Micro-plus with ssh here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
tdbone1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i also have the wrt54g v8
i already did the cfe to 128K

anyhow i am having terrible problems getting quite a few of the micro-plus ssh builds to work correctly

after the 30-30-30`s i then set my user:pass and change all my settings and then hit apply and after router reboots i can never seem to get back in with web ui, telnet or ssh

i have 4 wired computers hooked to it and 2 cell phones
i use:
dhcp (10) devices
wpa2-aes
mac filter enable (only macs i enter can get on)
qos enabled
bandwith enabled
telnet enabled
syslogd enabled
ssh enabled

so with that info what would be the best "micro-plus" AND "micro-plus ssh" builds for me to use

i would like ssh but i would use micro-plus (if it meants alot more stable router)

please let me know
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can't be that hard to not change all your settings at the same time, can it?
Do them one by one with a reboot in between so you know which one is the reason for your problem.

You shouldn't even use QOS on a router with so little ram and you should also stop syslogd which uses quite some memory for storing the log.
It is one of the weakest Linksys routers from that era and it can't efficiently serve more than 2-3 users.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
It can't be that hard to not change all your settings at the same time, can it?
Do them one by one with a reboot in between so you know which one is the reason for your problem.

You shouldn't even use QOS on a router with so little ram and you should also stop syslogd which uses quite some memory for storing the log.
It is one of the weakest Linksys routers from that era and it can't efficiently serve more than 2-3 users.

correct and i did this and i believe the main culprit is syslogd and my ram or cpu usage.

im not sure what i am going to do...i mean i could easily get a "better" router but where is the fun in that?

i wish that someone would make a website where we could pick and choose our features and select our router and the website would build that firmware for us.

why hasnt anyone done this?
tdbone1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
im not sure if i mentioned this
wrt54g v8 with "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro - build 14929"
ok i am at least a little stable with this firmware BUT i have very limited shell commands and no ssh (i know it is supposed to be that way)

if i want to use a "micro-plus" or "micro-plus ssh" which one would be the most closest to "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro - build 14929"

i would pretty much like to use the same thing (exactly) but with extended busybox at least and maybe ssh
i know i lose chill spot.
rico99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:41    Post subject: Serial ports on WRT54g v5 using kernel module Reply with quote
[I'm posting to this thread since there's not a lot of other threads on ddwrt.*_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.]

In case this is useful to others, I wanted to share my solution for getting serial ports to work on a WRT54g v5 using a loadable kernel module.

How did this come about? Some time back I followed instructions here to load compressed CFE flash, and upgraded my router to micro-plus_ssh. As others have posted in this thread, the 'ssh' service is sadly kind of flaky. But 'telnet' and other features seem to work quite well. However I was disappointed this summer when I tried to cable up the serial ports and discovered that serial port support was missing from the build. So I decided to see if I could do something about that.

I started with dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh and the firmware modification kit and the 2.4.37.7 kernel source. I started out by compiling drivers/char/serial.c to build as a loadable module. And then after some hacking was able to initialize the ports and set up devices using devfs. The resulting loadable object is 40K.

Of course, what good is a serial port without a communications program? The problem is that 'cu' or 'tip' are rather big. Fortunately I came across com.c from http://brokestream.com/tinyserial.html. The binary is less than 8K.

I'm posting a tar file which contains the loadable kernel module, source code, and kernel config.

Quick start:

root@DD-WRT:~# scp user@192.168.1.7/serial.o .
[...]
root@DD-WRT:~# insmod serial.o
root@DD-WRT:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
serial 40992 0 (unused)
switch-robo 5036 0 (unused)
switch-core 5984 0 [switch-robo]

If you check the kernel logs via /proc/kmsg, you should see:

root@DD-WRT:~# cat /proc/kmsg
<6>Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-0Cool with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ enabled
<6>ttyS00 at 0xb8000300 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
<6>ttyS01 at 0xb8000400 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

[Sorry, I didn't bother updating the version string.]

How to connect using com:

root@DD-WRT:~# scp user@192.168.1.7/com .
[...]
root@DD-WRT:~# com /dev/ttyS0 38400
setting speed 38400
C-a exit, C-x modem lines status
[STATUS]: RTS CTS DSR DCD DTR

Contents of the tar file:

serial.o : Loadable serial module for enabling serial ports.
serial.c : Modified version of drivers/char/serial.c.
serial-patch : Patch file showing diffs.
com : Binary version of com.
com.c : From http://brokestream.com/tinyserial.html.
com-Makefile : Makefile for building 'com'.
kernel-.config : Kernel configuration file for 2.4.37.7 for building serial kernel module.

I'm also posting a complete DDWRT build.

Note that to save space I removed some pptp features that I don't ordinarily use. If this presents a problem for you, please consider building your own custom image. Rough steps as follows:

1. Extract firmware from dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin.
2. Copy com-2009-03-05/com into dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh/rootfs/sbin.
3. Copy linux-2.4.37.7/drivers/char/serial.o into dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh/rootfs/lib/modules/2.4.37.
4. Re-package.

Commands would be something like:

extract_firmware.sh dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh
cp com-2009-03-05/com into dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh/rootfs/sbin
cp linux-2.4.37.7/drivers/char/serial.o into dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh/rootfs/lib/modules/2.4.37
build_firmware.sh dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh tmp
cp -p tmp/custom_image-wrt54g.bin dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh_serial.bin

Additional Notes:
=================
- My rc_startup contains the following line to cause the serial ports to be allocated automatically on boot:
insmod serial

- Commands for building the modified serial.o kernel module:
tar xvfj linux-2.4.37.7.tar.bz2
patch -p0 < ./serial-patch
cp ./kernel-.config linux-2.4.37.7/.config
cd linux-2.4.37.7
make oldconfig ; make modules

- md5sum for binary files:
0ec4c8655b9693c3782073a2872414e6 serial.o
01c26ca897c91a2dc7ccc6af664c1a7c com

- I haven't spent time to try to redirect console output to /dev/ttyS0.

- For some reason 115200 bps isn't working, but other baud rates seem reliable. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the hardware, or a problem in the driver.

Thanks to Tytso for the original serial driver. And thanks to the DDWRT developers for ddwrt micro builds!

Eric
Palo Alto, CA

dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh_serial.bin
 Description:
Complete ddwrt build with hacked serial port.

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh_serial.bin
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Downloaded:  1116 Time(s)

serial.tar.gz
 Description:
Serial port loadable module and source code.

Download
 Filename:  serial.tar.gz
 Filesize:  71.01 KB
 Downloaded:  948 Time(s)

gf1966
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi I have followed all instructions and am a little confused about what the recommended image is to install on a WRT54G v5

I just compressed the CFE and went straight to dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin

This seems to have high CPU when using the web gui but othwerwise seems ok.

Can someone recommend a more stable image?

The router database recommends 13064
The wiki (kind of) refers to 12548
The forum recommends 14929
jsnepo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the recommended build for micro-plus? There is 14929 micro-plus. The closest to a recommended build from the peacock thread with micro-plus is 12548 but it is having problems with QoS which was not present at all in 14929.
ormaaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsnepo wrote:
What is the recommended build for micro-plus? There is 14929 micro-plus. The closest to a recommended build from the peacock thread with micro-plus is 12548 but it is having problems with QoS which was not present at all in 14929.

Currently, my guess would be 15230, based on the recommended firmware announcement.

redhawk0 wrote:
or if you need Eko VINT or other special Eko builds:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn15230/

I'd say this qualifies as "other special build".

My wrt54G-v8.0 can barely run dropbear. Disabling the ttraff daemon fit it in memory. Otherwise no issues in the last day or so.
xjcrawler01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:57    Post subject: New life for old hardware - D5F7230-V3000 Reply with quote
Hate to bring a dead Post back up but...

im working on connecting a D5F7230-V3000 to an Arduino(Software Serial).

The firmware posted installs and i have access to ssh ( thank you so much for getting me this far ) however i am now stuck on the install of serial.o and other files.

edit..
this is all you have to do

install serial.o as posted above

start-up script

Code:
 insmod serial

thats it im just an idiot

Ignore past here...

Is this something that i should compile before uploading firmware? ( my understanding is that it installs after).

if i install individual files and run

Code:
scp it to /tmp... and run the commands
     root@DD-WRT:~# insmod serial.o
     root@DD-WRT:~# lsmod

root@DD-WRT:~# cat /proc/kmsg

i get the same results as previously posted.

This is where i get lost.
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# scp user@192.168.1.3/com

returns
Code:
 cp: root@192.168.1.3/com: No such file or directory

Should i be uploading the .tar instead of individual files for the insmod?

Really what im confused about is your

Additional Notes:
=================
- My rc_startup contains the following line to cause the serial ports to be allocated automatically on boot:
insmod serial ...

Should i be extracting and running each boot?

Additional Info:
192.168.1.1 == router
192.168.1.3 == repeater bridge (should this matter)

serial.o, com, etc. installed at ~/tmp/

On boot when serial is connected to Arduino on the RxTx pins of 192.168.1.3 i get boot output

I know this is probably out of the scope of your project but any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited by xjcrawler01 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:13; edited 4 times in total
xjcrawler01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:04    Post subject: Ignore last post Reply with quote
So ended up getting it working

Code:
echo foo > /dev/ttyS1

missing char was the " > "

Confirmed working Belkin F5D7320-4 V3000

Just have to add headers to the J5 pins for /dev/ttyS1

email xjcralwer01{at}gmail.com for more info
wrt54gfanatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 15:56    Post subject: dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh_serial Reply with quote
Here is a modified dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh
with serial on /dev/tts/0 and /dev/tts/1.

I use this to pull variables from the serial port:
read i </dev/tts/0
echo $i

setserial_2.17-1_brcm-2.4.ipk was taken from openwrt, and seems to work at 115200.

The mini version (for WRT54G V1, V2, V3) includes libcrypto (openSSL), and msmtp email sending software

http://www.filedropper.com/dd-wrtv24-18946newdmicro-plussshserialopensslmsmtp

dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh_serial_openSSL_msmtp (another copy).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh_serial_openSSL_msmtp (another copy).zip
 Filesize:  5.9 MB
 Downloaded:  125 Time(s)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: