The Peacock Thread: Part II (The rest of the story)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
smfrank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the risk of resurrecting the old discussion on erasing nvram, it was my experience that the commands:
Code:
erase nvram
reboot

Worked for erasing nvram under SVN 11296 on a WRT54GL only if I executed them through telnet. (Someone a few pages suggested that this might be the case, but I didn't see that it was confirmed.) Probably not worth posting in the main peacock thread about, but that should/might explain all the discrepancy between "erase nvram works perfectly for me!" and "erase nvram resets nothing at all!" Perhaps the web gui command window has some sort of filtering that prevents the execution of certain commands, I don't know.

Perhaps this is all common knowledge now and I'm wasting my breath, but hey, I didn't know at least.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
smfrank wrote:

Perhaps this is all common knowledge now and I'm wasting my breath, but hey, I didn't know at least.

Nope. This is a perfect place to discuss it. (BTW...You CAN'T post to the peacock thread...it's locked!)

I have "erased" through telnet using those commands and I did not reset my nvram. So what you have observed might only be true of some routers. That is why the 30/30/30 is recommended. It works for all routers and therefore is better general advice.

Also, FWIW, the other MTD command that was discussed in this thread is very dangerous. Get the syntax wrong and you can wipe your router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
smfrank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know.

By "post" in the main peacock thread I didn't mean me, I meant the author (which would be you). But like I said, I didn't think it worth it for such a small tidbit that is only maybe applicable for certain routers. Especially given the rest of the info you just posted. Thanks!
smfrank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I should also ask this: Peacock thread still says to use SVN11296 but the other sticky now says to use 12188. Is the newer update a recommendation only for wireless N devices, or does it also replace the previous recommendation of 11296 for wireless G devices?

The reason I ask is that I've been experiencing two quirky behaviors with a setup I'm trying to use and I'm wondering if the newer build might fix those:

1. Unbridged virtual WLANs can't see the internet, even if I get them set up with DHCP. ("Fixed" by putting them in their own bridge as per the Pennock guide, but seems unecessarily complicated to do so.)
  2. Putting vlan1 (ie, the WAN) in a bridge kills the WAN unless the WAN is assigned to the bridge itself, not vlan1. However, doing the latter changes the WAN MAC address (!), which is messing up my static DHCP. (EDIT: Here is the link to the post where this is described in detail - http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=312297)

Any thoughts about whether I should upgrade or not? (If those issues aren't fixed by an upgrade, it doesn't seem worth it to upgrade.)

EDIT: I should mention that I tried build 12188 and it did not change the two items I mentioned above, so for anyone else reading this: nope, no advantage there over 11296.

Last edited by smfrank on Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:03; edited 2 times in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like 11296 on wireless G devices, as it is stable, well tested, and works great for most applications. However, there is nothing wrong with trying the recommended builds on wireless g. They will also work on wireless G devices, and won't do anything stupid like brick them.....unless you have a Asus WL500W. Those units brick almost from just looking at them.

So, any of the builds should work well on your routers, and if 11296 isn't doing what you want, try the newest recommended build.

I don't know if the build changes address the issues you report. If not, it is best to start a new thread on those. Might be something you are doing or not doing in your setup.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
smfrank wrote:
At the risk of resurrecting the old discussion on erasing nvram, it was my experience that the commands:
Code:
erase nvram
reboot

Worked for erasing nvram under SVN 11296 on a WRT54GL only if I executed them through telnet. (Someone a few pages suggested that this might be the case, but I didn't see that it was confirmed.) Probably not worth posting in the main peacock thread about, but that should/might explain all the discrepancy between "erase nvram works perfectly for me!" and "erase nvram resets nothing at all!" Perhaps the web gui command window has some sort of filtering that prevents the execution of certain commands, I don't know.

I find "erase nvram" seems to work from telnet for Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and Asus 520GU routers. I consider it to work because I find I have to reset the password on the router after I do it and all other settings seem to be gone as well. So, should I expect this to continue to work on all versions of DD-WRT I might try on those routers? Also, what is the difference supposed to be between these?

erase nvram
mtd erase nvram
mtd nvram erase

When would it be appropriate to use each? I never use the mtd ones though, but am curious as to the differences and why the one mtd command bricks routers.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it works, it works. However, I have tried it on my Asus WL520GU and found that my settings were the same including my re-configured IP address on the router. So, I have found that erase nvram is not as reliable.

MTD is a dangerous command:

mtd erase nvram
mtd nvram erase

ONE of those will destroy everything on your router and require jtag. Of course, with the Asus, jtag is not an option. You will have created white trash.

Diamond187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 18:46    Post subject: New Build Suggestions b/c of exploit Reply with quote
Now that the HTTP exploit is public, what build would be a good 'tested' choice that is free from the defect? We're currently running 11296M on all our devices here, and are more interested in overall stability than anything else. Being an occasional forum reader, it'd be great if there were a thread for what the 'best' build of the moment was, since the database is often not updated. For some that are very frequent readers they are up enough to know the plusses and minuses of many of the builds, but you often have to poke through 10 pages about someones inability to reset or get WDS working to find a nugget of insight on a specific build.

either way, any insight on the best 'secured' build for wireless G routers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Diamond187
jb510
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 21:40    Post subject: Re: New Build Suggestions b/c of exploit Reply with quote
Diamond187 wrote:
Now that the HTTP exploit is public, what build would be a good 'tested' choice that is free from the defect? We're currently running 11296M on all our devices here, and are more interested in overall stability than anything else. Being an occasional forum reader, it'd be great if there were a thread for what the 'best' build of the moment was, since the database is often not updated. For some that are very frequent readers they are up enough to know the plusses and minuses of many of the builds, but you often have to poke through 10 pages about someones inability to reset or get WDS working to find a nugget of insight on a specific build.

either way, any insight on the best 'secured' build for wireless G routers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Diamond187

Please try to post to appropriate threads :)

See the announcement threads (Sticked at the top of the forum). There is a thread indicating the currently recommended build (it may not be updated for the exploit yet). However be aware that ONLY the very latest builds (EKO 12548 and BS 12533) will be fixed for the exploit therefor none has been in the wild late enough be "recommended"
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 22:42    Post subject: Re: New Build Suggestions b/c of exploit Reply with quote
jb510 wrote:

See the announcement threads (Sticked at the top of the forum). There is a thread indicating the currently recommended build (it may not be updated for the exploit yet). However be aware that ONLY the very latest builds (EKO 12548 and BS 12533) will be fixed for the exploit therefor none has been in the wild late enough be "recommended"

Ironic....it's actually the first part of this thread and yes...it has been updated to at least deal with the exploit.

Old builds are fine with the firewall script.

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah...I updated mine the other day too to include links to the post-exploit builds.

Guys...you can't go by the date listed for the announcement thread...once the thread is locked...only a moderator can edit the content...but it does NOT update the original post date of that thread.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you please add a "NEWD2 Router Compatible List" in Peacock thread? Thanks!
ctovar_ve
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Can you please add a "NEWD2 Router Compatible List" in Peacock thread? Thanks!

That already exists in Peacock Thread, Note 3:

Murrkf in Peacock Thread wrote:
Some people are jumping ahead to the newer NEWD-2 builds (builds with NEWD-2 in the name) even though they are not recommended builds and without reading the build threads that are available for each new release. Do NOT put NEWD-2 on your router without reading the build threads and knowing what you are doing. NEWD-2 will brick many routers. See these threads for guidance:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54711
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=55625

Check the second link.

Last edited by ctovar_ve on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:29; edited 1 time in total
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
My mistake..
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some time hard reset (30x30x30) is needed, but it seems lot of people take it as law here.

there is lot of people requesting for dummy issue, like: "I make a mismatch typing my new username and now i'm not able to access the web gui" or "I've set my router as client and now would like to set it as repeater", and people who answer this kind of request begin their answer by "do a 30x30x30 hard reset before changing mode". Every body knows in this case, that simply holding the reset button a fiew seconds will restore the factory default, and this will enough for this case. So I guess this should be mentionned as it was before...Hard reset is a special procedure needed when upgrading a firmware our to unbreak a device and restore via TFTP.

This is crazy because this become a war between two parts...People who claim "Do a Hard reset every time you breath" and people who "breath without doing systématicly hard reset".

I think we should be very specific about using this procedure.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: