WRT600N brick! SERIAL PORT DEBRICK. [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
hjf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT600N V1 with similar symptoms. But it was working OK before it failed, didn't change the config or anything, power just went out and the thing refuses to boot anymore:

1. Power light is ON for a few seconds
2. Power light blinks
3. All LAN lights lit up
4. All lights out
5. GOTO 1

Tried a 30/30/30 and no luck so I disassembled it and found the serial port header as in this page: http://wiki.zeropain.com/index.php/WRT600N/V11_Serial_Port

Should I try what's described here?
What could have happened to the router anyway?

Edit: never mind. I did it via serial port, nvram erase and then rebooted. Last message I saw before clearing NVRAM is that it was trying to initialize it as a WRT54GL. After erase, DD-WRT detected my router as a WRT600N.
Sponsor
we4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hjf wrote:
Edit: never mind. I did it via serial port, nvram erase and then rebooted. Last message I saw before clearing NVRAM is that it was trying to initialize it as a WRT54GL. After erase, DD-WRT detected my router as a WRT600N.

That's exactally what mine was doing, but I wasnt as lucky with the clearing fixing it.

Maybe this is some sort of bug that needs to be fixed?
Hellboy_007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 17:40    Post subject: WRT600N have no Ping after... Reply with quote
Hi,

I have fallow one tread that said that I could use firts the mini file of the WRT610N on my WRT600N (and it did worked) and then proceed to upgrade directly to the 610N MEGA file for my WRT600N, and after that, I am not able to access my router anymore Sad(((.

I know praticly nothing about router, how can i get it back to work please... I am very sad about my lost. I cant aford a new one... pfff what I've done (and no it's not a Linkin Park song )

Thank's

Philippe
ass. eng. Dalsa Semiconductor

Last edited by Hellboy_007 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 18:25; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
power cycle the device, after it boots, then do a hard reset (30/30/30).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I tried that already. It's been unplug for the night, so I will try it after work in a few hours. But I dout that it will be diffrent this time.

After the update, the router was not able to reconnect to the 192.168.1.1 gui page. I tried to ping it, but it was not responding. I think i did a mistake by plug it in the Wless connection.(Blue one). I will try to do it again to night, trough the orange connection. But then againt, I dont think that.....

Thank,s

Any other hint will greathly apreciated

Philippe
Ass. Eng. Dalsa Semiconductor
Hellboy_007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 23:47    Post subject: Fiouuuu Reply with quote
Hi,

After a beer or two and a one for the luck 30/30 reset... I gain back access to my router. Wast it the beer or the reset... will never know ! ;-)

But, being a realy not knowlegable about anything concerning router, I have no more internet acces trought the blue connector. So this meen, I probably update the dd-wrt firmware for nothing faverable for me.

Does anyone know or can help me to put back my internet acces with my WRT600N.

Thank's

Philippe
Ass. Eng. Dalsa Semiconductor
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hellboy_007 wrote:
But, being a realy not knowlegable about anything concerning router, I have no more internet acces trought the blue connector. So this meen, I probably update the dd-wrt firmware for nothing faverable for me.

Does anyone know or can help me to put back my internet acces with my WRT600N.

Power cycle your modem. Your MACs have changed.

Se7en is Darker...
maclover201
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 18:56    Post subject: Debricking WRT600N via TFTP Reply with quote
I managed to unbrick my WRT600N that I bricked yesterday with the following symptoms:

-Solid Power LED
-No Wireless or Security Lights
-Ethernet lights worked
-Would sporadically reset after a few seconds (Ethernet lights and Internet light turn orange)

Here's how I did it (without serial!)

-Download this build of the stock Linksys firmware from a working Internet connection. Since the WRT is being recognized as the wrong model by DD-WRT because of corrupt NVRAM settings, this will help us clear the NVRAM.
-Unplug the router.
-Open a terminal, cd to where you saved the firmware, and run tftp.
-Enter the following commands.
Code:
connect 192.168.1.1
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
trace

-Open another terminal. Run:
Code:
ping 192.168.1.1

-In TFTP, type (but don't run yet!):
Code:
put WRT600N_1.01.36_build_4_20080514_US.bin

-Follow these steps exactly. Make sure to have a pen handy to reset the router.
-Plug in the router. Watch the pings. When you start receiving packets from the router, press Enter on TFTP. TFTP should connect and send the stock Linksys firmware.
-When the firmware is sent, wait 5 seconds, then hold down the RESET button on the router with a pen. Keep holding it down until the router reboots (30-40 seconds). Hold it down for another 30 seconds after that.
-The NVRAM should have been cleared. In this case, the unit's Wireless LEDs should turn on. Give it a couple minutes to settle if necessary, then it should assign your computer an address with DHCP.
-Reboot and flash the WRT600N mini version specifically made for TFTP within 5 seconds of boot. (You can find it on the router database). Use the commands I mentioned above for TFTP as well. This version of stock firmware cannot be easily flashed from within the web interface.
-Wait 5 seconds after TFTP finishes. Hold the reset button until the device reboots.
-Flash the Mega version with the web interface. Reset factory settings after you flash just to make sure everything's cleared.
-You're done! Not only is your device unbricked, but it's running the latest version of DD-WRT as well!

Hope this helps anyone having similar problems.

-Morgan

Linksys WAP54G V3.1 as AP - DD-WRT v24 micro
Linksys WRT54G V4.0 as AP - DD-WRT v24 std

Second Network:
D-Link DIR-655 as Router - Stock Firmware
alphawork
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
where do you get the cable to attach the pin ports. The picture shows special cable that doe snot require solder. I like to do the same but can't find these cable. It has 3 pin connector cable.

help please.
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i used an max232 from ebay for about £5 including shipping. and putty on an xp machine, worked fine for me Smile Although i did have to take the metal plate off the serial port on it to get mine to plug into the computer...

I don't know about non-soldering solution... i got some sort of header pins from my local electronics shop... tiny and on a strip, i just soldered this on with no problems, a little fiddly trying not to get the solder to short the connection but was successful :)

check out this thread for my solution.
wgmann03
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this possible w/ a Cisco Console cable?

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
wgmann03 wrote:
Is this possible w/ a Cisco Console cable?

Nope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
dang, I have a stack of about 30 of them where the dd-wrt flash got hosed. I got one up and running trying the tftp break and it worked.

Though the odds of getting all 30 up are looking grim. =\
Vaako
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have de-brick the wrt600n via Nokia CA-42 USB serial cable with windows Hyper terminal, i enabled ethernet ports with:
Quote:
ifconfig eth0 -addr=192.168.1.1 -mask=255.255.255.0
thanks to: zargalo

I could flash the initial TFTP DD-WRT version for the WRT600N and Voilà the router is working again.
I did a 30/30/30 and flash BrainSlayer's
Quote:
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin
and again the 30/30/30/ and now my router is not responding anymore, by power up the ethernet led's goes on and off again and the power led stays lid.
No TTL signals available at the internal connector!!! Sad

I think i have choosed the wrong NEWD-2 firmware for my router but wich NEWD-2 works with the WRT600N who can confirm that?

Now the only option is to de-assemble the flash chip with hot-air and program the chip with a programmer and put it back in it's place.

Can some of you look in thiere wrt600n witch flash chip is inside i realy like to now that, i think there are diferent versions of flash chips used in v1.0 and v1.1 please can some confirm this?

Flash chip: Samsung K8D6316UBM-P107Dual Bank NOR Flash Memory 48 pin TSOP.
My WRT600N is a v1.1 and is Manufactured: 05/2008.

I refuse to give up on the WRT600N and try to let him live again!

All help is welcome and if i succeed, i'll help others for FREE to de-brick thier WRT600N (with no waranty).

Regards,
Vaako

1x Netgear R7800 Nighthawk - firmware not decided yet !!!!
1x Netgear R7000 Nighthawk r36410
1x Ubiquiti RouterStation Pro DD-WRT r23204 std (12/24/13)
1x Asus RT-N16 SVN revision 20675 NEWD-2 K2.6
1x Linksys E4200 v3.0 r34777 mega (01/31/18 )
1x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH B0 B0 Gargoyle FW
1x Linksys WRT600N v1.1 (Bricked)
1x Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 (DD-WRT 26446)
1x Linksys WRT54GS v2.2 (DD-WRT 26446)
1x Linksys RVS4000 (stock fw)
3x D-Link DWL-7100AP (openWRT)
2x TP-Link TL-WA801ND (Bridge mode) 100mW TX-Power
Asus WL-520GU SVN 16403M NEWD-2 Eko std-nokaid
4x Fonera with Gargoyle FW
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
check your power supply.. flashing the wrong build or doing a reset will not mess up the cfe and prevent serial from working. Double check your serial connection.

Short rx to tx on the adapter and see if your key strokes are echo'd in the terminal.

My 600 flash chip has the same numbers yours does.

Do not embarrass yourself using a hot air gun. Get some stuff called "quik chip". You can also use the air gun but the hot air gun by itself, you will bend the chip pins and that makes re-installing the chip a pita.

Use solder paste to put the chip back assuming it comes to the point you need to r & r the chip. I don't think you do.

Navigation

Jump to: