The Peacock Thread: Part II (The rest of the story)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
for the guru's that are questioning what is really needed or the time spent doing things, STOP it. if you don't need to do something to solve a problem on your router, then don't do it. but please stop nit-picking the details when the details of these instructions WILL most likely take care of all the problems the less skillful users are stumbling across. This thread was a good idea, it gave reasons why things should be done, it cleared up some small little details that were going unexplained. I like to know WHY I should do something, not just the steps with out knowing why. What I see is a guru nit-picking what newbies need to do to fix or solve a problem, but they don't really offer a clear a-z quick fix guide them self. What is obvious to you may not be so obvious to the newbie......

Murrkf.... you did good ! ignore them.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for my absence recently...I am on a job that isn't going well and putting in 12-14 hour days.

Anyway...the middle 30 seconds (reset with power disconnected) is so any residual voltage in the unit (capacitance) is discharged....no static charges remain....that's the point of the middle 30 seconds.

And NO....I won't argue this point....it is just a lousy 30 seconds of additional time...and it has been working for me for years....nuff-said.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Baby needs a bump! Laughing
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Murrkf.....so where did this name "Peacock" come from? Why not a use majestic bird....like say a Red Tailed Hawk? Laughing

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:43    Post subject: Re: The Peacock Thread: If dd-wrt isn't working, go here fi Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
I called this the peacock thread so it can be searched for easily.

You know, I thought of calling it the Redhawk thread. REALLY, I did. But do you KNOW how many threads would come up if someone does a search for "Redhawk" instead of Peacock. Hmmmm. Looks like about 4700+ and counting!!! Shocked Very Happy

If you can use your powers and get it stickied, I would have no need of the peacock, and would certainly rename it appropriately. I have noted that there seems to be a lot less people with a "failing to do a hard reset" problem lately.....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 23:17    Post subject: Re: The Peacock Thread: If dd-wrt isn't working, go here fi Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Murrkf wrote:
I called this the peacock thread so it can be searched for easily.

You know, I thought of calling it the Redhawk thread. REALLY, I did. But do you KNOW how many threads would come up if someone does a search for "Redhawk" instead of Peacock. Hmmmm. Looks like about 4700+ and counting!!! Shocked Very Happy

If you can use your powers and get it stickied, I would have no need of the peacock, and would certainly rename it appropriately. I have noted that there seems to be a lot less people with a "failing to do a hard reset" problem lately.....

So...all the efforts of the majestic Redhawk...have been reduced to the lowly show bird "Peacock"...wow that's hitting pretty low Laughing

Anyway, nice job with this...I tried to get a 30/30/30 - hard reset thread set as a sticky about a year or so ago...it wasn't deemed worthy then....I doubt it will be now...but if, like you said, someone does search for "redhawk"...it will be about 3000 posts/threads dealing with 30/30/30 resets not being done.

Eventually, I'll die off Shocked ...and someone else will beat on the newbies....just the way I was passed the baton from several others (that are still missed in this forum (Anectine17 and GeeTek....just to name two)

All kidding aside....I like this thread...it does state simply what I have been trying to say in the vast majority of my posts.

So folks....30/30/30 is important BEFORE and AFTER a flash....it keeps you from chasing "phantom" problems....if you haven't done this...do it before you post your questions....PLEASE!

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:17    Post subject: Re: The Peacock Thread: If dd-wrt isn't working, go here fi Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

So...all the efforts of the majestic Redhawk...have been reduced to the lowly show bird "Peacock"

"It has beautiful plumage!!"

Couldn't get THIS stickied??? Do you SEE some of the old crap they have stickied. Evil or Very Mad Do we REALLY need a thread on "VDSL connect with G54 and G125 using VLAN/7 tagging" and "Debricking the WL500g"???
Rolling Eyes Wink

xpgamer1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
flypaper wrote:
cyberde wrote:
Maybe this thread should be made sticky and there must be some way to inform the users that there is indeed a wiki.
That seems to be the biggest problem, people don't know there is one.

Just what we need, the 35th thread to be stuck. Who is a mod around here? Can the sticky threads be cleaned up? Do we REALLY need half of the front page taken up with them?

haha, if thats what it takes i guess its needed? i've refered to the stickies on several occasions, and i really do hate the wiki - i find it hard to find things i want on there, very hard actually.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree about the Wiki. I tried a search on the word LAN, and got no results. Perhaps I am not doing it properly.

Thanks for the bump.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darn bird almost made it to the third page.
Evil or Very Mad

Glorified chicken.

johj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!
swker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
buuump
5 ACES
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not being a smart a** here, after that very informative debate, does the "mtd erase nvram; reboot" command accomplish the same results as the 30-30-30? Just wondering this because I do use the command instead of the actual hard reset before and after an upgrade. Of the two, is one more realiable than the other, or is it just a personal choice?
Blackraven
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's a personal choice, I also use the mtd erase nvram command.
I don't even touch my router and flash it wirelessly :twisted:

redhawk0 wrote:
@Murrkf.....so where did this name "Peacock" come from? Why not a use majestic bird....like say a Red Tailed Hawk? Laughing
redhawk

Why not a beautiful black raven Laughing

retired:
WRT54GL v1.1 DD-WRT v24-SP2 vpn - build 10550
WRT610N v1 DD-WRT v24-preSP2 - build 14929 mega
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
5 ACES wrote:
Not being a smart a** here, after that very informative debate, does the "mtd erase nvram; reboot" command accomplish the same results as the 30-30-30? Just wondering this because I do use the command instead of the actual hard reset before and after an upgrade. Of the two, is one more realiable than the other, or is it just a personal choice?

Its basically the same as 30/0/30 (missing the middle 30 with router unplugged) Many will say it isn't necessary...I do and do it out of habit. Its been working for me...so I stick with it.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: