WRT610N BRICKED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:52    Post subject: WRT610N BRICKED Reply with quote
YES i know...that was stupid of me! Well the situation is this:

- Brand new WRT610N
- Tried the WRT610N ddwrt bin
- Power light flashing

What i have tried:
- Hard reset, soft reset
- Upload trough TFTP - Results: Upload always CANCELS at 51% of the transfer saying Transfer Cancelled. I can ping the router on 192.168.1.1 but there is no way it lets me upload the damn firmware (7.1MB) - I tried again uploading the DDWRT and it completes the transfer (3MB). Is is a file size problem??

What i would like:
- My router working again.

If there is anything i can do please explain me and help me a bit.

thanks, ric
Sponsor
djmulder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
wait til someone had fun with a soldering iron and made a JTAG for the 610

next time read up on the forums and be aware that EVERYONE knows this firmware isn't ready yet for the 610.
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
djmulder wrote:
wait til someone had fun with a soldering iron and made a JTAG for the 610

next time read up on the forums and be aware that EVERYONE knows this firmware isn't ready yet for the 610.

sorry....someone actually from the forum email me that firmware saying to try it! so... well, i am willing to give that router to whoever wants to experiment a repair or something. If someone comes up with a better solution i am willing to try.

what i am trying to understand is WHY the original 7.1 MB firmware with tftp gets to 51% and then is transfer cancelled. the ping looks ok...idk, maybe if someone helps me to understand why the original won't upload but whatever other would...maybe from the answer to WHY we can figure out HOW to fix it.
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jtag it to unbrick it if needed. (Read these post) search does work.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=205900#205900
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=202903#202903
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=205660#205660
hans_lt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

tftp is not an option. Its the limitation in firmware. Files more than 4 Mb do not load.
(CMD: [load -raw -addr=0x807a60b0 -max=0x3a0000 :] )

I had the same problem (bricked 610N by flashing dd-wrt)

For me instead of JTAG it was easier to solder serial connection (with audio jack).

Look and read around (nick reames in dd-wrt forum):
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=16733
and
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

I used reames solution: noname Nokia DKU-5 $8, audio jack $1 and asked my frend with better experience to solder.
Realy easy, soldering points cleary visible and big enough.
In my unit it was slight difference in command
CFE> load -raw -addr=0x807a60b0 -max=0x800000 :

Look what your unit displays at boot time and adjust the command.
Also look carefully how many bytes you upload and recalculate next command. With current firmware .18 the size is OK, but...

Last edited by hans_lt on Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:50; edited 1 time in total
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
hans_lt wrote:
Hi

tftp is not an option. Its the limitation in firmware. Files more than 4 Mb do not load.
I had the same problem (bricked by flashing dd-wrt)

For me instead of JTAG it was easier to solder serial connection (with audio jack).

Look and read around :
and
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

I paid for noname Nokia DKU-5 $8, audio jack $1 and asked my frend with better experience to solder.

Also look carefully how many bytes you upload and recalculate next command. With current firmware .18 the sixe is OK, but...

Thanks so much! .... But, there is a problem. I am just a normal user; could you explain this to me like i am a 5 year old? I mean i need to know how, with a pc or a mac i get the thing working building jtag or the cable you are saying. And to whoever is out there, i think that a little guide for who is not super advanced would be nice. something like A) for the JTAG - Other cable you need 1, 2, 3, 4 B) how to assemble the cable C) how to connect it to the pc - mac D) what software / commands you need to execute.

I know it's probably too much but i mean shouldn't knowledge be for everybody?I honestly don't understand a damn thing about all that is said in technical code...so would someone please explain me simply how to do this?It's a 200$ router and it would be a shame for me to throw it away- so, JTAG?other cable?what's the best way. (i already opened the router)
hans_lt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, you have 3 options:
1. Return router to the shop where you bought it and say "it is defective". They can't check, that it is bricked by flashing dd-wrt. So, change to good one.
2. Wait till dd-wrt supports 610N (can take months)
3. Open the box and solder. You lose warranty, but have gut chance to recover.

So, maybe 1. is best for you ?
For me 1. was not option. (bought in US, live in Europe)
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMARTINA wrote:
hans_lt wrote:
Hi

Look and read around :
and

I paid for noname Nokia DKU-5 $8, audio jack $1 and asked my frend with better experience to solder.

Also look carefully how many bytes you upload and recalculate next command. With current firmware .18 the sixe is OK, but...

Thanks so much! .... But, there is a problem. I am just a normal user; could you explain this to me like i am a 5 year old? I mean i need to know how, with a pc or a mac i get the thing working building jtag or the cable you are saying. And to whoever is out there, i think that a little guide for who is not super advanced would be nice. something like A) for the JTAG - Other cable you need 1, 2, 3, 4 B) how to assemble the cable C) how to connect it to the pc - mac D) what software / commands you need to execute.

I know it's probably too much but i mean shouldn't knowledge be for everybody?I honestly don't understand a damn thing about all that is said in technical code...so would someone please explain me simply how to do this?It's a 200$ router and it would be a shame for me to throw it away- so, JTAG?other cable?what's the best way. (i already opened the router)

Youre best bet is to go to linksys.com -> support

Start a support chat with a rep there

Tell him your router simply has the power light flashing. Let him walk you through his silly script. Finally he will offer an RMA number.

Return the device via the RMA and get a new one - no cost to you.

Just dont tell them you tried to flash DD-wrt Smile
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
hans_lt wrote:
Actually, you have 3 options:
1. Return router to the shop where you bought it and say "it is defective". They can't check, that it is bricked by flashing dd-wrt. So, change to good one.
2. Wait till dd-wrt supports 610N (can take months)
3. Open the box and solder. You lose warranty, but have gut chance to recover.

So, maybe 1. is best for you ?
For me 1. was not option. (bought in US, live in Europe)

No, 3 is better Wink well i live in europe too, bought it in the us...

I would like to know how to do this. Maybe someone can help me? What do i need to buy exactly, what software i need? I am not a total idiot about these things but i have really no idea of what to do with coding.
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
RMARTINA wrote:
hans_lt wrote:
Hi

Look and read around :
and

Tell him your router simply has the power light flashing. Let him walk you through his silly script. Finally he will offer an RMA number.

got it off ebay...idk it was as is and i thought it was a deal, it used to work haha before i bricked it. they did not give me any receipt or something, do they need it? i have original box and everything...
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMARTINA wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
RMARTINA wrote:
hans_lt wrote:
Hi

Look and read around :
and

got it off ebay...idk it was as is and i thought it was a deal, it used to work haha before i bricked it. they did not give me any receipt or something, do they need it? i have original box and everything...

I have RMA'd 3 year old Linksys stuff with no receipt - tell them you cant find the receipt and they will generally waive it "once".

The 610 is not that old so there will be no question of its warrenty status
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
[/quote]I have RMA'd 3 year old Linksys stuff with no receipt - tell them you cant find the receipt and they will generally waive it "once".

The 610 is not that old so there will be no question of its warrenty status[/quote]

Well i opened it once...does that matter?:ops:
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMARTINA wrote:
I have RMA'd 3 year old Linksys stuff with no receipt - tell them you cant find the receipt and they will generally waive it "once".

The 610 is not that old so there will be no question of its warrenty status[/quote]

Well i opened it once...does that matter?:ops:[/quote]

if there was a seal/label - you may be screwed.....

you can always try...... Worst case - they bill you for the new one they sent you.
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUY A NEW ONE WITH A RECEIPT

keep the new one

put the old bricked one in the new box and return it as the new one to where ever you buy the new one from saying 'Guys, dont give me defective stuff in the future!'

Laughing Laughing Laughing
RMARTINA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
gaganwalia wrote:
BUY A NEW ONE WITH A RECEIPT

keep the new one

put the old bricked one in the new box and return it as the new one to where ever you buy the new one from saying 'Guys, dont give me defective stuff in the future!'

Laughing Laughing Laughing

hahaha damn that's the idea....genius!! haha

and maybe even be seriously pissed at them huh lol hahahah

won't they cross check the SN/s!?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: