Netgear WGR614v6 running dd-wrt.v24_micro successfully!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good job, I like it! Very Happy

There are so many neutered routers with decent cpu's so I am a bit surprised that we don't see more of these upgrades.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
To do:

- Find and try 29lv640 or equivalent.
On previous picture you see equivalent of 29lv320 by Spansion.

- Investigate in cfe variable called reset_gpio=7.
I suspect one can resolve reset button issue in WGR614v6

- Run jtag connector. At this moment jtag does not work at all in spite of resistors RP1/R23. Any suggestion?

- Investigate in cfe variables called vlan... Ones can resolve WAN/LAN4 port replacement

according to vlan... variables. there are differences between cfe and telnet responses. Telnet for proper ports settings says:

vlan0ports=3 2 1 0 5*
vlan1ports=4 5
I'll try to write it into cfe
pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
I have received a lot of questions from beginners.

Q 1. you should burn a CFE to it first using a 3rd-part programmer, because this PCB does not have JTAG pinout! {What is CFE}
A.1. CFE means Common Firmware Environment. One was issued by Broadcom and this is little bit like universal boot loader customized for different router of curse.
You can program first 256KB of flash memory in the 3rd party programmer or by jtag with CFE and than use tftp do download firmware or program whole flash memory (CFE + firmware). I saw somewhere file called 614v6 WHOLEFLASH DUMP. In our case whole flash memory dump consists of CFE (boot loader), main firmware (micro ,mini etc.), nvram (user settings)

WGR614v6 has JTAG connecor but by default one is not active bacause of lack of a few resistors.Currently my JTAG does not work but who knows...

Q 2. What is the purpose of "WGR614.V6.ddwrt.WHOLEFLASH.BIN" and what I am supposed to do with it ?
A.2. See above on A.1. Wholeflash.bin file contains direct dump of flash memory. One contains CFE+firmware+settings. When you put it into the flash memory the WGR614v6 will be working at once.

Q.3. How I can program the content into the new 2 MB Flash ROM - S29AL016D90TF102 ?
A.3. Generally the size is not important. I mean that flash memory size can be bigger than 2MB. CFE or WHOLEFLASH dump should be written from beginning of flash space. The smallest version of firmware (called micro) has nearly 2MB and that is the reason you have to posses minimum 2MB of flash.

Q.4. What is the problem with RESET ?
A.4 In the WGR614v6 the reset button is wired into different I/O port pin than in the wrt54G. So, it is necessary to make connection from RESET button to proper pin of I/O port or change something in CFE (I thing so) to support original WGR614v6 reset button. It is very inconvinient to use router without reset button. Let's say you do not remember password and you have a brick.

Q.5. Can I put more Flash rom chip so that I can burn mini version of DD-WRT ?
A.5. Yes, you can. Currently I use 4MB flash memory and 32MB ram and I use vpn firmware version

Q.6. Can I put more RAM if so what are the chip numbers I need to replace with what ?
A.6 Yes you can. See previous responses. Currently I use 32MB ram. 16MB ram you can use without any changes. To activate more than 16MB you have to change value of sdram_init variable in nvram (temporary) or cfe (default). See previous responses.

As a flash memory you should use equivalents of chips below:
- 29lv160 (2MB) - for micro
- 29lv320 (4MB) - for micro,mini, standard, vpn
- 29lv640 (8MB) - for micro,mini ,standard, vpn, mega

The bigger firmware in flash, the bigger ram necessary.

Last edited by pppp on Thu Jan 07, 2010 13:52; edited 1 time in total
pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting text regarding vlan ports replacement

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports
Time to change it into cfe

------------
Added
In the cfe reset_gpio=7. By additional wiring the reset button is connected to gpio 6. It is necessary to edit in the cfe reset_gpio=6. One can change it in the hex editor.

Status led on front panel is not working. I see it is possible to switch one on and off by gpio 11. I added via web tab administrator/commands as a staring script "gpio enable 11" and as a shutdown script "gpio disable 11". The "ready" led lit when router is working.

I see that default IP when router do not boot is 192.168.1.245. I think that IP should be 192.168.1.1 so in the cfe it is necessary to edit lan_ipaddr=192.168.1.1

-----------------
The simplest way to resolve wan/Lan port replacement is .... to change description label on the front panel. Smile))
One should be WIFi, LAN4, LAN3, LAN2, LAN1, WAN. I cut the original label, changed figures and stick ones together by adhesive tape underneath.

-----------------------------
Added:
-Jtag works well! On main board lacking RP1 r-pack should be exactly 4x4,7k and r23 resistor should be 100 ohm.

jtag pinout on board like in attached image. I also attach images of jtag header in my solution.

In fact to get jtag working you need 5 peces of 25cm long wires and four 100 ohm resistors. You need TDI,TDO,TMS and TCK signals through 100 ohm resistors to LPT port and GND signal. On LPT port side you have signals as below:

pin 2 - TDI
pin 13 - TDO
pin 4 - TMS
pin 3 - TCK
pin 20, 25 - GND

Assuming. The WGR614v6 is 100% compatible with dd-wrt!

pcb top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Viewed:  53938 Time(s)

pcb top.jpg

jtag opory.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.73 KB

jtag opory.jpg

jtag złącze.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.08 KB

jtag złącze.jpg

Last edited by pppp on Tue Jan 05, 2010 18:45; edited 2 times in total
pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Next images

jtag-hairydairymaid.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.34 KB
 Viewed:  53911 Time(s)

jtag-hairydairymaid.png

jtag.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 MB
 Viewed:  53937 Time(s)

jtag.JPG

pcb bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  53937 Time(s)

pcb bottom.jpg

pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue of changed wan/lan ports is resolved by modification of cfe. You DO NOT HAVE to change vlan settings anymore!

Here you have final cfe for wgr614v6 2MB rom/8MB ram.

Default IP is 192.168.1.1 for tftp

I attach GUI cfe editor too. See and compare variables with old cfe file.

I am still thinking about reset button issue. By default reset button is wired to gpio 14. So, it means that reset_gpio=14 variable should be in the cfe. I suspect that reset button will be working only whilst powering router on or whilst firmware failure. Whilst normal working I see that firmware changes reset button support onto gpio=6 and without additional wiring to gpio 6 the reset button does not work normally.
Has anyone any experience in that issue?

pppp

GUI wrtcfe editor.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GUI wrtcfe editor.zip
 Filesize:  225.05 KB
 Downloaded:  1957 Time(s)

cfe614v6.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cfe614v6.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  2049 Time(s)

Last edited by pppp on Thu Jan 07, 2010 13:12; edited 1 time in total
pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to question from beginner.

Q."Now i want to change both Flash chip and the RAM to 8 MB and 32 MB respectively. I will purchase Flash Chip - 29lv640 and for 32 MB RAM chip what i am supposed to purchase ? Please give me the chip number ?

These replacements what i do are whether direct pin compatible ? i mean can i replace the chip by noting down the pin configuration ?"

A. As a flash chip you should use one of listed when attached brjtag utility starts. It appears the newest version of wgr54g jtag utility (HairyDairyMaid). When you use one of listed flash types you will be able to program flash via jtag in the future. I mean flash support in the jtag utility in case of router memory contents failure. For example I found in my drawer some Fujitsu MBM29DL640 but the utility do not support one and .... I still use Spansion S29GL032 (new name of Intel???). Fortunately I have a good hotair station so I am able to remove chip a lot of time perfectly. Untill I got jtag running I had removed flash chip 15 times or more. Smile. Assuming: use only chips you can reprogramm via jtag in the future.

My 32 MB ram chip is called Micron 48LC16M16. I suspect you can use 32MB ram called Hynix 57V561620 because I saw both of them on the same kind of mainboards.
Remeber, you can use sd ram chip only. Every chip should be JEDEC pin compatible so, it means that pins are identical.

--------------
Currently I am thinking how to add SD card reader to WGR614v6. It is very easy because the newest dd-wrt firmware supports SD/MMC and it is necessary to define proper gpio pins via web. Problem is to find 4 pieces of gpio. SD/MMC needs only 4 signals: DI,D0, CLK and CS (chip select)

At the moment I know that on gpio=0 is WLAN led and on gpio=11 i ready led. We can also cut original path from reset button and in that way we get free gpio=14. gpio=0 is unusable because one blinks when wifi is active.

See:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/customizing/hardware/mmc

Any idea where to find other unused gpio path?

brjtag18b.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  brjtag18b.rar
 Filesize:  39.2 KB
 Downloaded:  1774 Time(s)

brjtag18a.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  brjtag18a.rar
 Filesize:  134.93 KB
 Downloaded:  1922 Time(s)

pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is original WGR614v6 flash dump. You can see inside one a lot of common with cfe variables eg. boardflags, sdram_init etc.

Interesting is fact they use reset_gpio=7 (???)

NVram (0x1f0000) area is very similar to one from dd-wrt (0x1f8000)

WGR614.V6 2MB dump clean.BIN
 Description:
Netgear WGR614v6 dump

Download
 Filename:  WGR614.V6 2MB dump clean.BIN
 Filesize:  2 MB
 Downloaded:  1898 Time(s)

myacct
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wah! One year not come back and such a great job has been made already!
myacct
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last time, Eko sent me a compressed CFE with custimized MAC address which is only 128K; so that I can flash with a micro_plus_ssh version of dd-wrt into the 2M flash-chip. You know, SSH is so useful.

I wonder whether a similar "WRTCFE" GUI can be used to changed the MAC address within a compressed CFE.

pppp wrote:
The issue of changed wan/lan ports is resolved by modification of cfe. You DO NOT HAVE to change vlan settings anymore!

Here you have final cfe for wgr614v6 2MB rom/8MB ram.

Default IP is 192.168.1.1 for tftp

I attach GUI cfe editor too. See and compare variables with old cfe file.

I am still thinking about reset button issue. By default reset button is wired to gpio 14. So, it means that reset_gpio=14 variable should be in the cfe. I suspect that reset button will be working only whilst powering router on or whilst firmware failure. Whilst normal working I see that firmware changes reset button support onto gpio=6 and without additional wiring to gpio 6 the reset button does not work normally.
Has anyone any experience in that issue?

pppp
pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Dump your cfe by
http://router_ip/backup/cfe.bin
and put one here.

Probably gui cfe editor will not work with compressed cfe.
You can try to see and edit your cfe by means of some hex editor and then save one into your router by ssh/telnet method
Lex-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35    Post subject: R88 Reply with quote
Hi,
Please let me know the value of R88 near the flash memory.

Thanks in advance.
Al.
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have three WGR614v6 routers, i'll open them soon, to know what chips are there.

I wanted to ask if i'm going to change the flash memory, then do i have to take the CFE's each one individually or can i use one for all them?

Does this router have only one antenna or is there a internal antenna too?
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the routers i got are 1 mb chip, i ordered some chips from ebay. Smile
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just traced the CPU pin to which the reset button is soldered and it seems to route to the TDI point on the other side of the board. Was dangerous grinding of the CPU really needed?

If any of you guys already attached a wire to the CPU, could you please double check this with a ohmtmeter. I don't feel like inserting a very thin conductor under the CPU to verify this. However, if no one responds, I will probably do it:) But lets hope somebody responds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: