*SOLVED* WHR-G300N won't take firmware.bin from TFTP server.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 21:34    Post subject: *SOLVED* WHR-G300N won't take firmware.bin from TFTP server. Reply with quote
I have built an MAX232-serial converter and it works, but I can't get my new Buffalo WHR-G300N to take the firmware.bin no matter what I try... Any one knows what I am doing wrong?

Here is snippet from log from the part G300N tries to get the firmware.bin from my computer/TFTP server:

Code:
ETH_STATE_ACTIVE!!

Using Eth0 (10/100-M) device

TFTP from server 192.168.11.2; our IP address is 192.168.11.1

Filename 'firmware.bin'.

TIMEOUT_COUNT=10,Load address: 0x81000000

Loading: *Got ARP REPLY, set server/gtwy eth addr (00:11:25:2e:91:c6)

Got it

Got ARP REQUEST, return our IP

T T T T T T T T T Got ARP REQUEST, return our IP

T

Retry count exceeded; starting again

This loops to infinity...

I have tried tftpd and tftpd-hpa and placed firmware.bin to TFTP server root, is this correct way?

I used instructions from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

I'll attach whole log from latest try...

Last edited by olmari on Tue Jan 06, 2009 21:10; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
firewall disabled?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Last edited by Sash on Fri Jan 23, 2009 18:37; edited 1 time in total
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
firewall disabled?

Correct, no firewall at all :-/
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm... sometimes I see "checksum bad" among the lines... But not allways...

I have tried firmware.bin from Eko/BS folder and versions 020109 and 021108, not working...

Edit: I tried another network cable just in case, but no go...
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey solved this one... It turned out to be rather simple solution, tftpd(-hpa) didn't work, but when I tried atftpd instead it worked instantly!

I still can't figure out what was wrong with tftpd, all settings was correct etc, but that didn't work...

But anyways this is now solved, so lets consider this thread closed... And for everyone: use atftpd Smile
dezral
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:51    Post subject: great, how did you do it.? Reply with quote
Do you have a diagram of the serial port on the board for WHR-G300N..?? how you made it..
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 22:03    Post subject: Re: great, how did you do it.? Reply with quote
dezral wrote:
Do you have a diagram of the serial port on the board for WHR-G300N..?? how you made it..

Well I am planning doing more "robust"/better rs232 buffer cable than currently, maybe I'll remember to document it too...

But lets say first pin is the square one, that is a 3.3v power (leg 16 of max3232, you need to add 5 volt regulator and take power directly from power intake if using traditional max232 chip), second goes Tx1 in (leg 11), third pin goes Rx1 out (leg 12) and last one is GND/minus (leg 15)...

I'm planning on doing a rs232 dongle that has max3233 built in so only thing needed is to solder header to any given device. Max3233 because that doesn't basically need any extra components like traditional max232 does, so it will fit much more easily inside DB9 casing (I hope).

And propably I will tweak my own devices so that they will have rs232 on them so I need only normal rs232 cable for console connection.
flokrates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12    Post subject: WHR-G300N Serial Header Reply with quote
I recently bought a WHR-G300N and want to flash it with DD-WRT using a serial level shifter. Based on olmari's post I've done a picture of the serial header.

Can someone confirm the correctness of the serial header pinout attached?

If it is correct, maybe someone can add it to the WHR-G300N Wiki page as well:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

Thanx in advance!

flokrates
AA666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flashed with instructions from wiki and this picture. Picture is correct.

RT3052F support USB, any ideas how to get USB on this board?
flokrates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks AA666 for confirming!

I've just updated the wiki page and added the serial header pinout image.
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello! I just modified and flashed my router successfully with a DKU-5 cable. But after I did a 30/30/30 reset, the router was bricked with the red DIAG light flashing twice every few seconds.

When I logged in through the terminal again, I saw the firmware being loaded and then a "Bad CRC in EEPROM" error message, thus halting the startup with the red light flashing. Has anyone else experienced this?

At least I can connect with serial again. I will try to flash it once more to fix this problem.
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so it says exactly:

Code:
Bad CRC of EEPROM!!
 # LED(0x80) Blink[2] (Please press 'Ctrl+c' to stop)

And if I ctrl-c, then DD-WRT is loaded successfully. Is there a way to change the CRC or bypass the check? I already tried flashing again. Sad
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
No good. I tried flashing older versions of the pre-SP2 firmwares, using WinAgents TFTP Server instead of TFTPD32, playing with the reset button again and switching ethernet cables. (I am on Vista Ultimate SP1). Now DD-WRT hangs when I change the initial username/password, which I guess means that something is going wrong with the firmware transfer.

I guess I have to install Linux and atftpd next? Oh boy. Confused
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Menkatek wrote:
Now DD-WRT hangs when I change the initial username/password, which I guess means that something is going wrong with the firmware transfer.

Or just go again to 192.168.1.1 and it works? Afaik DD-WRT have had that "initial password change blankscreen" as long as password change became neccesity...

Or, how does it hang actually?
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
olmari wrote:
Or just go again to 192.168.1.1 and it works? Afaik DD-WRT have had that "initial password change blankscreen" as long as password change became neccesity...

Or, how does it hang actually?

Hi olmari. Yes, I believe it hangs because I've tried to re-load the admin page after changing the password but it never finishes. The ctrl-C error message is also still there. Does "checksum bad" or "Bad CRC" mean that the uploaded firmware is bad, or did the 30/30 reset ruin the checksum procedure?

I'm pretty sure I switched on the router twice without issues, before the 30/30 reset.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: