Client Bridge... Lessons Learned & One Final Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
HondoDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00    Post subject: Client Bridge... Lessons Learned & One Final Question Reply with quote
Client Bridge

Linksys WRT350N v1.0 (Primary)

Linksys WRT54GS v7.2 (Secondary)

SECURITY...

I have been struggling to get the two routers communicating. I had security set for WPA2-Personal, AES & 63 Character Key.

Additionally, I had MAC Filtering turned ON and Primary MAC added to Secondary and Secondary MAC added to Primary.

LESSONS LEARNED...

I turned OFF all security and connected... I then began to build back security one step at a time.

It seemed WPA2-Personal is NOT supported on the DD-WRT v24 micro version. I was able to downgrade this to WPA-Personal and was successful at establishing the connection.

Additionally, I had been concerned with the fact that "three" MAC's were listed in the WRT54GS status screen. I couldn't understand why and yet I was looking right at the answer all along. The DD-WRT firmware displays a LAN MAC, a WAN MAC & a Wireless MAC. The one listed on the outside of the router case is the WAN MAC which is what 99.999999% of the home users need when connecting to the ISP modem or combo modem / router. When I disabled security, that also included MAC filtering which was one of the things hosing my connection.

QUESTION...

My final question is that I am able to ping my Primary router, my ISP router but I can not goto www.google.com from the laptop connected to the Secondary router. I can however type in the ip address 64.233.169.103 and get right to google without any problem.

My current router IP's are 204.168.10.1 (Primary) and 204.168.10.2 (Secondary) and the ISP router is 192.168.1.1

I assume I need to setup the NAT on my (Primary) Linksys WRT350N v1.0 but I'll be darned if I can find where to do this?

If you can offer a suggestion, I'd be very greatful!
Sponsor
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try putting open dns addresses in for the primary routers dns server. Search for opendns and you should get the ip addresses for opendns.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
My final question is that I am able to ping my Primary router, my ISP router but I can not goto www.google.com from the laptop connected to the Secondary router. I can however type in the ip address 64.233.169.103 and get right to google without any problem.

DNS is not right on the second router or the laptop.

if you can ping in your network only:
IP is good
Subnet Mask is good

if you can ping an outside server via IP but not via URL, Default Gateway is valid, DNS is invalid.

If you traceroute to an IP off of your network the IPs returned are a list of Default Gateways in order from your PC out to the world.[/quote]
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use 192.168.1.1 as the GW on the CB unit.

You should have your Host do the DNS for you...

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 are for OpenDNS.

They can be added to the Setup>>Basic tab on your host AP unit....then in the Services>>Services tab under DNSMasq....type in "strict-order" in the text box.

So...your DNS1 and DNS2 would be the first checked...then your ISP would become your third (you can leave DNS3 at 0.0.0.0 on the Setup>>Basic tab.

Check the Status>>WAN tab for your DNS addresses when you are done.

But...on the CB unit...make sure you use the host AP's IP address as the GW.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: