Site Survey and Wireless Repeating Not Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gb1200
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 18:38    Post subject: Site Survey and Wireless Repeating Not Working Reply with quote
Hi there. I have v24sp1 running on my Linksys WRT54G v1.1 and I'm having trouble setting up the wireless repeater. I have followed all the tutorials and I can get other computers to see the new SSID but I cannot connect to it. On my MAC, I try to connect but it says it timesout. Also, when I'm in DDWRT and run Site Survey, not networks come up, but on my laptop, I see a bunch of networks. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could be a SP1 issue. Or an improper hard reset. Take a look at the Peacock Thread Sticky.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
paradigm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes what Donny said. There were (are?) some issues particularly with primary routers which are not running dd-wrt but instead factory firmware.
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16    Post subject: WRT54G V1.1 needs VINT firmware from what I read..... Reply with quote
Hey GB,

I am also installing DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G v1.1.

I think v24sp1 is not the correct version for the older radio unit used in the v1.1 routers we have. I think you have to use the "vintage" versions.

This one:

dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_std.bin

or

dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini.bin

The VINT versions run the radio in the old units better, from what I read.

HTH

NXIL
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:26    Post subject: Re: WRT54G V1.1 needs VINT firmware from what I read..... Reply with quote
NXIL wrote:
Hey GB,

I am also installing DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G v1.1.

I think v24sp1 is not the correct version for the older radio unit used in the v1.1 routers we have. I think you have to use the "vintage" versions.

This one:

dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_std.bin

or

dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini.bin

The VINT versions run the radio in the old units better, from what I read.

HTH

NXIL

Get a newer build of DD-WRT
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?sort=size&path=downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn10991/

"UPDATE 11/08/08 - lets try to eliminate the confusion. This is a very old thread now. Early NEWD builds were rather problematic on some of the 4712 radios and frankly the VINT ran better...however, this has changed....

Any of the newer builds - after SVN10086....run NEWD on any corerev unit of 5 and higher. This includes the WRT54Gv1.1 - V3 units.

DO NOT RUN NEWD ON V1.0 UNITS....run VINT only. If you run NEWD on a V1.0 you WILL brick it.

When in doubt (even on other make/models of early radios)....check the wl0_corerev variable in the nvram. 5 and higher...run NEWD.... - 4 and lower...run VINT.

redhawk

Just to re-emphisize the builds again so there is no confusion.

V24-VINT-final are for the older radio sets with miniPCI cards like the WRT54Gv1 and WAP54Gv1 units....if the V24 Final is used on these radios...it will most likely brick it.

The VINT builds work best on all the older 4710 and 4712 CPU units....for the list check the wiki under Supported Devices.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Supported_Devices

The newer radios with CPU types 4704, 4785, 5354, 5365....MUST run the V24-final....not VINT builds"

5352 processors can run either....V24-final recommended.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31978&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The Peacock Thread: If dd-wrt isn't working, go here first.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39529
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51    Post subject: WRT54G v1.1 corerev = 4 Reply with quote
Hi Shawn,

thanks for your note; I did check the corerev on my unit, which is 4--BCM4710--so, I do think I need to run the vintage version.

I must say I do like the "mini" version over standard: very quick web interface, while the "standard" one is pretty laggy, taking 3 seconds or more to update.

Compared to Tomato, which I have also tried (for some months--sort of crashy), DD-WRT/mini makes the router work faster, i.e. web pages load much faster. This is good.

Thanks,

NXIL
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Shawn,

despite my fear of brickage, I took your advice and updated to:

dd-wrt.v24-10991_VINT_mini.bin

All went well, and thanks, it is great.

Router, and hence internet are way faster/"snappier" than with either stock Linksys, or with Polarcloud Tomato. (The standard WW-DRT build was a bit big and busy for this old router and was also a bit slow, so I am glad that the mini version is available and works so well.)

I switched from Tomato because of crashing/lock ups, usually after 2 or 3 weeks of uptime--not bad, but, could be better, will see how this DD-WRT build does.

Thank you (and all forum contributors) for your help.

NXIL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: