The Peacock Thread: Part II (The rest of the story)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
30-30-30 reset would clear up a lot of the problems we see from people in the forums.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30
Sponsor
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shawn360 wrote:
30-30-30 reset would clear up a lot of the problems we see from people in the forums.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

If he adds the "standing on the head licking a popsickle" part it works as well..

That's not an argument.

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater wrote:

That's not an argument.

No need to argue....tell what you suggest. We can see what you don't suggest is necessary.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hesitated to post this, because there's nothing really wrong doing that (nor does standing on your head...). The "don't cut corners" was the reason I did post.

The statement somehow questions your authority on the matter.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater wrote:

The statement somehow questions your authority on the matter.

To be clear, I don't claim any authority and very little knowledge. However, I have tried to help out giving advice where I felt I could contribute something.

I found that the things that were helpful were being repeated over and over again. The stickies on this forum were mostly quite technical.

This thread was meant to be basic information of common more newbie mistakes. One of which seems to be cutting corners in installation. Another is flashing first and then figuring out what/how to flash their particular hardware.

I can understand that my tone might be seen as paternalistic....but I do NOT mean to imply that *I* am knowledgeable or an authority. I only felt the need to have this basic information available and since no one else had compiled it, I did.
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:30    Post subject: Re: The Peacock Thread: If dd-wrt isn't working, go here fi Reply with quote
frater wrote:
Nothing is being done when the router is not plugged in and the reset is pressed. The reset button only works when the router is running. You are merely parotting what others have said.

Should I also stand on my head whilst licking a popsickle?

You're missing the point. Holding the reset button while the unit is powered off does indeed serve a purpose. If nothing else, it tells the bootloader to reset the nvram next time you plug it in.
robert-e
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater,
I too have been curious about the reset cycle. Have you measured how long it takes for the electrolytic capacitors to drain their charge to below what is needed to sustain the static ram? I should do this the next time I have the case to my 54gl apart. If you should or have done this, I would be interested to hear what you have found.
Regards,
Bob
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would SRAM have to do with it? The firmware settings are stored in NVRAM. Confused
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are we REALLY going to discuss whether the 30-30-30 reset could actually be a 30-12-30 reset? Or a 25-2-15 reset? The reason might not be because 30 is needed BUT BECAUSE IT IS SIMPLE FOR NOVICES AND WORKS!!!!
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The middle 30 seconds is not needed....
Can you proof it makes a difference?

That's the question you should ask. You are totally reversing logic here.

I know more or less how these things REALLY work instead of the mumbo-jumbo parotting that most people in this industry do.

You describe a series of procedures and just because the series work, you are stating all of the procedure are necessary.

I'll tell you the middle one is a bogus procedure.

If you are honest to us, you know that you can't tell us why this procedure is necessary because you don't know what is happening at all at that time.

Do you even know who first proposed this procedure? And do you know how old that person is and his experience and knowledge? I'm sure you don't.

And don't be intimidated by the Guru-thing.
On your next message you'll be a guru too.... Wink

robert-e
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soulstace;
Okay, fair enough, (I thought the non-volatile ram was static ram)...but whatever...I still wonder how much time it takes to zero the ram, when it is reset? I dont imagine one can guess it with any real precision, but would have to be a real-world measurement. On further thought, the time constant would vary according to the lossiness of the capacitor?
Actually, to be honest..these sort of hardware questions interest me much more than the software quirkiness Wink
Regards,
Bob
robert-e
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater;
Enlighten me...Why is "I'll tell you the middle one is a bogus procedure. " Seriously, I am interested.

Best regards,
Bob
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
robert-e wrote:
these sort of hardware questions interest me much more than the software quirkiness Wink
Regards,
Bob

The capacitors are totally irrelevant in regard to the reset button. This reset button isn't used as a simple short-circuiting switch. It's being polled by software which is simply NOT running when the power has been cut-off. A capacitor able to do this will NOT fit in this casing.

robert-e
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater,
You are very fast poster...no time for me to correct my poor typing Wink
Your reply sounds reasonable...Does anyone have a link to the circuit diagram of a typical router (I have a 54gl). I am kind of ashamed that I have had this thing for over 3 years, and still have not looked at a print to see how it works. I guess I am getting old ;-)

Regards
Bob
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
robert-e wrote:
frater,
Your reply sounds reasonable...Does anyone have a link to the circuit diagram of a typical router (I have a 54gl)

I have tried to find a circuit-diagram before, but couldn't. My statements are based on the fact that the reset button can be turned off in software. The software then decides to neglect the state of the reset button.
You will not find any program for your pc that is able to neglect the reset button of your PC (if it still has one). That's why they sometimes call this a hard reset.
Such a reset button tells your processor to start at address 0 and this is really something else than the button on our routers. But even pressing that one while your computer is turned off will not make any sense either.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: