WRT610N BRICKED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
dvpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
hans_lt wrote:
If Linksys is selling buggy firmware, company should be ready to spend some money on additional expenses - shipping costs and so on. Firmware is buggy at least by not allowing to use standart recovery procedure - tftping original software. Silly mistake by limiting upload file size to 4Mb.

Yes. But then they never intended for us to flash these either. Its not like they told us that the routers are flashable. So, if one bricks it, IMHO, they should try to recover it or dump it but sending it back to Linksys or the store is not cool imho. Stunts like these are the ones that drive prices up for ALL of us.

If its a legit failure, by all means use the warranty and return policy and all other avenues but if you are flashing and brick it, then that neither Linksys' fault not the store's fault.
Sponsor
dvpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
timbro wrote:
dvpatel wrote:
To the folks recommending option 1. Here is a novel idea. How about taking responsibility for your actions v/s sticking a store with a dud which YOU caused due to YOUR fault for not doing your homework before flashing?

Remember. What goes around comes around and Karma is a biatch.

Making mistakes is how you learn. I encourage this young fellow to try and get this router back up and running which may help others in the future.

I agree with that. But making mistakes and then sticking the store or linksys with the bill is not cool. The fellow should recover the router with the JTAG or Serial ports v/s returning it is what I am saying.
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 19:41    Post subject: not returning it Reply with quote
i agree with all that......i guess that's not fair, and i wouldn't like it if someone did it to me.

now, i have a proposal. i put the router, the supplies and everything and, all together we at least, find a way for people to get out of trouble once they flash their router, wrt610n and it goes bad.

With that i mean a simple guide (hans_it was ok with it) so on one side research keeps moving forward and we ALL can test, on the other side, if stuff goes wrong we can go back to the initial point.

Now what kind of header do i need for the WRT610N, i have a good electronics store really close, i live in italy. I will try to find it, and then i also need to know how do i connect the wires from the DKU-5 to the connector that goes on the header.

Once we fail-proof this procedure, it can be done with specs for the router commonly used so whoever ends up in deep mud can recover.

Sounds good?

Thanks anyways to anyone willing to help.

I am humble enough to admit i don't understand anything about this but hell, i will put all that i can to achieve a positive result!!
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Sorry...might have missed this....

Did you TRY tftp the original linksys firmware?

yeah tried to but it stops at 51%...looks like 7.1 MB is too much Smile
wunderkind
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dvpatel wrote:
hans_lt wrote:
If Linksys is selling buggy firmware, company should be ready to spend some money on additional expenses - shipping costs and so on. Firmware is buggy at least by not allowing to use standart recovery procedure - tftping original software. Silly mistake by limiting upload file size to 4Mb.

Yes. But then they never intended for us to flash these either. Its not like they told us that the routers are flashable. So, if one bricks it, IMHO, they should try to recover it or dump it but sending it back to Linksys or the store is not cool imho. Stunts like these are the ones that drive prices up for ALL of us.

If its a legit failure, by all means use the warranty and return policy and all other avenues but if you are flashing and brick it, then that neither Linksys' fault not the store's fault.

I agree that sending it back as defective is grimy but I disagree with what you said about them not saying the router is flashable. Linksys implies the router is flashable by providing the capability in their firmware, not disabling the tftp listen on boot and providing the firmware on the support section of their website. If only one firmware should be expected to be successsfully flashed to the device it would be the stock one.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
SVN revision 17084M NEWD Eko STD-NoKaid

Asus RT-N16
SVN revision 16994 K26 Eko Mega Enhanced with OTWR

How to get dd-wrt help
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:29    Post subject: upload Reply with quote
sorry but i disagree on something...linksys may even give people the chance to flash the FW but....BUT it's like a "technically you can, practically you can't" because you can't flash over 4MB to the thing..

or i am wrong?
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brainslayer forgot to remove the script that compiles the WRT610N file, me thinks.

There's even a new one uploaded on 21st Jan 09, by Brainslayer.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made a ticket on the Trac about this.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/860

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 15:34    Post subject: ? Reply with quote
excuse me a second, i just need to understand some things:

- i saw this on openwrt forum...it's another way of getting connected to the wrt610n. it's a audio cable???

- can i build a cable like that with the end that is on usb connection?

- would it work to put back the original firm on the wrt610n and debrick it??

- i just want the original firmware on.

ric

wrt610n-serial-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.62 KB
 Viewed:  38270 Time(s)

wrt610n-serial-2.jpg

wrt610n-serial-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.58 KB
 Viewed:  38270 Time(s)

wrt610n-serial-1.jpg

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMARTINA wrote:
Donny wrote:

Am I missing something. (YES). Can't mega (almost 8mb) be flashed with tftp?

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
RMARTINA wrote:
Donny wrote:

Am I missing something. (YES). Can't mega (almost 8mb) be flashed with tftp?

Well my router is bricked, and via TFTP can't flash over 4MB. It always cancels the transfer at 51% of the transfer. the thing is that i have to jtag it and recover it like that. now i am figuring out if i can use the dku-5 nokia cable usb and 3,5 jack to build the serial or i have to use a jtag cable. the serials seems easier to build. what do you think?any advice?
hardwarewizard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are only 2 ways to get the router working again repgm stock f/w using jtag or terminal port.

thats it period.

i have a jtag for the 610n and am willing to unbrick them as long as you pay shipping to and from.

disclaimer
all units will have their waranty voided as you must break the seal
hans_lt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMARTINA, yes, you are on right path - these are the same pictures as i used to unbrick mine WRT610N.

Look at the picture bellow, the most important one.
Here are the "soldering points explained".
(All credits to sentenza from openwrt forum)

WRT610N_mb_back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.15 KB
 Viewed:  38164 Time(s)

WRT610N_mb_back.jpg

RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:49    Post subject: cable Reply with quote
TO HANS_IT
should i use the dku-5 or ca-42 they say they are about the same only dku-5 has 5 wires and ca-42 has only 3 thicker ones?
And..i don't have a multimeter to check, can i arbitrary give to red and white tx - rx and black is the GND? Should i attach anything to the 3.3V on the board?
thanks!
hans_lt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Corrected:
Nokia DKU-5
Uses FBus, so the cable contains a serial to USB converter. Limited to 115200 bps.

Nokia CA-42
Newer model of DKU-5. For FBus, but behaves like a true USB device. Limited to 230400 bps

Since CA-42 is not serial to USB converter, i do not recomend that one.

On PC side we will use program called "Hyperterminal". It works with serial ports, not USB.

About DKU-5:
Important pop-port pins are 6,7,8 (or 2, it's the same as 8 ), look at diagram.

Pop-port pin 6 - FBus Rx/USB D+ .
Pop-port pin 7 FBus Tx/USB D- .
Pop-port pin 8 GND Data GND
Pop-port pin 2 GND Charger ground (Most likely that one is not connected on ca-42)

So, pin 8 or pin 2 from pop-port should be connected to GND on WRT610N bord.
pin 7 from pop-port (TX) - to RX on WRT610N bord.
pin 6 from pop-port (RX) - to TX on WRT610N board.

Nokia DKU-2 is listed as "Straight Pop-Port to USB cable". I doubt that it works, since on PC side that cable must be recognized as serial port.

If you don't have multimeter, don't trust colors, look where each wire is conected on pop-port. On my DKu-5 colors were:

Pop-port pin 8 - GND wire color -black.
Pop-port pin 7 - RX wire color - white.
Pop-port pin 6 - TX wire color - blue.

nokia14_w_ant.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  655 Bytes
 Viewed:  38152 Time(s)

nokia14_w_ant.gif

Last edited by hans_lt on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:32; edited 5 times in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: