REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24Sp1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
caifaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 19:12    Post subject: DIR-615 C2 working as reapeater! Reply with quote
Hello all, THANKS BUDDY THANKS.

It works perfectly, here's my suggestion, BEFORE changing tabs in ddwrt menu FIRST press SAVE, some changes won't be saved and that's why you end up having issues with repeater mode.

grazie tante my friend
Sponsor
don544
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 19:42    Post subject: Re: REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24S Reply with quote
djkad wrote:
Hi all..i'm so happy..Tried for 2 days to configure my fonera for work as repeater (not WDS) and now it's working!!!
I'm typing this message from my laptop connected "wireless" to fonera. Fonera is also "wireless" connected to my other AP "thomson".
It's working good for now. i can bring my lil fonera everywhere and plug just the power supply..no wire!! I'm listening streaming radio for see if the signal is continuous and no problems for now. I can see other laptop and pc connected in the main router thomson (wired pcs and wireless laptops).
I want to clarify something because i've spent most of time flashing my fon for find the right version with "Repeater mode" available. Well...I couldn't find. No matter, because "YOU DON'T NEED" that function. All u need is to follow these steps.
U have to think first ur fonera like a client bridge for estabilish a connection between Fonera and Main AP. Then you will extend this functionality also for wifi clients using a Virtual interface as VAP.
NOTE: Client Bridge only or WDS Settings permits you to create just a Channel BRIDGE for 2 wired lan (in the main ap you will have still wifi clients allowed but not in fonera)

This is a "Repeater Mode"

I show you all my settings. Hope it can help

Primary access point (thomson)

Ip: 192.168.1.254
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP enable From 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150
SSId="Net"
Wifi auth WPA Passkey="pippo"
Port available (4 ethernet ports (4 PC connected actually) + wifi (3 laptop + now the fonera!!!))

Fonera settings:

Setup > Basic setup:
Connection Type : Automatic Configuration DHCP (because my primary access point use DHCP)
STP: Disable (don't know why)
Router Name : Whatever you want..i used Repeater
Router IP:
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.120 (because my main router assign number from .100 to .150)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (The same of main router)
Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (The same of main router)
Local DNS: 192.168.1.254 (The same of main router)
Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
DHCP Type= DHCP Server (I will assign ip also to laptop connected wireless or wired to fonera)
Start ip address: 192.168.1.200 (I could use also from .151 because from .100 to .150 are used by my main router)
Maximum DHCP Users: 44 (Because 192.168.1.254 is used by my main router)

Setup>Advanced Routing:
Operating mode: Rip2 Router

Wireless > Basic settings
Regulatory Domain: (ITALY)
Wireless Mode: Client Bridge (Don't worry..You will use ath0 for client bridge and a virtual interface for accept also WIFI users in fonera)
Wireless Network Name: Net (the same as main router)
Virtual Interfaces (add one):
Wireless Network Name(SSID): Net2 (u can write whatever u want..like Net helper LOL)
Wireless Mode: AP

Wireless > Wireless Security (U will be surprised to see the possibility to configure protection also for virtualinterface)
Wireless Security (ath0)
Security Mode (WPA Personal) (the same kind of the main router)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP (the same of main router)
WPA Shared Key: pippo (the same passphrase of the main router)
Virtual Interfaces (ath1)
Security Mode: WPA Personal (U can choose the kind of protection u want..I used the same kind of protection because i prefer WPA)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP
WPA Shared Key: pluto

Status>Wireless>Site Survey>Join to the SSID of main router for connect fonera (and estabilish the client bridge)

Enjoy...

Now i'm studyin the radius protocol for create a custom HOTSPOT application for hotels/B&B

(Connection still stable after one hour)

Hello
I know this post has aged a bit however I would like to thank you for the information as it has helped me to work out the bugs in my twin Netgear WNDR3700 setup and is now up and working for three days.
elric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 14:50    Post subject: repeater and bridge Reply with quote
A repeater work on level 1 form the OSI model: that means it take the signal (wired or wireless) as is and reproduce it. So in our case, it will always be an AP too (because the second device will reproduce the electromagnetic signal from the first one).

A bridge work on level 2 of the OSI model: that means it will handled a structured signal, like ethernet frame. So in our case, building a bridge between the two devices will enable them to send each other ethernet frame using their two MAC address. In this case, we will have to create a virtual interface with the same SSID as the first device to make the second device become an AP. It won't be a repeater, but an other AP broadcasting the same SSID.

That said, I work with the fonera 2100, with the last existing build of the V24 preSP2 and the repeater mode doesn't exist in that version. So I build a bridge and create a virtual interface with the same SSID: it works, but isn't stable. As far as I tested it, broadcasting the same SSID on two different interface with two different MAC address is the problem.

Have you got any similar experiences ? Any other explanation ?
starbright
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 18:56    Post subject: Re: REPEATER finally workin in my Fonera 2100 and DDWRT 24S Reply with quote
djkad wrote:

Wireless > Basic settings
Regulatory Domain: (ITALY)
Wireless Mode: Client Bridge (Don't worry..You will use ath0 for client bridge and a virtual interface for accept also WIFI users in fonera)
Wireless Network Name: Net (the same as main router)
Virtual Interfaces (add one):
Wireless Network Name(SSID): Net2 (u can write whatever u want..like Net helper LOL)
Wireless Mode: AP

In my case the second SSID is the Repeater SSID - so shouldn't this be the same SSID?!?
So both get SSID "Net"
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: