The Peacock Thread: Part II (The rest of the story)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 10908
Location: Wherever the wind blows- North America

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its a lousy 90 seconds out of your life...when in doubt...do the 30/30/30....it won't hurt....it can only help.

redhawk

_________________
I currently test dd-wrt on Asus, Buffalo, Linksys, and Netgear. Too many to list.

Looking for more test units (newer models) for the project...got a brick?...PM me to make a donation. (USA) A donation is not a debricking service....it is a way to "Give back" to the dd-wrt project.

I do NOT provide personal assistance through chat or phone....so please don't ask.
Sponsor
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe, but when somebody tell me that my post is foolish because i say to hold the reset button to restore factory default....I think this become crazy.

You don't need a watch doing this and don't need acrobatic position Wink

_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Donny
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 5266
Location: CENTRAL Midnowhere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Maybe, but when somebody tell me that my post is foolish because i say to hold the reset button to restore factory default....I think this become crazy.

You don't need a watch doing this and don't need acrobatic position Wink


It is foolish and you continue to miss the point. A hard reset is a simple reliable way to clear the nvram on broadcom routers. It is safe and it works. Telling people to do things that 'might' work when there is a simple method that will work, is bad advice.

Also, you told that poster to do a soft reset after the hard reset did not work! If the hard reset didn't work, a soft reset is a foolish follow up. Thankfully Modervator piped in with device specific information, but the advice you gave was still bad.

_________________
Warning: I'm "out of my element!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYJ7zZ9BRw&NR=1

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12814
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Maybe, but when somebody tell me that my post is foolish because i say to hold the reset button to restore factory default....I think this become crazy.

You don't need a watch doing this and don't need acrobatic position Wink


Why are you spewing your reset philosophy on the end of a 6 month old thread? Have you not voiced your opinion enough elsewhere?

stfu already

have a great day

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, but foolish is not the term to use!

hard reset destroy all nvram variable to re create it. When you just need to restore default value, you don't need to kill any variable, but just to change their value.

So i guess i don't miss any point, in this case, sorry donny, but we are in democratic country(almost i hope you are), so "foolish" as no place here almost when i'm not wrong.

_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:


Why are you spewing your reset philosophy on the end of a 6 month old thread? Have you not voiced your opinion enough elsewhere?

stfu already

have a great day


Sorry i just try to find the right place to give my point of view about this point, because i think it's crazy to act as a Farmer when we are talking about fine networking system. So now i gave my point of view the right place and will not continue talking about this...every body knows it now Wink

_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Donny
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 5266
Location: CENTRAL Midnowhere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
so "foolish" as no place here almost when i'm not wrong.


When two of the most knowledgeable and well informed contributors to this forum suggest that your viewpoint is incorrect, (and I am not including myself as one of those two) perhaps you should stop and listen to everyone.

In the post that you are referring to, where I indicated your advice was foolish, you told someone to do a soft reset AFTER they had indicated that a FULL HARD reset did not work on their router. So your response is to do a soft reset?

Democracy also includes freedom of speech. And your post was foolish because 1. it was bad advice, and 2. it could not even possibly work. = foolish.

_________________
Warning: I'm "out of my element!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYJ7zZ9BRw&NR=1

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
so "foolish" as no place here almost when i'm not wrong.


When two of the most knowledgeable and well informed contributors to this forum suggest that your viewpoint is incorrect, (and I am not including myself as one of those two) perhaps you should stop and listen to everyone.

this is not democratie, this is call Autocratie when two person think they have the right way of thinking!
I could listen to most people that you could imagine. I think you could only listen to your voice, and this is bothering you that someone do not agree with your mind! so this very far from democratic way, because you just claim people wich do not agree with you is foolish.
Quote:

Democracy also includes freedom of speech. And your post was foolish because 1. it was bad advice, and 2. it could not even possibly work. = foolish.

what are you talking about, you who just could not accept there could be a different advice than yours????
What i've noticed with Nvram was clear enough! you don't understand the diference between seting a variable value and destroy a value to re create it and give it a new value?
What is foolish in this??? I'm sory but if you think answering post with "Do hard reset" for 4900 Post could make a network guru...you are foolish in this case!

Networking is not a farmer job! :)

you have to be fine mind, and i think this the point you are missing!

System which work perfet for almost 30 years(computing systems) do not have to be broken because you 've decide it!
So i guess reset button has a clear enough function since almost this time.

Restore is different than rebuilt, and some time you don't need to rebuilt a device to make it work back, and this is all i tryed to say when you said i'm foolish.

When Frater talk about parotting (i agree wit him{*}) you did not says he is foolish, when something is evident, why would you always go against if it is Yzy-Oui-Fi sign?

So maybe i'm foolish , who knows, readers will make there own advice what ever you claim about me! :)

Open your mind and try to think by your self without following blindly the TFM could be something good for your mind Donny....Be pragmatic(each issue has one way to be solv....there is no swiss knife for all issues), and stop judging people who don't think the same way as yours. I respect you as human been, but i did not agree with your mind...Did it make Me Foolish? are You God? guess no ;)

{*} pressing the reset button when dc unplug for 30 seconds is not a scientific way because short DC charg wil stay in the device but nothing proof this is during 30 seconds...So you could hold this button almost for One hours when unplug this doesn't change any thing!...you could create a new hard reset way...30x3600x30...then you will be sure nvram erased! Wink

_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12814
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Donny wrote:
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
so "foolish" as no place here almost when i'm not wrong.


When two of the most knowledgeable and well informed contributors to this forum suggest that your viewpoint is incorrect, (and I am not including myself as one of those two) perhaps you should stop and listen to everyone.

this is not democratie, this is call Autocratie when two person think they have the right way of thinking!
I could listen to most people that you could imagine. I think you could only listen to your voice, and this is bothering you that someone do not agree with your mind! so this very far from democratic way, because you just claim people wich do not agree with you is foolish.
Quote:

Democracy also includes freedom of speech. And your post was foolish because 1. it was bad advice, and 2. it could not even possibly work. = foolish.

what are you talking about, you who just could not accept there could be a different advice than yours????
What i've noticed with Nvram was clear enough! you don't understand the diference between seting a variable value and destroy a value to re create it and give it a new value?
What is foolish in this??? I'm sory but if you think answering post with "Do hard reset" for 4900 Post could make a network guru...you are foolish in this case!

Networking is not a farmer job! :)

you have to be fine mind, and i think this the point you are missing!

System which work perfet for almost 30 years(computing systems) do not have to be broken because you 've decide it!
So i guess reset button has a clear enough function since almost this time.

Restore is different than rebuilt, and some time you don't need to rebuilt a device to make it work back, and this is all i tryed to say when you said i'm foolish.

When Frater talk about parotting (i agree wit him{*}) you did not says he is foolish, when something is evident, why would you always go against if it is Yzy-Oui-Fi sign?

So maybe i'm foolish , who knows, readers will make there own advice what ever you claim about me! :)

Open your mind and try to think by your self without following blindly the TFM could be something good for your mind Donny....Be pragmatic(each issue has one way to be solv....there is no swiss knife for all issues), and stop judging people who don't think the same way as yours. I respect you as human been, but i did not agree with your mind...Did it make Me Foolish? are You God? guess no ;)

{*} pressing the reset button when dc unplug for 30 seconds is not a scientific way because short DC charg wil stay in the device but nothing proof this is during 30 seconds...So you could hold this button almost for One hours when unplug this doesn't change any thing!...you could create a new hard reset way...30x3600x30...then you will be sure nvram erased! Wink


yzy-oui-fi wrote:
barryware wrote:


Why are you spewing your reset philosophy on the end of a 6 month old thread? Have you not voiced your opinion enough elsewhere?

stfu already

have a great day


Sorry i just try to find the right place to give my point of view about this point, because i think it's crazy to act as a Farmer when we are talking about fine networking system. So now i gave my point of view the right place and will not continue talking about this...every body knows it now Wink


you are still spewing and making a fool of yourself.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

you are still spewing and making a fool of yourself.


this is your point of view. maybe you re right but as you could see i'm not alone in this case. :)

anyway i stop with this subject, i didn't change my mind, and i guess other don't want too.

_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone


Last edited by yzy-oui-fi on Sat Jun 26, 2010 20:37; edited 1 time in total
modervador
DD-WRT User


Joined: 07 Sep 2009
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
as you could see i'm alone in this case.

You are not alone. I am drinking too.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wink
_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
soundmanbrad
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 18:09    Post subject: No client bridge on 24 sp1? Reply with quote
In the threads I've noticed that it's said over and over that client bridge mode won't work and should not be set on firmware v24 sp1. Why is that? I would like to know since I have gotten it to work perfectly fine on my ASUS WL-520GC.
Thanks.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 10908
Location: Wherever the wind blows- North America

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 18:31    Post subject: Re: No client bridge on 24 sp1? Reply with quote
soundmanbrad wrote:
In the threads I've noticed that it's said over and over that client bridge mode won't work and should not be set on firmware v24 sp1. Why is that? I would like to know since I have gotten it to work perfectly fine on my ASUS WL-520GC.
Thanks.


Well...it can work...I'd gotten it to work on the old SP1 also...but SP1 has so many other issue it isn't worth keeping it on the unit when a better build is available.

SP1 is also know to work for a few months....then all of a sudden....take a dump on you.

We do a lot of testing of the BETA FW's and we post our most recent recommended builds in this thread

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

the 13525 builds are still the most stable and proven by the community in general (as of this date)....I'm not saying it is without all flaws...but it is better then older and some newer builds.

There are many builds after this recommended...but as we find issue that are unresolved...we don't recommend them until the worst of these problems are fixed and proven for a period of time before the recommended build is updated to a newer build.

redhawk

_________________
I currently test dd-wrt on Asus, Buffalo, Linksys, and Netgear. Too many to list.

Looking for more test units (newer models) for the project...got a brick?...PM me to make a donation. (USA) A donation is not a debricking service....it is a way to "Give back" to the dd-wrt project.

I do NOT provide personal assistance through chat or phone....so please don't ask.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2826
Location: France

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
One interesting thing could be to show (or to define) the kind of test that are made on beta firmware. There is so much different kind of network that use dd-wrt device, that it will be helpfull. I mean, some use it as home routers with one our two clients, some use it for gamebox, some us it for adhoc comunity network, and some like me use it for long range link.

So if some test template are define this will be easier do give an evaluation, and sure this could help devs.

Of course you could place report here in order to help user to choice the best firmware to their use.

nota:

I really would like to know what kind of issue happened after one month with sp1, because i have a Wlan still running it without issues...Since 2008 (this is rebuilt firmware that include autoap and falesafe mode to restore connection after mountain storm, but nothing else). I also would like to try new release on it but it is a production network and i do not want to do the same mistakes idone when V24 RC released (I updated FW as soon they where released and some time this was horrible...Smile )

_________________
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum