Yeah...me either...of all the bazillions of donated units that I have...not one is a GSv5 or GSV6.

unlike the GSv7.2 working from the Gv8 compressor.....I highly doubt that the GSv5/6 would be successful. It doesn't have the same conversion routines for the new compressed CFE generator. I suspected the GSv7.2 would work even before you tried it....but that is the only one I had a good feeling about....of course up to that point, I couldn't officially recommend that anyone try it.

redhawk

I haven't looked as I am at work, how similar is the Gv5/6 to the GSv5/6?

EDIT: Looking at the stats they have similar stats. I have a Gv5, but until I can get my hands on a GSv5 to compare, it's up in the air.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
I haven't looked as I am at work, how similar is the Gv5/6 to the GSv5/6?

EDIT: Looking at the stats they have similar stats. I have a Gv5, but until I can get my hands on a GSv5 to compare, it's up in the air.

They are very similar...RAM size (and maybe board flags) are about the only difference....but...the compressor "creates" a whole new CFE...however it only pulls in some parameters from the working unit...in the case of the Gv5/6 units, I believe the only thing it pulls in is the MAC addresses...and NOT memory size or other variables.

That is why I don't have a good feeling about converting a GSv5/6 from the Gv5/6 compressor.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

They are very similar...RAM size (and maybe board flags) are about the only difference....but...the compressor "creates" a whole new CFE...however it only pulls in some parameters from the working unit...in the case of the Gv5/6 units, I believe the only thing it pulls in is the MAC addresses...and NOT memory size or other variables.

That is why I don't have a good feeling about converting a GSv5/6 from the Gv5/6 compressor.

redhawk

So, we won't see the compressor for GSv5/6 in the near future?
I have a Linksys GSv5 router. What can I help here? Dump some files from the router?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
The V5, V5.1, V6 compressor is confirmed working on a GS V5 butt...

It comes up with 8mb ram. You have to unlock the other 8 for a total of 16mb by issuing the nvram set init_sdram commands just like Redhawk suspected.

If you unlock the other 8mb, all 16 are there. However if you do a hard reset, then you have it unlock the other 8mb again.

So.. I tested but I do not recommend using the compressor on a GSV5 if you are the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

It comes up with 8mb ram. You have to unlock the other 8 for a total of 16mb by issuing the nvram set init_sdram commands just like Redhawk suspected.

If you unlock the other 8mb, all 16 are there. However if you do a hard reset, then you have it unlock the other 8mb again.

So.. I tested but I do not recommend using the compressor on a GSV5 if you are the faint of heart.

Had already tested and Red and T~ had the results, which are the same BTW Very Happy Nether one has replied to the PM's

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
barryware wrote:

Had already tested and Red and T~ had the results, which are the same BTW Very Happy Nether one has replied to the PM's

I backed up the compressed cfe via http. The edited the sdram init, then plowed the compressed cfe back. Now it always has 16mb ram even after a hard reset.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
barryware wrote:

I backed up the compressed cfe via http. The edited the sdram init, then plowed the compressed cfe back. Now it always has 16mb ram even after a hard reset.

Cool can you PM me a copy of that CFE?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm, the WRT54GS v7.0 works with the WRT54G v8.x CFE compressor. All 16Meg of memory is available without nvram mod.

I have a GS v6.0 on the way as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
I can confirm, the WRT54GS v7.0 works with the WRT54G v8.x CFE compressor. All 16Meg of memory is available without nvram mod.

I would also like to confirm that CFE128 works on WRT54GS V7.0.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
beyondwind wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

Did you actually run the compressor or flash the cfe from the collection project?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
beyondwind wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

Did you actually run the compressor or flash the cfe from the collection project?

I flashed in serial console with CFE128.bin from GS V7.2

flash -noheader 192.168.1.100:cfe128.bin flash1.boot

after reboot, flashed microplus in serial console.
flash -noheader 192.168.1.100:dd-wrt.v24-13000_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin flash1.trx
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
beyondwind wrote:
I flashed in serial console with CFE128.bin from GS V7.2

flash -noheader 192.168.1.100:cfe128.bin flash1.boot

after reboot, flashed microplus in serial console.
flash -noheader 192.168.1.100:dd-wrt.v24-13000_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin flash1.trx
If you could do a test, flash the 256 CFE and then actually run the compressor. With a confirmation on 2 units we can get it added to the list on the main post.

Navigation

Jump to: