support for netgear wnr2000 v1?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
bail_w
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, i wonder if this will ever be supported...
Sponsor
Miahotrod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 22:48    Post subject: I just got a WNR2000v1 Reply with quote
I just got a WRN2000v1 today form compusa(tigerdirect)
I am hoping for a version for it too. I was wondering if all the WNR2000 routers compusa(tigerdirect) has are the V1 versions? or is it luck of the draw!
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
i too seem to have ended up with a WNR200V1
and there seems to still be no news Sad

Now looking around its started to have the same hardware as D-LINK DIR-615 revC1
Which NOW has dd-wrt avaliable, so would using that firmware, and the workaround to getting past the U-Boot checking work ???

can the donated router be used to check this ?
or should i take one for the eam and give it a go ??

Cheers for any help/news Mick ...
power78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:30    Post subject: Re: I just got a WNR2000v1 Reply with quote
Miahotrod wrote:
I just got a WRN2000v1 today form compusa(tigerdirect)
I am hoping for a version for it too. I was wondering if all the WNR2000 routers compusa(tigerdirect) has are the V1 versions? or is it luck of the draw!

Under "Router Status" on the admin page check your firmware version. If it starts with 1.x, you have version 1 which is not supported. I have been waiting for almost a year now for support but it looks like it won't be coming unfortunately. Time to buy a supported cheaper router!
gadget78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
how much of a risk is just usund the 615 revCI be on the wnr2000v1
and how diferent/the same are they ?

and whats the dif between the wnr1000, and the wnr2000v1 ?
mbmalone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have a WNR2000v1 with the Atheros 9130@400 and was wondering if anyone had finally gotten froggy with it yet?

Twisted Evil Shocked Twisted Evil
macaws
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, picked one up at the thrift store today ($4 Very Happy)

Too bad I don't have an android, I would have gone directly to dd-wrt.com Razz
Jozer99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT is not ported to it yet, despite the appropriate people having all the needed preparatory material. The chipset itself is not particularly unique and other similar hardware is supported by DD-WRT. Sash has been given FCC photographs and specifications, detailed pictures, and even a donated sample unit. All this occurred over a year ago, and still no support. I doubt it will happen. They seem too busy supporting the fancy new $300 routers to support an older, cheap N router without any particularly distinguishing characteristics. Our chief hope is that because the WNR2000 v3 (which is still in production and sold at stores) is very similar to the V1, perhaps a port for the newer router will go a long way towards helping owners of the old one.

Netgears never seem to perform particularly well even if they do get a DD-WRT port, so probably the best solution is to go buy a used Linksys or new Buffalo with much better support.

Sash if you are still out there, please finish the port! I will award you 3 internets (the fast asian ones, not the crappy american ones) if you do.
neversaynever
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also waiting for this.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jozer99 wrote:
DD-WRT is not ported to it yet, despite the appropriate people having all the needed preparatory material. The chipset itself is not particularly unique and other similar hardware is supported by DD-WRT. Sash has been given FCC photographs and specifications, detailed pictures, and even a donated sample unit. All this occurred over a year ago, and still no support. I doubt it will happen. They seem too busy supporting the fancy new $300 routers to support an older, cheap N router without any particularly distinguishing characteristics. Our chief hope is that because the WNR2000 v3 (which is still in production and sold at stores) is very similar to the V1, perhaps a port for the newer router will go a long way towards helping owners of the old one.

Wow, here we have a user who knows why there hasn't been a port of dd-wrt to WNR2000v1.. NOT!

Go back in the thread and read H3llh0und's posts and you may understand what the implications are.
Replacing the boot loader is not for the average dd-wrt noob user, he would likely brick his router by doing that.
Replacing the boot loader also means that stock firmware will not work on the router any more unless you once again replace the boot loader with the original one.
dd-wrt is intended to be easy to flash so a dd-wrt build requires that the router can be flashed via the web gui and that is not possible with the WNR2000 v1.

The more seasoned user has the choice of loading OpenWRT after having done a boot loader replacement.

I can not see that there will ever be a dd-wrt build for this router so I will move it over to the Incompatible Devices List tomorrow, having it as WIP in the Supported Devices List is just misleading.
radarengineer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Replacing the boot loader also means that stock firmware will not work on the router any more unless you once again replace the boot loader with the original one.

This is not true. I have a wnr2000v1 with a modified uBoot. It is currently running the stock netgear firmware. I have flashed back and forth between the stock firmware and the openwrt firmware several times. As for the average user bricking their router... I have also had to fix mine with a serial console a few times.

EDIT: fixed typo (factory->openwrt)

Last edited by radarengineer on Wed Aug 24, 2011 23:43; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
radarengineer wrote:
Quote:

This is not true. I have a wnr2000v1 with a modified uBoot. It is currently running the stock netgear firmware. I have flashed back and forth between the stock firmware and the factory firmware several times. As for the average user bricking their router... I have also had to fix mine with a serial console a few times.

I guees you mean that you are switching between stock and OpenWRT..

OpenWRT is not dd-wrt and they can use a flash partition layout that is compatible with stock firmware, dd-wrt has a different layout.

OpenWRT also keeps the original language partitions which maks it easier to switch back and forth, but thereby wasting some flash space.
The space available for kernel + filesystem is then ~ 3.4 MB and I don't believe Brainslayer is willing to cut down more on dd-wrt standard features in order to fit a dd-wrt build into that when a "normal" 4MB Atheros build takes ~ 3.7 MB and they are all needed for dd-wrt.

OpenWRT is perfect for this router because you can choose which features you want to remove in order to get the firmware to fit in the flash.

Finally, that you have been able to fix yours with a serial console doesn't mean that the average dd-wrt user can do that and you can't fix the outcome of a typo in the mtd write cmd for replacing u-boot, no matter how fluent you are in serial debricking..
radarengineer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oops! I did mean factory and OpenWRT.

I didn't catch that you would need *another* new boot loader for dd-wrt, I though you meant the OpenWRT compatible modifed bootloader.

This router works great with OpenWRT but you are right - the average user would brick the darn thing in about 4 min.

You are also right about the size issue. I have to build my own OpenWRT from source to get it to fit.

There is certainly more to the missing support than the dd-wrt team just being to interested in newer routers, this router presents some specific difficulties.
mektarus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just bought a refurb WNR2000 and got a v1 (was supposed to be a v3 Mad ). BrainSlayer has developed a test version of dd-wrt for the v3 here. I was wondering if anyone knew if this might work on the v1 since they are both Atheros based? Thanks.
Simba7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I bumped into my WNR2000v1 in my stuff bin and wanted to see what it could do since there's progress on the uboot loader.

LOM wrote:
I don't believe Brainslayer is willing to cut down more on dd-wrt standard features in order to fit a dd-wrt build into that when a "normal" 4MB Atheros build takes ~ 3.7 MB and they are all needed for dd-wrt.

Could Brainslayer build a mini?
LOM wrote:
Finally, that you have been able to fix yours with a serial console doesn't mean that the average dd-wrt user can do that and you can't fix the outcome of a typo in the mtd write cmd for replacing u-boot, no matter how fluent you are in serial debricking..

Then warn them that this is for advanced users only. If you don't double-check what you enter and make sure you do what the instructions say, you're SOL.

Heck, how many bricked routers are out there due to people not following instructions? Even the normal builds are not immune from idiots.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: