Backup settings and restore them to even different hardware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
So do i use the same command to mount /opt to /mmc as I did /jffs?

and does curl need to be installed if we don't enable FTP?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are not using ftp/curl, then installing it would be pointless (as you are not using it). In addition, if you do not set the options for it, curl will not try to ftp anyway.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
bpeyser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:04    Post subject: Worked for me v23sp2 -> latest Eko! Reply with quote
Just an FYI: I used the files uploaded by hardwarewizard on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:54 pm to do a backup from v23 SP2 and restore on Eko's latest nokaid (dd-wrt.v24-12548_VINT_std-nokaid.bin), using a WRT54G v1.0 and it worked well! I also did a backup and restore from Eko's latest build in different flavors (I think from Mega to nokaid, but not sure) on a WRT54GS v1.0. So far looking great--and this is much easier than going through each page with a PDF of the old settings.

The only things I changed in the script were the variables:

FOLDER=/tmp/
VARFILE=/tmp/all_vars

And then I scp'd the files to /tmp/ on the router. I did chmod and executed the script without the "-t" option so the resulting files were saved to /tmp/ and I then scp'd them back to my laptop. To do the restore, I enabled SSH, scp'd the .essential.sh script back to /tmp/ and ran it.

I think this is excellent for upgrades--if it weren't for the recent vulnerability I definitely would not have upgraded because of the hassle. Finding this makes it much easier. Thanks to everyone who made this! Very Happy

-bpeyser
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:08    Post subject: Re: Worked for me v23sp2 -> latest Eko! Reply with quote
bpeyser wrote:
Just an FYI: I used the files uploaded by hardwarewizard on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:54

The only things I changed in the script were the variables:

FOLDER=/tmp/
VARFILE=/tmp/all_vars

-bpeyser

I followed what you did bpeyser and I have to say that hardwardwizard nailed the 2 settings I was originally having to check after reloading the essential.sh. Thanks!

And thanks to ALL who made this script happen!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your "FOLDER" variable can be specified to whatever is convenient to each individual user. Mine is pointed to '/tmp/root' since that is the default directory when one telnets or sshs into the router. And thanks to the customizability that frater built into the script, it *does* work wonders.

Read! Peacock thread
rcblackwell
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09    Post subject: Re: Worked for me v23sp2 -> latest Eko! Reply with quote
bpeyser wrote:
Just an FYI: I used the files uploaded by hardwarewizard on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:54 pm to do a backup from .......

I think this is excellent for upgrades--if it weren't for the recent vulnerability I definitely would not have upgraded because of the hassle. Finding this makes it much easier. Thanks to everyone who made this! Very Happy

-bpeyser

I followed much the same path as bpeyser when upgrading from build 12188 to 12615. With exception of static lease information, all information updated accordingly.

For some reason the correct number of static fields were created but data that should have been imported to them was not. The required data is contained in the script as I was able to cut and paste from the script to the static lease fields. Could this have something to do with the order in whcich the (essentials) script restore the data?
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 13:04    Post subject: Re: Worked for me v23sp2 -> latest Eko! Reply with quote
rcblackwell wrote:
For some reason the correct number of static fields were created but data that should have been imported to them was not. The required data is contained in the script as I was able to cut and paste from the script to the static lease fields. Could this have something to do with the order in whcich the (essentials) script restore the data?

Normally I would say no...
But we all saw now how variables are overwritten when other variables are set. My quick-and-dirty fix just changed the the order in which they are written.

So you were able to solve it by just a copy-paste of the "nvram set static_leases=" line?
I just did a little test and changed "static_leasenum" to 0 but it didn't (nor should) overwrite static_leases... It may be another variable....

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Script added to Wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
After using for a while, I noticed something. The dangerous.sh isn't getting any vars writen to it. Is this just on my machine?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you have the "vars_to_skip" file next to the script? If not, that may be a reason why the script is not creating a "dangerous.sh" file.

Read! Peacock thread
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
Do you have the "vars_to_skip" file next to the script? If not, that may be a reason why the script is not creating a "dangerous.sh" file.

Yes they are in the same dir. I was using RjG's version before I switch to hardwarewizard/frater updated script.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
crashfly wrote:

Yes they are in the same dir. I was using RjG's version before I switch to hardwarewizard/frater updated script.
There are 0D 0A bytes between lines in the vars_to skip file. Could it be the problem?
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
voldemar wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
crashfly wrote:

There are 0D 0A bytes between lines in the vars_to skip file. Could it be the problem?

I am using the vars_to_skip files that are with the script files respectively. So i don't think that would be the problem.

I'm Probably gonna have to wait till frater or hardwarewizard gets on to see if they can help me figure it out

EDIT: Scratch that, voldemar you were right, there was an extra line in the vars_to_skip file that was blank. Took out the line and it works great. Also and s was missing from the backupvars.sh the script in the wiki is corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I deliberately didn't interfere because voldemar had a point and it was interesting to see how my code was discussed.

That file is fed to "grep" and they are in fact general expressions. It is important this file is exactly the same. Programs like notepad can spoil this.

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
frater wrote:
I deliberately didn't interfere because voldemar had a point and it was interesting to see how my code was discussed.

That file is fed to "grep" and they are in fact general expressions. It is important this file is exactly the same. Programs like notepad can spoil this.

Is there a proggy you recommend for script editing?

Navigation

Jump to: