Bullet 2 Wireless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
dieselpower
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is exactly why I started using Mikrotik, it was cheaper at $49 a board including the license, plus IMHO, RouterOS is much better. Just because we make money with a router does not mean we have plenty to spare!
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
but mt hardware is a piece of crap and ddwrt beats ros in wireless performance. it doubles the throughput on the same hw.
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
ubnt serves professional users, even if they have low price devices. ddwrt will be free for consumer devices. if u will make profit with it there should be no problem on paying on licenses. u must understand that the ddwrt/newmedia-net guys must pay there rents, too

there's surely no "profit" in our co-op wisp (members pay for their own equipment), and there's a free version of DD that runs on "consumer" devices costing 5x the price of a 2.4 bullet, so your argument is spurious.

we'll probably just use their stock firmware - the bullet formfactor is too compelling to pass up even if DD for bullet is exorbitant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:50    Post subject: Bullet2hp dd-wrt activated, NO WAN IP Reply with quote
Anyone have this issue? I have it set to AP and WAN DHCP auto, and although I configured it via the wired port with a st cable, it wont get an adress from the modem with either a st cable or crossover cable. I have other routers with dd-wrt, and never had this happen before. Also IG DISSAPPOINTMENT that there is no REPEATER function, so this router will connect a LAN, but thats it. Its useless this way, I dont want to go back to AirOS, since I am good with dd-wrt, and dont know squat aout AirOS. Anyody have this issue? I tried reseting everything, and every other trick I know, it just wont take an adress from the modem, although it should.
Perfect Cantenna: Use the big spagetti sauce cans, 3-1/4" diameter. Make the element 31mm long, and place the element exactly 2-1/2" from the bottom of the can. The dimentions are critical, and these are perfect.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:

there's surely no "profit" in our co-op wisp (members pay for their own equipment), and there's a free version of DD that runs on "consumer" devices costing 5x the price of a 2.4 bullet, so your argument is spurious.

we'll probably just use their stock firmware - the bullet formfactor is too compelling to pass up even if DD for bullet is exorbitant.

then u will have no problem with buying the licence cause u will be much cheaper than the 5x price of the consumer product.
but if u dont need the features u can stay at the airos.

TinCanWaveguide wrote:
Also IG DISSAPPOINTMENT that there is no REPEATER function, so this router will connect a LAN, but thats it. Its useless this way,

wiki: repeater !

&
RTFM/STFW
&

Last edited by Sash on Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:10; edited 1 time in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
client + vap = repeater. so why you are disappointed? only on broadcom a special repeater mode is required. for atheros based devices you can do it with standard client mode. just add a vap

and never forget to press apply if you enable wan. otherwise you just save settings and nothing else

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
client + vap = repeater. so why you are disappointed? only on broadcom a special repeater mode is required. for atheros based devices you can do it with standard client mode. just add a vap

Thanks for thinfo, that makes me happy.
BrainSlayer wrote:
and never forget to press apply if you enable wan. otherwise you just save settings and nothing else

It can be disaled? Is it disabled by default? I mised that, and that would certainly explain my issues with it. I'll plug it back in and have another look. I dont suppose you might direct me to the right page? Somehow, I missed that, and I thought I went through it all pretty well.

Perfect Cantenna: Use the big spagetti sauce cans, 3-1/4" diameter. Make the element 31mm long, and place the element exactly 2-1/2" from the bottom of the can. The dimentions are critical, and these are perfect.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
the setup page.
and just to inform u cause u will claim it in 5 min: u cant connect wired when u enable wan. only per wireless

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
ubnt serves professional users, even if they have low price devices. ddwrt will be free for consumer devices. if u will make profit with it there should be no problem on paying on licenses. u must understand that the ddwrt/newmedia-net guys must pay there rents, too

Hi,

What is the standard to determine if the device is for consumer or for professional use?
Price? Brand? TX power? Color??
Sorry to ask, but the criteria is a little confuse to me.

I have 2 bullets in my backyard, linking my house with my sister's house (about 70m apart). Is this consumer, right? Definitely, I DON'T have any profit at all!

Another point to be considered: perhaps in the past Ubiquit devices was intended only to professional market, but not anymore. For example, the picostation doesn't look to be aimed to professional market. In fact, the only reason I don't have a couple picostations is because I can't fount at any store.

Regards.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
it depends on the target group of the vendor and/or the plattform ->
ubnt : prof. (outdoor devices with high power)
IXP : prof.
broadcom : consumer
atheros soc : consumer or prof (depends on the device)

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 20:07    Post subject: Ubiquity Reply with quote
I got my bullet working correctly now, thanks, everyone. The best part is how much more I learned from doing it.
Ubiquity sort of stuck us on the marketing, advertising "WISP Solutions", as in wireless internet service provider" = professional, as well as the intracacy of their systems.... they sure aren't exactly "plug-n-play", now, are they?
I'd sure be interested in a failover aggregation script that uses a wireless ap as failover for the WAN, should that become unavailable, or even a short list of possible wireless ap's depending on propagation.... I live right in the middle of a plethora of public hotspots (love las vegas for that, I haven't been out of range of SOMETHING that will get me online, in 5 years), I COULD expli\oit those, if I needed to, I'd sure be into a script that did that automaticly.

ackray
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mw1001 wrote:
What is the standard to determine if the device is for consumer or for professional use?

For me that's pretty simple. If I am doing this for a client, even if I am using consumer hardware, then it's a Professional use and the client will get charged for a License.

The big difference here is that I will be the one making the determination as to what is required for the job at hand. For most of my installs an off the shelf wifi router will be fine. However if the client needs a simple PPTP VPN or a WDS or any of the other features that DD-WRT offers then it's a pro install and a paid license.

Considering the fact that in my last switch over I went from a DI-808HV to an netgear FVS and the cost of the client software plus the install and configuration time the hotel would have been better off with DD-WRT.

As far as I'm concerned this is a pretty straight forward issue. We get the 'consumer' version to play around with and learn about the software. The Pro version is for these guys to stay in business. Fair enough.

I just saw the Ubiquiti line for the first time and I'm impressed. The hardware looks very cool. Considering what bridges used to cost this stuff is awesome!

On another note it might not be a bad idea to come up with a special license for Non-Profits. Essentially anything that is tax exempt should get a break on the price or a free version. In the States I believe the you get the cost of the product that you donate as a tax write-off. Not sure how it works where you are though.
Pir8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

The thing is that by doing it this way you will not be able to login wirelessly to the VAP if the router gets disconnected (client side). In order to the VAP to be available the Atheros device needs to be connected to another router as a client. If not then you will have to connect to the atheros device via cable and that my friend is a real inconvenience. Unlike the Broadcom devices with repeater mode where you will always get your VAP available in case of the need of reconfiguration of the client side.

Very Happy
TinCanWaveguide
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pir8 wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

The thing is that by doing it this way you will not be able to login wirelessly to the VAP if the router gets disconnected (client side). In order to the VAP to be available the Atheros device needs to be connected to another router as a client. If not then you will have to connect to the atheros device via cable and that my friend is a real inconvenience. Unlike the Broadcom devices with repeater mode where you will always get your VAP available in case of the need of reconfiguration of the client side.

Very Happy

Only if the router is configured to hand off NAT DHCP to the AP, and NOT if you simply assign static settings.

ddwrtmp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 21:55    Post subject: no wifi tab on bullet 2 (non m2 non hp) Reply with quote
Im bringing this old thread back to see what specific versions people got this working on.

I have 5 Bullet 2 (non hp non M2) that I want to install and activate DD-WRT on , but I get no wireless settings tab in the web UI using any of the firmwares listed for the bullet 2

I started with the reccomended one - v24 pre sp2 13064
no wifi tab so I went to v24 pre sp2 14896 via web upgrade with defaults). Still no wifi.

Does any one know what the latest build that works with these is?

My Bullet2 is running AR2317 (per gui sys info)

any help other than "READ:" would be much appreciated.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: