WRT610N BRICKED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
puckthefly wrote:
Quote:
I had the same problem when I attempted this and I had to use this to get it work:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=209668#209668

I can interrupt the bootup when i ping the router on boot up and try to load a firmware up.
At this moment i can get a "CFE>" prompt - but i cant write anything?!?!

I did not do a jtag on mine, I did the serial with the audio jack discussed in this thread but I could never get the boot to stop at the CMD prompt so I followed the above mentioned post to work with the CFE prompt.

Do you see this anywhere when it boots:

hans_lt wrote:

Try to load image 1.
CMD: [load -raw -addr=0x807a60b0 -max=0x3a0000 :]
Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:: Options:(null)

Scrolling text will stop here for 4-5 sec., router is waiting for tftp-ing image. And:

Loading: Failed.
Could not load :: Timeout occured

Write down the command as it looks on your device:

Mine actually had slightly different -addr part ( -addr=0x807a60c0 ), so be ready to change accordingly.

Instead of '-max=0x3a0000 :' write '-max=0x800000 :'

We're looking in particular for the "CMD: [load -raw -addr=0x807a60b0 -max=0x3a0000 :]"

Then I followed the previously mentioned post to get it loaded:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=209668#209668

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slione thanks for your help but i wont work under Windows XP and hyperterminal. I cant break the bootup and i cant type anything.

I have soldered a new jtag cable and this time it works! So i was able to tjtag it :)

I erased the nvram and the kernel but cant upload a firmware over tftp (it always stops). So i uploaded the original firmware over the jtag cable in roundabout 6 hours. After a reboot i got live signal from the router, he showed me a side at 192.168.1.1 to upload a firmware. So i have uploaded the original firmware again but this time over the http interface and after another reboot the router works fine - yippie!
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
puckthefly wrote:
I have soldered a new jtag cable and this time it works! So i was able to tjtag it :)

I erased the nvram and the kernel but cant upload a firmware over tftp (it always stops). So i uploaded the original firmware over the jtag cable in roundabout 6 hours. After a reboot i got live signal from the router, he showed me a side at 192.168.1.1 to upload a firmware. So i have uploaded the original firmware again but this time over the http interface and after another reboot the router works fine - yippie!

Glad to hear that you got it working! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 19:38    Post subject: tftp recovery Reply with quote
I seem to have bricked one of my WRT610N as well.
Since we now have DD-WRT builds which are smaller than 4MB, I kind of assumed that it should be possible to recover just using the CFE TFTP server, but this somehow doesn't work. I can tftp a file to the device, and the transfer succeeds
Code:
tftp> put dd-wrt.v24-12367_mini_usb_ftp_wrt610n.bin
Sent 3437568 bytes in 6.2 seconds

but the device will just go into the reboot loop afterwards anyway. 30/30/30 before and after a flash haven't helped. I've tried this with a variety of DD-WRT images, both new and old. Anything bigger than 3.8MB of course won't work, since the transfer fails.

Anyone got a good tip (before I set out to get the hardware for a serial port)?

Thanks,
Olli
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you set your tftp to binary?
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. Also tried tftp2 on Windows.

I've also made sure to get the "sweet spot" where the device will actually stop answering pings after the TFTP upload to indicate that it's writing flash. It never finishes with that here, though (waited 20 minutes)

Is tftp'ing a mini build known to work?

Best Regards,
Olli
dfguild
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 20:08    Post subject: I have the same issue -- Did you solve it? Reply with quote
owagner wrote:
Yes. Also tried tftp2 on Windows.

I've also made sure to get the "sweet spot" where the device will actually stop answering pings after the TFTP upload to indicate that it's writing flash. It never finishes with that here, though (waited 20 minutes)

Is tftp'ing a mini build known to work?

Best Regards,
Olli

Did you solve this? I just did the same and mine is in a reboot loop also.

Dave
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. I think I basically tried to tftp it everything from DD-WRT over re-signed DD-WRT builds up to splitted original firmwares without luck.

I'm now trying to get a serial console attached to see what's going on.
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
owagner wrote:
I'm now trying to get a serial console attached to see what's going on.

If you do it like RMARTINA does starting at this post: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=38 and follow his instuctions later in the thread you will get it to work. I did this to my rig and have had to recover it a few times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now got serial console attached, read-only (I don't want to void the warranty so obviously just yet). This is what I can see from the CFE tftp process:

Quote:

Wireless PCI nvram value is missing, use default!

Check CRC of image1

Len: 0x5F0000 (6225920) (0xBC040000)
Offset0: 0x1C (2Cool (0xBC04001C)
Offset1: 0x9D0 (2512) (0xBC0409D0)
Offset2: 0x103800 (1062912) (0xBC143800)
Header CRC:00 0xFEDA7B18
Calculate CRC: 0xFEDA7B18

Image 1 is OK
Try to load image 1.
Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:: Options:(null)
Loading: 
. 3437568 bytes read

Entry at 0x807a60b0

CMD: [boot -raw -z -addr=0x80001000 -max=0x3a0000 -fs=memory :0x807a60b0]

Loader:raw Filesys:memory Dev:eth0 File::0x807a60b0 Options:(null)

Loading: . 0 bytes read
Failed.
Could not load :0x807a60b0: Error
owagner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now managed to debrick the device using the aforementioned instructions originally from reames (thanks!), but without opening the WRT610N.

The serial port is actually available from the outside -- if you look carefully into the "Internet" ethernet jack, you can see 4 pads labeled GND, 3.3V, TX and RX on the PCB. There is probably some proper plug for this available to Linksys technicians.

Since I didn't have a DKU-5 cable nor a stash of MAX323s, I took an old WRT54GS, soldered two cables to it's second serial port (the device is easy to open and there are plenty of instructions for doing so on the net) and used this as a console gateway (actually using "remserial" to get the port onto my main linux box, since I didn't find minicom or similiar for dd-wrt)

I then simply held those two cable ends against the RX and TX pads in the WRT610N jack and pasted the load and flash commands into the terminal. GND connection was established using a crocodile clamp cable connected to the USB shielding frame on the WRT610N and the ethernet plugs shielding frames on the WRT54GS.

After literally 50 or so attempts -- it's really, really hard to hold the cables steady enough for the serial console to work properly -- I finally got them through, tftp'ed the original firmware and the WRT610N came up with a "Management Mode Firmware Update" web GUI, where I could then again flash the original firmware.

Incidentally, I'm still interested to know why TFTPing a <4GB DD-WRT image didn't work for me.

Best Regards,
Olli
belmarduk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I got a DKU-5 cable and connected it to the router as per documentation on this thread.

The problem is when the terminal is connected, I only see garbled text "YYYYYYYyyyyyy" on the terminal.

I don't know why. Anyone could shed some light over here?
belmarduk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
belmarduk wrote:
Okay, I got a DKU-5 cable and connected it to the router as per documentation on this thread.

The problem is when the terminal is connected, I only see garbled text "YYYYYYYyyyyyy" on the terminal.

I reversed the RX and TX cable and I can English text, mixed with random characters. Since I do not have Hyperterminal I am using Termite 2.3. I am not sure if this has to do with my issue!???
belmarduk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
belmarduk wrote:
belmarduk wrote:

I reversed the RX and TX cable and I can English text, mixed with random characters. Since I do not have Hyperterminal I am using Termite 2.3. I am not sure if this has to do with my issue!???

Good Lord. What an adventure. I followed the http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=209668#209668 and restored my router de-bricked.

For my DKU-5 setup I had to use the 4 pins, including the 3.3v pin to make the rig work.
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
belmarduk wrote:
Good Lord. What an adventure. I followed the http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=209668#209668 and restored my router de-bricked.

For my DKU-5 setup I had to use the 4 pins, including the 3.3v pin to make the rig work.

Smile Glad to hear you got it! It is quite an adventure. Laughing

Navigation

Jump to: