Wireless rate change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
garythomas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 18:15    Post subject: Wireless rate change Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what CLI commands are used to change the transmission fixed rate.

If I go to Wireless->Advanced Settings and change the Transmission fixed rate, I see that nvram's wl_rate and nvram's wl0_rate are changed to the rate I selected in the page. If I then go to the Status->System Info page, I can also see the new rate.

However, if I issue at the CLI

> nvram set wl_rate=<new rate> and
> nvram set wl0_rate=<new_rate>
> nvram commit

I can see the new rate reflected in the Wireless->Advanced Settings page, but not in the Status->System Info page.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Gary
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are you actually trying to do? You realize that if you set it to a fixed rate, if the router signal quality won't support that fixed rate, you will get no signal at all? Which is why it is best to leave it on auto. At least that's how I understand it.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
garythomas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 13:59    Post subject: Wireless rate change Reply with quote
Yes I understand... but I need to be able to do it (a job thing).

So again, is there something else I need to set?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't go beyond the webgui, which I presume you have tried.

I believe that the wireless status shows the rate of transmission based on the signal quality, but am not sure how it does that given that there can be multiple clients with different connections and therefore different signal strengths. Also, it has been reported that if there is no traffic, you won't have a high speed.

I always use the throughput graphs to determine speed. And although my status will sometimes show 54mbs, I never get that speed on wireless.....never.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe its part of the specifications in wireless to auto-negotiate the best speed based on signal strength.

Even if you manually set a speed, the programming will re-detect wireless signal strength and then the auto-negotiate best transfer rate it can based on signal strength.

And like posted above, if you set the max transfer rate, but signal doesn't warrant that speed, you just won't get a connection at all.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
garythomas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
... OK I foud if I do a reebot I get the results I wanted.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
garythomas wrote:
... OK I foud if I do a reebot I get the results I wanted.

However, if I issue at the CLI

> nvram set wl_rate=<new rate> and
> nvram set wl0_rate=<new_rate>
> nvram commit
> REBOOT

I can see the new rate reflected in the Wireless->Advanced Settings page, but not in the Status->System Info page.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Gary

Yea.. That was the part missing..

I always reboot either by command or a power cycle. It was just taken for granted..

Navigation

Jump to: