need help cannot get good 802.11n throughput

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:04    Post subject: need help cannot get good 802.11n throughput Reply with quote
ok here is the deal.. i have a buffalo whr54hp that i have a big external antenna on.. and i can get sustained throughput of a 200meg avi. at aroued 2000 -2200 k/sec. .or 16-20 megabit..
same if i am in the office or downstairs 3 walls and 1 floor away..

the plan was to upgrade to 802.11n to get better perf. i picked up a cheap netgear 834b v2 for 25.00 shipped and upgraded to svn 10509

throughput in the room right next to the router is only at best 2700-3000 k/sec even if i set it to n only with a dell 1505 wireless card..

hardly worth buy the external antennas and installing them that i planned.. thorughput in the office on my wrt300n with same firmware is about the same..

anyone have any suggestions..
maybe a 5ghz router.. with 802.11n but i need one that i can replace the antennas on.. becuase otherwise i get shit for signal in my bedroom...

the netgear was nice because if you open it up the antennas have .fl connectors and i got a couple of .fl to n female adapters and drilled out 3 holes in the case in preparation for putting large 12dbi omni antennas on..

thanks
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you talking about internet access? What is your ISP connection speed? N won't increase that speed. N is for inter computer transfers.

How are you measuring your transfer speed?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is pretty clear i am ftp'ing an already compressed avi file from one of my local servers .. no i am not talking about speed across the internet local speed inside my house..
doraemon6688
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgrade through the DD-WRT web gui ... to the latest stable firmware:

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool mini

Download the mini generic version.

I am running 2 WNR834Bv2's and get about 5MB/s transfer over the wireless, upstairs to downstairs. The main router can be in Mixed Mode, and the Client Bridge one, set it to N-Only.

This was a double performance difference over when it was in G-Only mode using a Buffalo as the main router where I get only about 2MB/s transfer speed.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
doraemon6688 wrote:
Upgrade through the DD-WRT web gui ... to the latest stable firmware:

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool mini

That would be a downgrade, from svn 10509.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using the WRT300N with V24-SP1 (stable). Under best ideal condition, I'm also pushing at 40mbps only. I can't go higher than that.

I failed to test the original firmware speed before flashing it with DD-WRT. From the not to flattering reviews online with this unit, perhaps its a hardware limitation. But I'm not sure if DD-WRT is limiting the speed. Any other user who can share their 802.11n speeds would be appreciated.
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do believe that at 130mbps connection speed (reported in Windows) the actual transfer rate would top at at about 50mbps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
VERY latest build is supposed to remove the 130mbps restriction. SVN 10654?
RobbieCrash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using that firmware version I still top out at 130Mbps.

Trying to set the MIMO speed to 15-270Mbps ***edit: any fixed speed*** always fails, always resets to Auto.

Using WRT310N
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
RobbieCrash wrote:

Trying to set the MIMO speed to 15-270Mbps ***edit: any fixed speed*** always fails, always resets to Auto.

Using WRT310N

Nice, so you'll get a max 130Mbps throughput on the 310N? I guess 300N is kinda sub-optimal with 40Mbps max.
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't worry, no single-band Wireless-N is faster than fastethernet. So don't expect the listed speed to be actual throughput.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT300N and also cannot get 270MBPS/sec to work. That is really frustrating to be limited to 130MPS.

Is this confirmed as being fixed in any of the new builds?
RobbieCrash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuque99 wrote:
RobbieCrash wrote:

Using WRT310N

Nice, so you'll get a max 130Mbps throughput on the 310N? I guess 300N is kinda sub-optimal with 40Mbps max.

130Mbps reported speed. Actual throughput is topping out at between 1 and 3 MB/sec, depending on weather/luck/time of day/how much coffee I've had to drink/what's on TV at my parents house/who knows what.

For a day or so I was getting ~7MB again, but nothing changed and then the speed dropped down to ~2.5MB/sec.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stabilize the higher throughput?
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
RobbieCrash wrote:
phuque99 wrote:
RobbieCrash wrote:

Using WRT310N

130Mbps reported speed. Actual throughput is topping out at between 1 and 3 MB/sec, depending on weather/luck/time of day/how much coffee I've had to drink/what's on TV at my parents house/who knows what.

For a day or so I was getting ~7MB again, but nothing changed and then the speed dropped down to ~2.5MB/sec.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stabilize the higher throughput?

With some channel tweaking, I'm able to get consitent 60mbps downstream and 75mbps upstream, with v24 SP1.
RobbieCrash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you mean by Channel tweaking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: