Why can't I install tcpdump easily?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
web1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 21:47    Post subject: Why can't I install tcpdump easily? Reply with quote
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/Packages ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
Packages             100% |*******************************|   143k 00:00:00 ETA
Done.
Updated list of available packages in /jffs/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/whiterussian
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/non-free/Packages ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
Packages             100% |*******************************|   568  00:00:00 ETA
Done.
Updated list of available packages in /jffs/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/non-free
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/backports/rc5/Packages ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
Packages             100% |*******************************| 98390  00:00:00 ETA
Done.
Updated list of available packages in /jffs/usr/lib/ipkg/lists/backports
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg -d root install tcpdump

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/libpcap_0.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
libpcap_0.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************| 68534  00:00:00 ETA
Done.
Unpacking libpcap...Done.
Configuring libpcap...Done.

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************|   251k 00:00:00 ETA
Done.
ipkg_install_file: ERROR: tcpdump depends on the following uninstalled programs:
    libpcap
ipkg_install_file: You may want to use `ipkg install' to install these.
ipkg_get_install: ERROR: Failed to install /jffs/tmp/ipkg/tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk
ipkg_get_install: I'll leave it there for you to try a manual installation
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg install tcpdump       

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/libpcap_0.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
libpcap_0.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************| 68534  00:00:00 ETA
Done.
Unpacking libpcap...Done.
Configuring libpcap...Done.

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************|   251k 00:00:00 ETA
Done.
ipkg_install_file: ERROR: tcpdump depends on the following uninstalled programs:
    libpcap
ipkg_install_file: You may want to use `ipkg install' to install these.
ipkg_get_install: ERROR: Failed to install /jffs/tmp/ipkg/tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk
ipkg_get_install: I'll leave it there for you to try a manual installation
root@DD-WRT:~# df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    1984      1984         0 100% /
/dev/root                 1984      1984         0 100% /
/dev/mtdblock/4            896       468       428  52% /jffs
root@DD-WRT:~# ls /jffs/usr/lib/
ipkg              libpcap.so.0.9    libpcap.so.0.9.4
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg remove tcpdump   
root@DD-WRT:~# ls /jffs/usr/lib/
ipkg              libpcap.so.0.9    libpcap.so.0.9.4
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg remove libpcap
root@DD-WRT:~# ls /jffs/usr/lib/
ipkg              libpcap.so.0.9    libpcap.so.0.9.4
root@DD-WRT:~# rm /jffs/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.9*
root@DD-WRT:~# ls /jffs/usr/lib/
ipkg
root@DD-WRT:~# df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    1984      1984         0 100% /
/dev/root                 1984      1984         0 100% /
/dev/mtdblock/4            896       388       508  43% /jffs
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg -d root install tcpdump
The following package were previously requested but have not been installed:
tcpdump
Install them now [Y/n] ? Y

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/libpcap_0.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
libpcap_0.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************| 68534  00:00:00 ETA
Done.
Unpacking libpcap...Done.
Configuring libpcap...Done.

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************|   251k 00:00:00 ETA
Done.
ipkg_install_file: ERROR: tcpdump depends on the following uninstalled programs:
    libpcap
ipkg_install_file: You may want to use `ipkg install' to install these.
ipkg_get_install: ERROR: Failed to install /jffs/tmp/ipkg/tcpdump_3.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk
ipkg_get_install: I'll leave it there for you to try a manual installation

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/libpcap_0.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk ...
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
libpcap_0.9.4-1_mips 100% |*******************************| 68534  00:00:00 ETA
Done.
tar: short read
tar: short read
ipkg_install_file: ERROR unpacking control.tar.gz from /jffs/tmp/ipkg/libpcap_0.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk
ipkg_get_install: ERROR: Failed to install /jffs/tmp/ipkg/libpcap_0.9.4-1_mipsel.ipk
ipkg_get_install: I'll leave it there for you to try a manual installation
root@DD-WRT:~# ls /jffs/usr/lib/
ipkg              libpcap.so.0.9    libpcap.so.0.9.4
root@DD-WRT:~# crap
SYSTEM: This is, you are right!

[/code]
Sponsor
web1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why doesn't it just say "not enough room in directory /jffs" or something?

For anyone having this problem, try this to install it in RAM:

/bin/ipkg -d /tmp/root -force-depends install tcpdump

It still won't work from command prompt as usual, but you can run it like this if you have libpcap installed in jffs still:

/tmp/root/usr/sbin/tcpdump

And here's where it's installed:

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# ls -al /tmp/root/usr/sbin/
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Jan 30  2007 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Jan 30  2007 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       653832 Jan 30  2007 tcpdump


But... As you can see it's 653K and if you look:
166671 Jan 30 2007 libpcap.so.0.9.4

libpcap is 166K and you also have 120K of ipkg list and maybe some other things in jffs so you are out of space.

So you had to go through all that to tell how big tcpdump really is since ipkg doesn't tell you squat.

Someone fix this please (ipkg space / disk full error reporting).
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fix what? nothing is broken here, and you don't even post what kind of router you have, without even listing basic info, how do you think someone can help you?
_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7215

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
web1 wrote:
Why doesn't it just say "not enough room in directory /jffs" or something?


Someone fix this please (ipkg space / disk full error reporting).


Take that request to the maintainer of ipkg, this is not a specific dd-wrt problem.

_________________
I'm on a whiskey diet, lost 3 days already
web1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
web1 wrote:
Why doesn't it just say "not enough room in directory /jffs" or something?


Someone fix this please (ipkg space / disk full error reporting).


Take that request to the maintainer of ipkg, this is not a specific dd-wrt problem.

So ipkg isn't a concern for dd-wrt people?

And having it report "disk full" isn't a concern to anyone one on the forum who has to answer over and over again that it's a disk space problem?

Edit:

Another question would be, is there a smaller "tcpdump" more limited of course, or something like it that's smaller?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Being that you never list your router as i said, how would anyone know what flash amount you have to even allow JFFS usage here?

No, not listing basic info is of no concern here, i suppose we just come up with answers out of thin air...

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7215

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
web1 wrote:
LOM wrote:
web1 wrote:
Why doesn't it just say "not enough room in directory /jffs" or something?


Someone fix this please (ipkg space / disk full error reporting).


Take that request to the maintainer of ipkg, this is not a specific dd-wrt problem.

So ipkg isn't a concern for dd-wrt people?

And having it report "disk full" isn't a concern to anyone one on the forum who has to answer over and over again that it's a disk space problem?

Edit:

Another question would be, is there a smaller "tcpdump" more limited of course, or something like it that's smaller?


It is expected that those users who install additional packages on their router knows what they are doing and those who don't should keep their hands off.
Part of knowing what you are doing contains finding out the size of the packages before installing them,
similar to looking at the price tag of a product in a shop and knowing the contents in your wallet before proceeding to the cashier..

If you want a system with full error message handling and all commands with every possible cmd switch included then build yourself a linux based desktop or routerboard router with gigabytes of ram and terrabytes of hard disk and you can install whatever extra you need without having to think about space limitations.
Your router has severe space limits and every extra byte of code does not only affect your router but also the routers of all dd-wrt users worldwide where 9 out of 10 of them are running dd-wrt just as it is.

_________________
I'm on a whiskey diet, lost 3 days already
web1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
web1 wrote:
LOM wrote:
web1 wrote:
Why doesn't it just say "not enough room in directory /jffs" or something?


Someone fix this please (ipkg space / disk full error reporting).


Take that request to the maintainer of ipkg, this is not a specific dd-wrt problem.

So ipkg isn't a concern for dd-wrt people?

And having it report "disk full" isn't a concern to anyone one on the forum who has to answer over and over again that it's a disk space problem?

Edit:

Another question would be, is there a smaller "tcpdump" more limited of course, or something like it that's smaller?


It is expected that those users who install additional packages on their router knows what they are doing and those who don't should keep their hands off.
Part of knowing what you are doing contains finding out the size of the packages before installing them,
similar to looking at the price tag of a product in a shop and knowing the contents in your wallet before proceeding to the cashier..

If you want a system with full error message handling and all commands with every possible cmd switch included then build yourself a linux based desktop or routerboard router with gigabytes of ram and terrabytes of hard disk and you can install whatever extra you need without having to think about space limitations.
Your router has severe space limits and every extra byte of code does not only affect your router but also the routers of all dd-wrt users worldwide where 9 out of 10 of them are running dd-wrt just as it is.
Yes, you are right, not enough room for "Disk Full", 9 bytes.

And it's failing for a reason so you already have a code byte so let's say a if statement complied in C, OK maybe 5 or so more bytes of code.

And the packages don't make it clear how big the item actually is.

buddee wrote:
Being that you never list your router as i said, how would anyone know what flash amount you have to even allow JFFS usage here?

No, not listing basic info is of no concern here, i suppose we just come up with answers out of thin air...


Is something wrong with the part of the printout I posted where this hardly ever used rare as can be command called "df" is used?

You have got to be kidding me.

Is this really how things get done around here?
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum