Paid activation issue in Professional version

Xymox
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:42    Post subject: Paid activation issue in Professional version Reply with quote
I am keeping up with the SVN builds on my Ubiquiti Bullet 2. This has come to a halt because in the process of clearing NVram I also wipe activation info and have to activate again. No big deal until yesterday when I did 12031. When I went to activate I got the message "Error- too many hits on this MAC"..

No doubt because 4+ times a month I reactivate following a NVRam Clearing and update.

This alone was not a big deal, I filled out the contact me form and had a response from Markus Quint quite quickly. He took my MAC, login name for the shop and my activation key and was going to reset the counter. This never happened.

I was in a hurry as the access point was going to expire in 23 hours on the trial key. I use hotspot software in DD-WRT and cannot backup to the mfg supplied firmware. I support a small business and this access point is critical.

After Markus emailed me and I supplied my info I have not heard back. I have been forced to purchase another key to keep my access point working.

The other problem I have is I have no idea how to correctly update my firmware doing a full NVRam clearing and then reactivate my access point over and over without resulting in purchasing more keys as I go.

I have asked if I can reuse the activation key supplied and I do not have a answer.

Also I think that s 24 hour trial is a bit too short for the very reasons listed here. UNLESS issues can be resolved very quickly.

In fact I have no response to any of this at all.

I am unhappy that I have had to spend a additional amount on a license key and not had any response to my problem. Even a response like "we are sorry, we are working on it" would be a great thing.

I love dd-wrt, the project is awesome, the people are great so this has been kinda sucky for me.

I would like my counter reset and I would like a answer on how to proceed so I can update my firmware and still activate my device. I think I also deserve a refund for my second activation key.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try sending an email directly to NewMedia-NET GmbH

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/contact.html

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did that....

Im still waiting....

Shocked
lucboz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
A better way for activation will be:

A just installed dd-wrt x86 expires after 9 days...
It HAS WIRELSS in theese 9 days..
In this time you can buy a key or test around...

After configuring dd-wrt and having a working internet conencting.. you can enter the key which will be checked on dd-wrt's server... if accepted, your dd-wrt will be registerd, else it still expires..

Same way for supper channels...

Also there must be a change on the fact that hardware change makes your device unregistered again

Please try to make activation like this in the future..

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
From another thread...

redhawk0 wrote:
Xymox....sorry...I am new at being a moderator....I wiped out your post by accident....I hit the wrong icon....sorry.

My answer to your question about using your Paid Activation key with a Free dd-wrt build is as follows.....again...sorry for deleting your post....I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Here was your post:
Xymox wrote:
Doing the eko build for my paid pro Ubiquity Bullet I have a problem.

If I completely wipe the NVram I am forced to reactivate it. You only get so many activations before the activation center says "Error - too many hits on this MAC" and you can no longer activate it..

Im having trouble getting someone to reset the counter so I can activate again..

I cant do a 30/30/30 as it puts the Bullet into a factory restore condition that requires me to tftp firmware and wipes NVRam.

Does anyone know if I am ok doing the below on a Bullet:

Restore factory settings
reboot
update firmware
reboot

Or even a upgrade and "reset factory settings"

or god help me

"Don't reset"

???

U see I cant wipe my NVram and I need to find a way to keep up with the new releases.

Can I reuse the activation key I am given ?

Here was my answer:
redhawk0 wrote:
Why are you activating a paid verson when you have a free version loaded. You only need to activate a "Special" build that you obtain from the Customer Downloads & Updates Forum section.

You will not gain anything by wiping out the special build and reloading it with this build (you actually loose the ability to limit BW by MAC/IP with the free version)

redhawk
Xymox
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
welll..... hmmm..

I think the Bullet 2 HP requires a pro version. On my hardware paid pro is required. I must activate.

I normally am over zealous in making sure I start from a clean slate.. You guys have drilled into me the 30/30/30 procedure. I have also seen bad results and had to jtag after not heeding your advice on doing a 30/30/30..

So.. My Bullet 2 HP...

I have been doing the following.

I watch the Eko BS section for new builds here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

When a new one appears I download it for my make/nodel of device. The BH2.dd-wrt.bin file

To make sure I wipe this device I am kinda overzealous

1. Put previous DD-WRT version into fact defaults
2. Put bullet into firmware recovery mode
3. tftp the orginal factory firmware into it
4. do factory defaults in it, just to be sure

so I put it back to 100% Ubiquity firmware and defaults.

5. use the Ubiquity firmware to upload the newest DD-WRT into the bullet. This is the procedure recommended to do this..
6. reboot and defaults again
7. activate dd-wrt. Its required.
8. hand enter all the settings

I have not tried to tftp dd-wrt directly into the bullet from the Ubiquity firmware recovery state. This might work and save me steps.

The problem with this procedure is that it wipes the NV ram completly and requires reactivating it. You only get so many activations and then your locked out of using the activation center.

I have now paid retail for 2 licenses for the pro version.

In the past 2 days I have updated it twice by just uploading new firmware without even a reset of settings. Its working. But I know that not a good idea.

I donno..... im confuzed... im a noob too... I just wanna have the most current version. Actually I want to have some jffs space on it. Just like 500k. So i can run splashd better directly from it. So if I can get a different version into it that had some jffs space that would be great. Im only using it as a WAP. No need for almost everything in it.

I think I still want my $20 back to for the second license.. I think thats fair.

The email I have corresponded on this issue with was info@dd-wrt.com and this came from filling out the contact us form on the main site. I am no longer getting responses from Markus from the email address. He seemed very nice and was going to reset my counter, that never happened.

I think it would be good to have a forum section for shop issues.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deleted

Last edited by redhawk0 on Fri May 08, 2009 18:47; edited 1 time in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
the activation on the bullet cannot be cleared by erasing nvram. there is only one way. flashing back to ubnt firmware and upgrading to another ubnt firmware. this will overwrite the activation. another way is impossible and i have also never seen this on such devices (and we sold alot)

but in any way. we garant for all sold licenses even if there is really a firmware problem (which i dont believe in right now)

SO IN SUMMARY:

Never Flash back to UBNT firmware. this erases the activation. (not the flashing itself, but ubnt erases it)
just flash plain dd-wrt to it if you want to upgrade. this is possible with webif from ubnt and dd-wrt or with tftp. for flashing from webif with ubnt, use the tftp binary (firmware versions 3.xx or higher only)

if you flash with tftp dd-wrt, nothing will remain (except the configuration of dd-wrt which can be cleaned with reset button push if dd-wrt is already bootet up)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xymox wrote:

I normally am over zealous in making sure I start from a clean slate.. You guys have drilled into me the 30/30/30 procedure.

sorry...but bullshit for atheros devices. i never do this
Quote:

I have also seen bad results and had to jtag after not heeding your advice on doing a 30/30/30..

????
Quote:

To make sure I wipe this device I am kinda overzealous

why?
Quote:

2. Put bullet into firmware recovery mode
3. tftp the orginal factory firmware into it
4. do factory defaults in it, just to be sure
so I put it back to 100% Ubiquity firmware and defaults.

no sorry but this is mega bullshit! who told u this procedere for UPDATING DDWRT?! do u know why there is a webupgrade file?
Quote:

I think I still want my $20 back to for the second license.. I think thats fair.

sorry imho this behavior must be punished
Quote:

The email I have corresponded on this issue with was info@dd-wrt.com and this came from filling out the contact us form on the main site. I am no longer getting responses from Markus from the email address.

its clear...i wouldnt respont to this too....cause u havent mentioned correctly what u are doing....they would have known your fault in a second!

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry if I posted this in Generic and it needed to be in Ubiquity. I thought it was more of a activation issue then a hardware issue...

Thank you Brainslayer for taking time to respond to my post. I have a better understanding of my mistake now. I have been using DD-WRT for years now and really have enjoyed it. Thank you for making a great product !

Quote:
flashing back to ubnt firmware and upgrading to another ubnt firmware.

I only flashed back to ubnt's current firmware from their web site. I did not flash their firmware twice. I go from the older version of dd-wrt, back to ubnt, then web flash the newest DD-WRT. This wipes out activation data. Yes my mistake.

Quote:
but in any way. we garant for all sold licenses even if there is really a firmware problem (which i dont believe in right now)

:) I am not sure that my activation center account ever got reset. I never heard back from Markus.

Thank you for making clear how to upgrade a Ubiquity device. I should use the web interface.

I am sorry for trying so hard to erase NV ram. I have flashed many a Linksys device and I always try to fully erase each time.

Sash:

Wow that was pretty harsh... While I am pretty noob at this im not sure I deserved "punishment". There are far more noobie people then me..

Quote:
Xymox wrote:

I normally am over zealous in making sure I start from a clean slate.. You guys have drilled into me the 30/30/30 procedure.

Quote:
sorry...but bullshit for atheros devices. i never do this

I am used to less quality hardware and have always done 30/30/30's. For years in fact. I am more of a better safe then sorry kinda guy when it comes to erasing NVRam.

I should have explained when I said Jtag i meant older linksys stuff that I bricked years back for not doing a 30/30/30 and that required jtag to get it back. Not that I could jtag a Bullet :)

Quote:
Quote:

why?

If I am going to go back to ubnt firmware I thought it wise to set it back to defaults. More of a why not kinda thing.

Quote:
no sorry but this is mega bullshit! who told u this procedere for UPDATING DDWRT?! do u know why there is a webupgrade file?

Well again, I think my procedure worked TOO well it erased EVERYTHING in the Bullet !. Heheheh, you gotta give me credit for really erasing it ! I erased EVERYTHING including the activation ! hahaha.. Oops...

The only real problem with what I was doing was that it erased activation + you only get so many hits on a MAC in the activation center.

Quote:

Quote:
sorry imho this behavior must be punished

Wow... well thats pretty childish. Its also not very professional. I think I was trying to do the correct thing and was wiping NVram -completely-. I dont think this mistake deserves this kinda of "punsihment".

Quote:
Quote:

The email I have corresponded on this issue with was info@dd-wrt.com and this came from filling out the contact us form on the main site. I am no longer getting responses from Markus from the email address.

Quote:
its clear...i wouldnt respont to this too....cause u havent mentioned correctly what u are doing....they would have known your fault in a second!

I was VERY clear in email. Yes Markus did spot it right away. He also responded very quickly. It was very professional. He also told me to flash it differently. He said he was going to reset the count for me. I waited as long as I could ( 15 hours ) then I had to buy another license in order to keep the WAP working. He has never responded to my emails and I dont think it got reset. He also has not responded to 4 additional emails asking if things were fixed and asking for any help to make sure I did not have the same mistake again.

I also posted this thread, I PM'ed BS, I was trying to get my problem solved. I knew BS was busy tho, so thats ok.

I do not think my mistake deserves "punishment". I still think I deserve a refund. I also dont think its professional to say in the forum that "imho" i deserve punishment.

I have donated money, i have purchased a license at full retail. I think I deserve better treatment then to be "punished"

Last edited by Xymox on Sat May 09, 2009 0:48; edited 1 time in total
Xymox
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would actually like to donate the $23. So you guys just keep it. DD-WRT is worth every penny Very Happy
Xymox
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait a minute Sash...

YOU told me this procedure...

At the top of this sticky

Quote:
FLASH:
-install latest airos/ubnt firmware first
-reset to defaults
-flash to DD-WRT as mentioned in the dl folder for your device

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45474

So I was just following your procedure. Admitidly I was using it over and over tho Smile hehehe.... oops..
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
the question is: is it working now?!
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not sure if activation is working for my account, I would need to clear my activation and do it again to find out.

and I dont wanna do that ! hehehehe Laughing

Yes the firmware upgrade via the web interface seems to work fine.

Am I punished enough now ? Laughing
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes of cause Cool
&
RTFM/STFW
&

Navigation

Jump to: