WRT54GS (Bridge) NEED GURU ASSISTANCE, PLEASE!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
HondoDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:04    Post subject: WRT54GS (Bridge) NEED GURU ASSISTANCE, PLEASE!!! Reply with quote
I have a linksys wrt54gs that I converted to a bridge. I have let it sit for several months (disconnected) and now I am ready to use it again. I have since flashed my main router (wrt350n) with DD-WRT and changed the ip subnet.

I can NOT remember what the ip address is for the wrt54gs. i probably have it written down somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

I've connected it up to my laptop and run wireshark, cain & able, nmap, arp and performed subnet ping as well. I can see it listed and can see the MAC but I have not been able to get the ip.

I know the user name is still root and I have the password but without the ip I can get in.

I have also tried the 30/30/30 reset and that's supposed to take it back to 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't.

this router is setup as a bridge using the bridge guide on this website. as part of the configuration, it's recommended that the dhcp server bbe disable otherwise, I would think I could narrow the search to just one subnet.

any thoughts or ideas how I can get back into this router. or maybe you have a trick for one of the tools I have been using that maybe I haven't tried.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer... I hate to have to pitch the router, it's brand new.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
A hard reset will restore defaults unless you are using builds from over a year ago. See note 1 of the peacock on that issue.

Redhawk0 has posted a utility for finding IPs that might also be useful...you'll have to search for it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also if it's an older GS be careful doing a 30/30/30 you could brick it.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
HondoDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's a v7.2
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mordak wrote:
Also if it's an older GS be careful doing a 30/30/30 you could brick it.

Good point though....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
HondoDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
btw, this had been functioning when it was in service. the only thing I've doen to it was...

change the password.
change the ip (can't remember to what).
disabled dhcp
unplugged it and let it sit
tried to ping it, guess ip's
performed 30/30/30 reset (i have tried BOTH buttons - front behind emblem and back where you stick a ren or paperclip in the hole whie doing the reset)
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
HondoDDWRT wrote:
...performed 30/30/30 reset

If you have disabled the reset button in the gui then you need to reset it by holding the button down for 4 minutes with the unit off.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
HondoDDWRT wrote:

If you have disabled the reset button in the gui then you need to reset it by holding the button down for 4 minutes with the unit off.

Have you been drinkin again? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
HondoDDWRT wrote:

Check your facts.. I thought it was 20 minutes.. Very Happy
Actually.. I'll find the thread.. It may have been 40 minutes.. It is all a blur. This is a fluid situation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

I only post things I have done as facts.
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
GeeTek wrote:
HondoDDWRT wrote:

Actually.. I'll find the thread.. It may have been 40 minutes.. It is all a blur. This is a fluid situation.
LMAO!!! At least 40 minutes. Laughing Laughing Laughing

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
HondoDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
so I'm sure I am understanding the recommendation...

press reset button for 30 seconds POWERED

keep reset button pressed for 20-40 minutes UNPOWERED

then with button still pressed apply POWER for 30 sec

I don't belive it's bricked since it functioned before and truly all I have done is try the 30/30/30 reset and try like heck to guess the ip.

it will definately be written on the bottom of the router from now on IF I can get it working again.

I have even contemplated installing ubuntu (linux) and running aircrack (to see if I can get in wirelessly) but the wireless nic is problematic according to various ubuntu forum postings.

I am currently 12 minutes into the powered down pressing of the button. please confirm I am doing what you recommend properly.

thanks!!!
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
HondoDDWRT wrote:
I am currently 12 minutes into the powered down pressing of the button. please confirm I am doing what you recommend properly.

thanks!!!
How that finger tip doing? Wink Laughing

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think some folks are pulling your leg..... Confused
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
More importantly, did it work? Smile

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: