Wireless Security settings not saved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 17:38    Post subject: Wireless Security settings not saved Reply with quote
I have searched & it seems as though this is a new topic. I apologize if it's already been brought up.

I just bought a WRT160N v1 & flashed it with v24 SP1 mini, then std (generic release). Yea! My first DD-WRT flash experience!

But then, I learn that I cannot setup any sort of Wireless Security...

WEP -> Apply settings, switch to another tab & switch back --> key is missing, but still says WEP
WPA/2 Personal --> Apply settings, they appear to save

In either case, a wireless scan reveals that there is no security. Furthermore, a reboot of the router always results in the drop-down reverting to "Disabled".

I tried going back to the original v24 std (generic) release, but it acts the same.

Ideas? Thanks!

Matt
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
SP1 Bug. Upgrade to download, other, eko, tng24 either sv10431 or sv10509....
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight.

Does this bug exist only for this particular router?

Matt
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kemis wrote:

Does this bug exist only for this particular router?

Matt

I don' t think so. The choice is build is between 10431, which seems pretty stable to me, and the 10509, which is newer and SHOULD be better.
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, as far as I can tell, the bug wasn't fixed in either of those releases. Worse, my internet connection slowed to a crawl each time I flashed to one of them (think 10k/sec or less).

Being such a dumb newb, I figured I'd just try the "VINT" version instead of the "NEWD" version without researching the difference. Now my control panel doesn't load.

Did I just brick the router? Or is there a standard reset procedure I can do to revive it?

Is there any sort of "comparison chart" explaining the difference between micro/mini/std/mega & NEWD vs. VINT, etc?

Thanks,
Matt
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You likely did not do a 30-30-30 reset after you loaded the new firmware, which might have saved you. 10431 is MUCH better than SP1, so I expect that if you had problems it was due to installation errors.

Try flashing the last version that worked, using the tftp program.

Check the FAQ in the wiki for version differences. Make sure you use the correct version for your router.

I hope all the lights aren't on on the router....
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're right in that I didn't hard reset after each firmware. Worse, I was inconsistent with resetting factory defaults vs. not between switching builds.

Nonetheless, my router didn't act dead until after I flashed the VINT build (and said to use existing config).

The router "appears" alive. In other words, the LAN light & Internet light blink as you'd expect & the power light is steady. Other lights are off as expected.

The router cannot be pinged, though, so a TFTP fails to connect as a result (yes, I have a static IP set).

So what is the definition of "brick"? Do I have other options here, or if the router doesn't give itself an IP, is it bricked?

Thanks!
Matt
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
You likely did not do a 30-30-30 reset after you loaded the new firmware, which might have saved you. 10431 is MUCH better than SP1, so I expect that if you had problems it was due to installation errors.

Try flashing the last version that worked, using the tftp program.

Check the FAQ in the wiki for version differences. Make sure you use the correct version for your router.

I hope all the lights aren't on on the router....

Man... I have asked before.. The admin's really, really, really gotta sticky the whole 30/30/30 thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

Man... I have asked before.. The admin's really, really, really gotta sticky the whole 30/30/30 thing.

I agree Barry. There should be a requirement that people PROVE they have done a 30-30-30 before they can get a username/password to this forum....maybe when you click on the email confirmation it should automatically do a hard reset.

I think its time you and I started a FAQ for noobs...the paint is starting to wear off my 3 and 0 keys.

Back to Kemis: What are your LAN lights doing when everything is unplugged.
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
My thought all along after I read the 30/30/30 topic in the FAQ/Wiki area was this:

"If hard resetting is so important after flashing a new firmware, then why isn't this advice right there in the Firmware Upgrade page in DD-WRT itself!?"

Stickying the topic would definitely help, but it should seriously be some sort of popup that appears before the flash even occurs.

Along the same lines, the Home Page --> Community --> Wiki is too hidden & should be promoted to the main home page. For noobs like me, what the wiki looks like now, is what I would expect the Home Page to look like.

Okay, back to lights:

- With nothing plugged in except power, the power light is steady.
- When you unplug power & plug it back in, all lights are on for 1 second, then it goes straight to a steady power light.
- When you tap the reset button on the back, nothing changes (PWR stays steady).
- The same behavior happens when holding reset for 30/30/30. The power light never "flashes" as I would expect when clearing NVRAM, etc. As soon as you plug power back in (even while holding reset), all lights are on for 1 sec, then steady PWR.

Thank you everyone so much for your help!!

Matt
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like it is waiting for a flash. Try flashing the CORRECT version for your router. Read the Peacock thread, on this page.
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I'm not sure how I can TFTP anything, though, if I can't ping the router. I've read over the recovery Wiki page, and tried all sorts of combinations of reset button presses & ping commands with no success.

An "arp -a" using my good router reports a bunch of devices, including "192.168.1.1". When I do the same thing on the bricked router, I see everything I just saw, minus the router's entry.

I just bought a JTAG cable off eBay... Smile The real fun will be trying to find another "v1" of my WRT160N somewhere in town so I can start playing again ASAP. I had to buy the *display model* at Radio Shack in order to get this v1. hehe

Incidentally, does anyone know the name of the bit I need to use on this model to get the plastic off safely? It's a hex with a hole in the middle.

Thanks again!
Matt
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
How long have you tried to ping it for, and exactly what respnses do you get? Was the router ever set to any other IP addresses then 192.168.1.1?

Try the tftp.exe, setting retries to 100. Start the program and then immediately plug the router in. Timing can be everything. Try slightly different delays, and then try just leaving it to retry.

If that doesn't work, try a different firmware.

If you plug in a cable, does the lan light come on?
kemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've lete it ping constantly for over 5 minutes with no valid reply. I have gotten "mixed" results in that sometimes the error is "destination host unreachable" with the other errors being "request timed out".

At the moment, it's pretty consistent: If everything is plugged in & operational, then the error is "request timed out". If I disable the connection, or disconnect the wire, then I get "destination host unreachable". If I unplug the router during the ping process then I will get "device error" until everything's back to "normal".

Regarding TFTP, I set my NIC to 10MB/half & renamed the original Linksys firmware to "code.bin" & used TFTP2 to retry over and over (100 times x 2 attempts). It never took. NOTE: While router was plugged in, it said "erasing flash... this may take a while" (not verbatim) & took about 10 seconds to "give up/timeout", but when the router was unplugged, it immediately jumped to the next retry.

Regarding LAN lights, they act completely normal. When the cable is plugged in & the NIC is disabled, the light is on & solid. When the NIC is enabled, the LED blinks like you'd expect due to activity. It acts this way no matter which port is plugged in. Likewise, the Internet port blinks as you'd expect, too, when something's plugged into the WAN port.

I have *never* gotten the device to blink the power light where it looks like it's waiting for a flash or booting. As soon as the device is plugged in (whether reset is held or not) the PWR light comes on immediately & stays steady.

JTAG? Or other ideas?

Matt

P.S. - No, the device has always been 192.168.1.1.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a different firmware, if there is one. I don't think there is a tomato version for that router, and don't know about openwrt. Try a different, micro version of dd-wrt. See if that works. Remember that timing is everything when it comes to flashing firmware. The failing to ping is probably revealing, though.

Take a look at this thread and see if there is anything you can apply to your situation.....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15740

If not, you might have to seek jtag instructions for that router. I suggest a new thread about how to jtag that router, if you can't flash with something else.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: