CFE compressors available for some neutered Linksys units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
bugmenever wrote:
how is it going with this project right now ??

Is it safe to upgrade my wrt54g v5 with this new stuff ?

All updates are posted in the first post of this thread...to keep it from getting buried as time passes.

The V5.0 has been supported for over a month now.

redhawk

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the Micro+ build with SSH.... that is exactly what I needed.

I have it running on my WRT54Gv5 ... so far so good.

Looking forward to the CFE compression on v6 so that we
can flash it with the Micro+ build.
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
slgta wrote:
Thanks for the Micro+ build with SSH.... that is exactly what I needed.

I have it running on my WRT54Gv5 ... so far so good.

Looking forward to the CFE compression on v6 so that we
can flash it with the Micro+ build.

I'm eagerly awaiting this as well, but I suspect it is not near the top of the devs' priority list... so I'm trying to be patient!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
hpsenicka wrote:

I'm eagerly awaiting this as well, but I suspect it is not near the top of the devs' priority list... so I'm trying to be patient!

Yeah...I wish I could push things along too...but new device support and bug fixing (SP2 should be coming soon) seems to be the dev's MO right now....not that I am complaining...it is nice to see some new unit support come on board, but it's kinda out of my hands for this old hardware at this time.

Sorry for the delays.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
running a wrt54g v5 here with the new dd-wrt micro plus firmware now.

But loads of problems myself now.
system load is constant over 1.80 and uses all the time 100% now.

Before with the normal micro everything was always around 0.10 or less and cpu never came higher then 20 or 30%

Also the webgui is very very slow now.
Sometimes it doesnt even respond even if i wait 2 minutes.

what should i do and can i go back now to normal micro version instead of micro plus ?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
bugmenever wrote:
running a wrt54g v5 here with the new dd-wrt micro plus firmware now.

But loads of problems myself now.
system load is constant over 1.80 and uses all the time 100% now.

Before with the normal micro everything was always around 0.10 or less and cpu never came higher then 20 or 30%

Also the webgui is very very slow now.
Sometimes it doesnt even respond even if i wait 2 minutes.

what should i do and can i go back now to normal micro version instead of micro plus ?

You can do a reversion just like you normally would...then load the prep and killer again. This will bring you back to a 256K CFE.

As for the CPU average being high...make sure you have Filter Multicast checked on the Security>>firewall tab.

what FW build are you running?

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
bugmenever wrote:

Can't he just load the micro firmware with the webgui? No requirement that he run the plus version on a compressed CFE, is there?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
bugmenever wrote:

Can't he just load the micro firmware with the webgui? No requirement that he run the plus version on a compressed CFE, is there?

Of course...yes...I may have misinterpreted the question. You can load Micro or Micro+ and go back and forth between the 2 builds. Just do a hard reset before and after switching.

I thought the question was in regard to changing the CFE back to original 256K CFE.

sorry if this caused any confusion.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Donny wrote:
bugmenever wrote:

Of course...yes...I may have misinterpreted the question. You can load Micro or Micro+ and go back and forth between the 2 builds. Just do a hard reset before and after switching.

I thought the question was in regard to changing the CFE back to original 256K CFE.

sorry if this caused any confusion.

redhawk

Ah cool i wil try to switch tomorrow back to the normal micro version and report back if the problems are gone then.

Using the latest micro plus build from eko btw.

Ps: Filter multicast is enabled here by default.
PeteBest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems to work pretty nicely with my two 5.0 WRT54g units, cheers for the hard work guys!
leouch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 20:10    Post subject: Revert to original cfe Reply with quote
Is anyone working on making it possible to revert to the original 256K CFE.bin file without the use of the JTAG cable? I'm assuming the Linksys' original firmware will not work with the compressed CFE file.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 20:18    Post subject: Re: Revert to original cfe Reply with quote
leouch wrote:
Is anyone working on making it possible to revert to the original 256K CFE.bin file without the use of the JTAG cable? I'm assuming the Linksys' original firmware will not work with the compressed CFE file.

The stock linksys firmware will not work even if the cfe is not compressed. It is a proceedure that must be followed.

The revert instructions for a non compressed cfe are found in the wiki right after the install instructions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
As redhawk0 stated

Quote:
Currently, this is a ONE WAY operation...meaning it will take your current 256K CFE...compress and reload it as a 128K CFE....it can not be reversed without using TJTAG.

I was assuming that this operation involved lossy compression, whereby information that was unneeded by dd-wrt (but might have been for the original Linksys firmware e.g. MAC address) was discarded to help decrease the size. Thus the reason for backing up the file in the first place and needing the TJTAG cable.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
leouch wrote:

I was assuming that this operation involved lossy compression, whereby information that was unneeded by dd-wrt (but might have been for the original Linksys firmware e.g. MAC address) was discarded to help decrease the size. Thus the reason for backing up the file in the first place and needing the TJTAG cable.

First.. To compress the cfe, it must be running dd-wrt. Meaning that the device has to have been through the "killer" & "prep" process. You can not compress the stock linksys vxworks cfe (or bsp in this case).

The vxworks is vxworks, and dd-wrt runs under linux. Two totally different worlds.

If you were to try to compress the vxworks cfe, I am sure it would result in a brick. However that makes me wonder if it has been tried.

Give it a try and report back Razz .

Just kidding, DO NOT TRY unless you have jtag and backed up your router.

And.... What is you point?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have the TJTAG cable, but backed up the cfe file as was recommended.
I have a WRT54Gv8, but haven't used it agressively with the Linksys firmware, but quickly jumped to dd-wrt micro as it has some extra features (though I've read that third party firmwares are more stable). I currently have dd-wrt v24-sp2 ( 12/06/08 ) micro-plus-ssh installed. I'm assuming that it isn't normal that the load increases to the point where the web gui freezes when connecting a 2nd computer connected on the LAN port. Using the top command shows that none of the processes are using above 1% of the CPU, yet the load is at 100% Confused .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: