The Peacock Thread: Part II (The rest of the story)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
The reason might not be because 30 is needed BUT BECAUSE IT IS SIMPLE FOR NOVICES AND WORKS!!!!

OMG. I can't believe that people are debating whether the 30 seconds is needed or not. That is TOTALLY missing the point of this thread. The issue is not whether it is NEEDED. I merely was pointing out procedures in ONE post that could be used for a multitude of common problems.

The 30-30-30 process does WORK. If that is the case, it doesn't matter if all 30 are NEEDED. I do not know, or CARE if all 30 seconds are needed. This was a process for people to follow that works. It was not a thread to discuss the electrical engineering requirements of capacitors.

Instead of debating this pointless issue, go down and answer a thread that no one has responded to. THAT would be much more useful.
Sponsor
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
So now it's pointless to question a pointless procedure...???
Next thing you're gonna tell me someone created the universe in 7 days...

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Instead of debating this pointless issue, go down and answer a thread that no one has responded to. THAT would be much more useful.

I have answered my share of questions. Before you make such statements you should check my posts.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is pointless to continue this discussion. Getting pretty close to a trolls den. You made your point. I get it. No one has proved the middle 30 seconds to you. It might not be necessary. But it is simple and it works. Newbies are less likely to screw it up. I will continue to recommend it. You can disagree. But NO one is saying it is WRONG to do it and that harm will result from it.

I have seen your posts and respect your knowledge. You know far more than I. Most of my posts have been dealing with simple questions, like people who didn't reset their Nvram because they didn't do ANY reset process.

Last edited by Murrkf on Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:30; edited 1 time in total
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to OpenWRT website, the bootloader can respond to the reset button. I always figured that was the reason for keeping the reset button depressed while the unit was powered off.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
According to OpenWRT website, the bootloader can respond to the reset button. I always figured that was the reason for keeping the reset button depressed while the unit was powered off.

The bootloader also listens to the reset button and my router will go into a sort of recovery state.
About "what's easy": I'm glad I can stop pressing this button for a while and I always take this time to position myself to push the power plug into the router whilst pressing the reset button.

soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I read that ASUS routers can have a tricky time with 30/30/30 reset, but I don't own one myself.

On all of my routers I can just erase nvram from telnet, but I don't think that is as safe as recommending a 30/30/30 reset.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater wrote:

I'm glad I can stop pressing this button for a while and I always take this time to position myself to push the power plug into the router whilst pressing the reset button.

That is likely good advice. I had already changed my opening thread to deal with the particularity of Asus routers and the 30-30-30 reset. If you can elaborate on the process for Asus routers, I will edit my first post to include it.

Then I will likely start a new thread with the same information in the original posts, as this one has gone off the rails for two pages.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peacock escaped...
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Peacock escaped...

Last year I tried to catch on with a friend of mine and that's not an easy thing to do, I can tell you.

soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I lived in the boonies, my neighbor had a peacock. Always screaming loudly..
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darn peacock made it to page 2 again. Noisy and quick they is!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peacock pen shouldn't be made of bricks! If you found this post useful, bump it!
tcdev
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49    Post subject: <BUMP> Reply with quote
For the record, I was having problems with WRT54G v2.0 http downloads, YouTube videos etc stalling on V24-9517-VINT_STD and V24-10431-VINT_STD. So much so that the internet was almost unusable.

Then I tried V24-10550-VINT_STD and it would appear to solve my problem.
toesonnose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great info Murrkf, I had a big problem with the 30/30/30 reset in my wrt54g v8.1 . Maybe because I did it at the wrong time. I did however find some useful Unbrick material Here
It worked for me even after my router was TRULY bricked. By truly I mean I was completely unpingable, I tried every IP, hard reset after hard reset, cmd prompt arp -a came back with nothing. I had no blinking lights, I did everything apart from taking the cover off, and the info unbricked this router. I should have followed the hard reset rule from the beginning. the second time, though, worked like a Clydesdale.
-toes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: