*SOLVED* WHR-G300N won't take firmware.bin from TFTP server.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps the putty log could help? Please see attached.

Edit: Sorry, previous log was missing some stuff in the beginning.
Sponsor
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried atftpd and tftp-server on CentOS 4.7 to no avail. But DD-WRT accepts password changes now, so that's good.

I've learned more about UBoot than I really wanted to know. Sad Is there really any way to replace the checksum? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.

I'd prefer not to exchange the router obviously (since it was a risk) but it wouldn't take much effort to de-mod the router and try again with another one. The cost would be some guilt, I guess.
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
So cold and quiet in here. :cry:

I think I'm getting closer. I tried some of the UBoot commands and came up with some better error messages:

Code:
RT3052 # iminfo

## Checking Image at 81000000 ...
   Bad Magic Number
RT3052 # bootm
## Booting image at 81000000 ...
Bad Magic Number,00000000
 # LED(0x80) Blink[2] (Please press 'Ctrl+c' to stop)

There are some Google results so I'll take a look (unless someone here has an idea!)
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the putty output from a flash session, until it hits Bad CRC.

Edit: Also, the output after hitting Ctrl-C.

Last edited by Menkatek on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30; edited 1 time in total
AA666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can be tftp/udp issue.
Those proto not very suitable for file transfer because there is no confirmation of delivered packets. Some network packets can be missed and you receive damaged file on another side.
You need to make sure what your network works perfectly over tftp/udp before flashing. You can try to transfer this firmware file from your tftp to another pc through your router switch. Try to do it some times and compare crc after each tranfser.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brainslayer wrote:
… im whr g300n verzeichniss liegt jetzt ein preflash image was mal jemand testen könnte
… nach dem preflash müßte man das firmware.bin via web flashen können um dd-wrt drauf zu kriegen

in english:

this is BETA and we need some testers!

from now on there is preflash image in the whr-g300n folder that makes the serial access unnecessary. just flash it via web-if and the flash the firmware.bin image via web-if, too, to finish the way to dd-wrt.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Last edited by Sash on Fri Jan 23, 2009 18:38; edited 1 time in total
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your replies! I have tried the .enc firmware but DD-WRT refuses it for being an invalid format. Sash or anyone, could you provide a little more detail for loading the encrypted firmware via the web interface?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
what do u wanna do?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Last edited by Sash on Fri Jan 23, 2009 18:39; edited 1 time in total
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Sash. I would like to fix the "Bad CRC of EEPROM" error, and I thought your procedure would do this. Now it sounds like it is only to bypass the need for a serial link. Do you know what is wrong with my router?

I also tried using firmware.bin through the web interface, but it did not accept it. Then I tried "WHR-G300N-webflash.bin", and DD-WRT accepted the firmware. But I still had the error and flashing red light.

I'm pretty close to exchanging the router for a new one. Sad And I fully understand that it's beta but it can still be frustrating.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Menkatek wrote:
Hi Sash. I would like to fix the "Bad CRC of EEPROM" error, and I thought your procedure would do this. Now it sounds like it is only to bypass the need for a serial link. Do you know what is wrong with my router?

I also tried using firmware.bin through the web interface, but it did not accept it. Then I tried "WHR-G300N-webflash.bin", and DD-WRT accepted the firmware. But I still had the error and flashing red light.

I'm pretty close to exchanging the router for a new one. Sad And I fully understand that it's beta but it can still be frustrating.

the preflash image is for the original buffalo firmware, not for dd-wrt. so you are working on a complete different task. also for tftp. only the preflash image could work. the firmware.bin and dd-wrt-webflash.bin will not work for tftp.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
the preflash image is for the original buffalo firmware, not for dd-wrt. so you are working on a complete different task. also for tftp. only the preflash image could work. the firmware.bin and dd-wrt-webflash.bin will not work for tftp.

Okay, thanks BrainSlayer. I guess no one knows what happened to my router. Maybe something got physically damaged. I'll try to tftp the preflash and report here. If it doesn't help, will exchange the unit tomorrow.
Menkatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be more precise, it is a "Bad Magic Number" error.

Anyway, I tried to flash .enc through TFTP, but it only returned:

Code:
tftp server done
Bytes transferred = 2772284 (2a4d3c hex)
NetBootFileXferSize= 002a4d3c
tftp server received buffalo F/W.
buf="Yy9-xgdd5"
 ### TFTPS buf: unknown firmware ###
Bad CRC of EEPROM!!

I also renamed the .enc file to .bin, and the flash worked. But the following happened:

Code:
Bad CRC of EEPROM!!

3: System Boot system code via Flash.
## Booting image at bf050000 ...
Bad Magic Number,5748522D

And then the unit would reset. Anyway, I have given up.
dezral
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 13:58    Post subject: Would it be possible that at some point.... Reply with quote
Will it be possible that at some point flashing via the webinterface would work? in the future?
AA666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
dezral it should work now, but you need to flash intermediate "preflash.enc" firmware. You can flash it via "firmware update" on web-interface of your Buffalo router. After this you can flash dd-wrt firmware named "firmware.bin" via web gui.

Last edited by AA666 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:38; edited 1 time in total
Emo-101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
AA666 wrote:
dezral it should work now, but you need to flash intermediate ".enc" firmware. You can flash it via "firmware update" on web-interface of your Buffalo router. After this you can flash dd-wrt firmware named "webflash" via web gui.

Nope! It is not working!
Just bricked WHR-G300N to Flash ROM Error state. (two red DIAG flashes)
The encoded DD-WRT--WHR-G300N-preflash.enc flashed without problems, and I got this in the Web UI: (Preflash.jpg).
But after flashing WHR-G300N-webflash.bin and waiting for 40 minutes, no restart of the router, and two flashes of DIAG LED.
Please advice.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: