The CATFISH thread - external antenna choice and use.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Put your antenna in the attic, and let the neighbours get a yagi. 200m...might be able to do it with less...putting it in the attic might be enough.

I can get a signal at 800m with line of sight and no interference with stock equipment. Heck you could run cable 200m.

Gain and coverage are opposites.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
strapabiro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
He can't.
This: http://www.pcgarage.ro/detalii-produs/61607/ plus the wrt54gl can be used together? Placed in the attic and a simple wifi card at the neighbour could comunicate? I'm not a wifi guru, i'd like range and simplicity for me and for him. Thanks.
axler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
here is something that might also be useful...if someone can anwser it Very Happy

say you want to connect over a longer distance and have decided on directional antenna. the problem is, when i open up my router (wnr834b) it has two antennas.

instead of which one should i use the directional antenna? do i need two directional antennas? can i disable one in some way? why are there two in the first place?

considering i want this router to work as a repeater, isn't it a bad idea to use a directional antenna? cause while the router will be able to connect to the AP, the wireless behind it will suck...

finally, would it be possible to use a directional instead of the first antenna, and use the other antenna separately to cover the rest of the place. or must the two antennas work on the same thing, meaning covering the place would require another router?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
strapabiro wrote:
He can't.
This: http://www.pcgarage.ro/detalii-produs/61607/ plus the wrt54gl can be used together? Placed in the attic and a simple wifi card at the neighbour could comunicate? I'm not a wifi guru, i'd like range and simplicity for me and for him. Thanks.

I don't have much faith in 5dbi onmis. Stock should be about 3, so not much gain. You can hook any antenna to the GL. Just need the right pigtail. I think there was an omni recommendation on this thread, but the problem you have is that you are trying to get gain in two directions. Gain = directional. You are right that you likely want an omni, but I can't recommend one as I deal more with distance.

A window that faces his house might work better than an attic. Take a look at cantennas too, or a wokfi.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
axler wrote:
here is something that might also be useful...if someone can anwser it Very Happy

say you want to connect over a longer distance and have decided on directional antenna. the problem is, when i open up my router (wnr834b) it has two antennas.

instead of which one should i use the directional antenna? do i need two directional antennas? can i disable one in some way? why are there two in the first place?

considering i want this router to work as a repeater, isn't it a bad idea to use a directional antenna? cause while the router will be able to connect to the AP, the wireless behind it will suck...

finally, would it be possible to use a directional instead of the first antenna, and use the other antenna separately to cover the rest of the place. or must the two antennas work on the same thing, meaning covering the place would require another router?

You don't need two directional antennas. DD-wrt has the ability to use one antenna for both tx and rx, or to use both automatically. You can use one directional and your stock antenna to get both directional and omni.

Also, antennas work in lobes, so generally the wireless behind the antenna doesn't "suck". Wink

strapabiro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, Mr. Verbose thanks You for the infos if i will not do those things i've learned something after all ... Smile
Just for curiosity, do You know what are the best parameters of an omni that a GL can handle without extra thingies. Thank You in advance.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
strapabiro wrote:
Just for curiosity, do You know what are the best parameters of an omni that a GL can handle without extra thingies. Thank You in advance.

By "thingies" I take it you mean pigtail? Pigtail connects the antenna to the router. I think you need to do that! I believe the connectors are r-tnc on the GL.

strapabiro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
No - no ... By thingies i meant external amp, dish, etc... nevermind. But by parameters i meant gain, power handling, impedance that a GL can support easily. I know i need a pigtail with a RP-TNC connector.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
The GL will handle any 2.4ghz antenna you connect to it. You will not need thingies if you get a good antenna that matches what you are trying to do.... Wink
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys I just ordered some of these on fleabay. The comments from people seem to make these seem pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350222168127&Category=86720

I used to repeat the signal outside because I like to go outside with my Ipod touch and listen to internet streams but the repeater choked. So currently my WRT54GL router with stock antenna gets a somewhat usable signal if I get REALLY close to the house. So I'm hoping these extend things at least a few feet. I'll let you know if these are any good.
kjbuente
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay guys, I'm planning on replacing the wireless card in WRT350N. I'll be installing a WPC600N so I can use the 5.8Ghz range. (2.4Ghz band is to busy were I'm at). My plan is to connect RP-SMA connectors to the card and attaching 3-6Dbi antennas. My concern is most rubber ducks are 2.4Ghz, if I use these what ill effects should I expect to see? Does anyone know were I can find an antenna that will serve both bands? Or should I just attach some helix coax? Razz

ALL FOR SALE!
giant22000
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking around at purchasing another yagi and have seen these a few times:

http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=1442&cat=258&page=1

Anybody have any experience with these vagi style antennas? Do they perform as well as the traditional yagi's?
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
If i bought TNC to SMA adapters and 2 16 dBi antennas for my TM to replace the stock ones, would it actually make a diff that would be worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
If i bought TNC to SMA adapters and 2 16 dBi antennas for my TM to replace the stock ones, would it actually make a diff that would be worth it?

Depends, of course, completely on what you are trying to do! I would not put directional antennas in a situation where you want omni.

KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
giant22000 wrote:
Looking around at purchasing another yagi and have seen these a few times:

http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=1442&cat=258&page=1

Anybody have any experience with these vagi style antennas? Do they perform as well as the traditional yagi's?
Nice looking antenna, good price, and you can count on FABcorp for quality products. How long a cable run will you need from your router to the antenna? Many people relocate the router outdoors onto the pole (in a sealed enclosure) to maintain as short a cable run as possible. Power over ethernet (POE) provides power to the exterior router and encounters less voltage drop over distance than RF signals do.

Navigation

Jump to: