WRT54GS v6 won't revert?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be honest with you, I think you have a wee bit of a mess, and might have to jtag. This is not a huge issue...jtags are easy to make and use. So, since you will otherwise have to jtag anyway, unless someone can tell you that some procedure is definitely correct, try what you think is best. It might brick the router, but then you are just back to jtag again.

As long as you don't do something stupid, like pin shorting, your router will work fine again.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
neonknight77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey,
I don't want to be topic stealing,
but I tried the guide to revert back to Linksys firmware.
I TFTP'ed the .trx file, and when i go to 192.168.1.1 I come up with a blank page.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
neonknight77 wrote:

I don't want to be topic stealing,
but I tried the guide to revert back to Linksys firmware.

If you have the same router...gs v.6, then as indicated in this thread, you should see that it can't be done.

If you have a different router, or a different issue then you should start a different thread with far more detail of your router, what you did etc. Try clearing your browser cache.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
neonknight77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same exact router, WRT54GS v.6 So it's impossible to revert? How can I go back to DD-WRT? Is there any way I can contact you over an Instant Messaging program, sir?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read this thread. It is not possible to revert a GS v6. You might be able to turn it into a G. I don't use, (and actually really dislike) IM, sorry.

You should start a new thread, but I would look at the revert instructions at the vxkiller site first.

neonknight77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. Thanks.
1 last question:
I did the ./embed mac1 mac2 mac3 serial
then ./flash.sh

Now my telnet is like on "Writing from /tmp/part2.bin to mtd 1 ... [w]" its been there for about 15minutes, I can access 192.168.1.1 though and I get management mode. Should I just close the cmd telnet?
FaNIX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
neonknight77 wrote:
Ok. Thanks.
1 last question:
I did the ./embed mac1 mac2 mac3 serial
then ./flash.sh

Now my telnet is like on "Writing from /tmp/part2.bin to mtd 1 ... [w]" its been there for about 15minutes, I can access 192.168.1.1 though and I get management mode. Should I just close the cmd telnet?

Dude, don't hijack my thread ffs... But to answer your Q, you can close the cmd prompt. upload the original linksys router firmware now.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@fanix

What's the status on your problem. Did you get things running?

jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually (as I pointed out earlier), you can revert the WRT54GS v5 and v6. Follow the same instructions as for the 54G, but substitute the file I linked to.

And FaNIX (in case you haven't solved your problem yet), you'll need to follow the install instructions for the 54G, then follow the revert instructions, but use the file I posted instead of the openwrt revert one.

Se7en is Darker...
FaNIX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
Actually (as I pointed out earlier), you can revert the WRT54GS v5 and v6. Follow the same instructions as for the 54G, but substitute the file I linked to.

And FaNIX (in case you haven't solved your problem yet), you'll need to follow the install instructions for the 54G, then follow the revert instructions, but use the file I posted instead of the openwrt revert one.

Great, so I need to follow the install instructions for the G, will do that Smile Once I have dd-wrt running I will post the my steps to revert back to wrt54gs v6 just to confirm that it's correct.

Will keep you updated.
Regards
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
Follow the same instructions as for the 54G, but substitute the file I linked to.

Is that the famous missing GS revert file that is no longer on the bitcom webpage and everyone was looking for a while back????

jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
jmh9072 wrote:
Follow the same instructions as for the 54G, but substitute the file I linked to.

Is that the famous missing GS revert file that is no longer on the bitcom webpage and everyone was looking for a while back????

Not the same file, but it has the same purpose.

As I understand it, the original openwrt file had some bugs that Mr. Collake didn't have time to fix, so he just took it down. Later, he abandoned the project, and it was taken up by someone here in early 2007.

Se7en is Darker...
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it make sense to upload that file so that it will be here in case the link dies? I know that some people were really crying over that file not being available.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Would it make sense to upload that file so that it will be here in case the link dies? I know that some people were really crying over that file not being available.

It's on this site, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

It'll make it easier on those who find this thread in the future if nothing else. Very Happy

dd-wrt.v23_wrtgsV5V6-revert-MAC.bin
 Description:
Revert image for the Linksys WRT54GS v5 and v6.

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v23_wrtgsV5V6-revert-MAC.bin
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Downloaded:  981 Time(s)

Se7en is Darker...
FaNIX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:

Please confirm that this is the steps that I need to follow in order to upgrade the WRT54GS v6 (which is actually loaded with the WRT54Gv5 firmware) to dd-wrtv23. Please note that I'm flashing from a WRT54G firmware, hence the steps for G:

1. Inside Linksys Admin Page, flash with vxworks_prep_v03.zip

2. Create a vx_killer image (WRTG54 v5 or 6) with vximgtoolgui.exe using my mac address.

3. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and select the vx_killer image created with the tool above then upload firmware.
Press upload and wait for the success message.

4. Unplug the power cord of your router, then plug it back in. The power LED should now be blinking.

5. tftp the dd-wrt.v23_micro_generic file to the router. Wait until flashing is done then access 192.168.1.1

Thanks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: